News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Sad, shed a Tear" Thread  (Read 50341 times)
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: June 18, 2007, 09:19:01 AM »

LIFE can be cruel sometimes,  :( .
I don't want to sound morbid but, I thought I would start a thread with sad things that happen. Hoping that we can learn from the different tragedies that happen.

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:21:08 AM »

Know what to do in a lightning storm!

WARNING!! The following thread is a sad one! (NO pictures, don't worry)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070618.LIGHTNING18/TPStory/National

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:02:43 PM »

That's really sad, CL.  :'(

There's only one thing I'm sad about. My good friend has anorexia. She will go to England to be an au pair in autumn and I'm afraid we will never see her again. We've tried to talk to her, but with no results.  :'(

Oh, there is actually another thing. I didn't get to school as I already said in The Endless Pointless thread..  :-\

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 01:13:14 PM »

Many blessing for your friend Satu!!  :'(

Sorry about not getting into school, next year hopefully??  :)

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 03:31:42 PM »

satu , perhaps when your friend gets to England things may improve.    It is such a dreadful problem and so difficult to help the sufferer.
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 01:12:12 AM »

I'm not very optimistic with her situation. She is so thin already (30-32 kilos), and she doesn't admit she has a problem.  :'( I don't think things will get better when she goes there. The au pair family in England has seen her picture and said nothing. But they couldn't see her arms in the picture, then they would have noticed if they had seen them. My friends have talked to her mom (although I'm not sure of that, they shut me out of the whole thing :(). I hope they can convince at least her about my friend's problem.

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 10:43:32 AM »

Know what to do in a lightning storm!

Such a shame, if they'd known to stay away from the tree they might have been OK.  Stay safe: http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=368088

What it doesn't mention is that if you are caught outside, try to get your feet off the ground.  If you have a rucksack on, sit/squat on it.  My mum, sister and I were once walking on some fells in Northumberland in an electric snow storm, when our hair suddenly stood on end, and there was a really weird feeling, buzzing sounds, an atmosphere I haven't experienced before.  We got out of there asap!
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:05:55 AM »

This lightning stuff is quite interesting.  I found a better safety site: http://therucksack.tripod.com/lightning.htm

There also seems to be debate about whether getting insulation between yourself and the ground is effective http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,919_P,00.html Personally I'd rather try it just in case it did work!

"In a high-risk situation, assuming the lightning-safety position on some kind of insulating material may offer the right person at the right time some protection," says Eric Johnson, M.D., a physician in Idaho who specializes in outdoor medicine and training. It can't hurt in other words.

Wikipedia has some detail on the physics of lightning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 09:54:15 AM »

My friends 3 year old was just diagnosed with Stevens Johnson Syndrome. It started out with her having blisters in her mouth and they moved to the outside of her mouth and now have enveloped her whole face and moved down her body. Her eyes have almost shut with the swelling and if she gets the blisters on her eyes it could result in blindness. She is currently in a burn unit being treated. Please pray for her! Thank you, CL!  :'(

SJS can effect anybody at any time and is due to a allergic reaction to over the counter medicines! SJS can be fatal!! Please read the following link and protect yourselves!

http://www.sjsupport.org/

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »

What a terrible thing to afflict a small child! I hope she has a complete recovery!
lovelyrita

Yeah? Well I've got MediCare, go ahead and shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 10:36:57 PM »

LIFE can be cruel sometimes,  :( .
I don't want to sound morbid but, I thought I would start a thread with sad things that happen. Hoping that we can learn from the different tragedies that happen.

Actually this is a good thread. I am a social worker and bad things happen to good people all the time.  Satu, I also feel for your friend who has the eating disorder. I have seen the disorder first hand and it is a difficult one for those who suffer from it to conquer. There is so much in life we can't control. Although many people view these behaviors as self-destructive , most individuals who develop eating disorders do not usually perceive their behaviors as hurting themselves. The most common reason professionals hear from people about why they began self-starvation is that at some point they felt terribly out of control. I feel for your friend.

My husband  died when my daughter was a little girl, it was tough, not only for me but for our daughter. I am proud of her as she has turned into a fine human being (I wouldn't know what to do without her and she is the best part of him) but she was cheated not having a "Dad".  I was really "crazy" about him. Whenever I listen to Etta James song, "At Last" it describes our relationship. We were "evenly yoked".  There is a line in the movie "Moonstruck" when Loretta says to her father about her husband passing away, "How did I know he was a gift I wasn't able to keep."  That sums it up for me. Sorry to run on, thx CL for starting this thread and allowing us to share.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:34:58 PM by lovelyrita » Logged
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »

:'( Sorry to hear about that lovelyrita. It sounds like you are a strong lady! Your right, alot of bad stuff happens to good people, and from these bad things it makes them stronger! Take care and keep looking up!!  O0

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »

I just heard on the radio that Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with cancer and only has 5 weeks to live.

Livenews.com.au

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »

I just heard on the radio that Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with cancer and only has 5 weeks to live.

This is so very sad!!! I really like Patrick Swayze!!! God Bless him, I hope he can fight the cancer!

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »

Wolf issued a written statement from his physician, Dr. George Fisher that said: "Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment."

"All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue," Fisher said in the statement. "We are considerably more optimistic."
Link

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »

I was a little hesitant to post that this morning thinking it may not be true, but thought the radio down here are usually pretty reliable with their info.

Good to hear it's not as bleak as first reported.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 09:46:40 PM »

It's still pretty bleak, though. Here's hoping he responds well to treatment.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 02:56:54 AM »

I second your thought KC.   It is very sad but he seems to be fighting hard according to our news this morning.
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »

It has been a sad day for finns.  :'(

I was at school today when we heard that someone has been shooting in a school in Kauhajoki. These kind of things rarely happen in our country, and was a huge shock for everyone. Especially because a year ago in Jokela there was a shooting just like this one. The guy who did the shooting today, tried to execute it the same way that it was done last year. Same caliber and everything. He put a video in youtube where he shoots with his gun and says "you'll die next". And that was just days before he actually started shooting. He was 22 years old and he was a student in that school. 11 got killed.

Today it felt kind of unsafe at school.  :-\

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 01:17:04 PM »

satu we heard the news in the UK today and we were sad to learn so many had been killed.   There seems to be no reason for the killings and I can understand why you would feel unsafe at school today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T