News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How did I not think of this? DEAN WINTERS in a remake of DIRTY HARRY!!  (Read 7886 times)
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »

I was thinking about this....Dean Winters...the mighty Ryan O'Reilly from the HBO series OZ, would be an absolute PERFECT FIT as a Dirty Harry movie remake!!!

I know the faithful will immediately disapprove of this...but let me say, if you havent seen OZ...please before you comment...see the series.

It would completely work.

Your thoughts?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-XNj-AdfwQ

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »

Hmmm ... I saw a couple of episodes of Oz, but it was a few years back. Don't recall Dean Winters, though.

On the evidence of those clips on YouTube, he's a pleasant-faced youth, but I can't see him as Harry Callahan ... though he'd be ten years older now, and actually older than Clint was for the original film.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:55:20 PM by KC » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:53:19 PM »

I remember Dean Winters in Oz and then in the first season or maybe two of Law And Order: SVU. I can't picture him as Dirty Harry though. :)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:42:59 PM »

Most people see him as "Mayhem" in the ALLSTATE commercials. But he has the entire thing. Slight build, soft voice, steely eyed squint.

KC, you really REALLY should see OZ at length. Aside from it being probably one of the best television shows of all time, the Ryan O'Reilly character that Dean Winters played was as steely eyed as they came.

Here is "MAYHEM"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFhM945dXok&feature=channel

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:55:37 PM »

Well, to me he doesn't even look much like "Mayhem"! ;)
Aline

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »

If a Dirty Harry remake is going to be made someday, William Fichtner would be the actor for it.

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »

It was bad enough there were a few bad sequels to the original Dirty Harry, the last thing we need is a remake...
I2211

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »

Hi All--
I'm new to the board, but I've been lurking for some time.  Clint Eastwood is one of the greatest screen actors to grace the screen--in particular, his Harry Callahan character is as timeless as The Man With No Name from Sergio Leone's great '60s Spaghetti Western trifecta.  It's nice to see so many fervent Eastwoodians.

Anyway, to get on topic, I recall Dean "The Dream" Winters very fondly from his role as Ryan O'Reilly in HBO's gritty prison drama, OZ.  While I like Dean, he's NO Harry Callahan.  I say this for two reasons: Clint made Harry his--and his alone; second, thinking about Dean in his role as O'Reilly from OZ, he portrayed a cunning, conniving psychopath with a well-developed set of survival skills, and that doesn't mesh well with the image that I have of the tough, ferocious--but always honorable--Harry Callahan.  I just can't image a portrayal of Harry coming from him.

I2211

P.S.--Like a few others have stated, I must agree: let's spare DIRTY HARRY the anguish of a pathetically inferior remake.  Too many other classics have been tarnished by these remake shenanigans.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T