News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: seigal and dirty harry's  (Read 2563 times)
icnmedia

Email
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:06:01 AM »

Just wondering, as I watched my dirty harry marathon, why Don Seigal didnt direct any of the others???
Anyone have a clue?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:16:56 AM »

Don Seigal didn't direct ANY "Dirty Harry" films. Or any films at all, as far as I know.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:28:24 AM »

^ ;D

While I was watching Magnum Force the other day, I wondered why Siegel hadn't directed it. I figured he might have been busy with another project if he was, in fact, offered the film. Does anybody know about that, or have any details? Was Siegel offered any of the Dirty Harry sequels?

Chris, I don't know for sure, but I think Siegel was never considered for any of the Harry sequels, or perhaps, given the quality of the scripts, he just wasn't interested. According to Schickel's Clint Eastwood (p. 299-300), the deal for the first sequel, Magnum Force, was concluded between John Milius and Eastwood based on Milius's idea:

What if, Milius asked [Eastwood], Harry Callahan's San Francisco police department found itself harboring such an organization [of vigilante cops, like groups that had been active in Brazil]? [Eastwood] was immediately enthusiastic. The story was novel, and it would give his character a chance to establish unequivocably his antifascist credentials. He and Milius quickly made a deal.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
icnmedia

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »

Thanx, Kid!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:23:00 AM »

Nice job digging that old question of mine up, SK!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T