News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who would have loved to see Clint Eastwood as Harmonica in OUATITW?  (Read 14935 times)
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« on: July 20, 2007, 09:36:48 AM »

Sure, Charles Bronson was outstanding as Harmonica. I'm not doubting that for one second. I think it was Bronson's best role. Sergio Leone really got the best out of him.

Clint Eastwood was originally offered the part though. It would have been cool to see Clint work with Leone once again. I think he would have gave just as great a performance as Bronson.

Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite film of all time and being that Clint is one of my favorite actors, it would have been nice to see him there in this. He was also offered one of the three roles in the classic opening. The three gunman, Jack Elam, Woodie Strode, and Al Moluck. Sergio wanted Clint, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach to play these parts. Could you imagine the shock to see the three of these guy's all gunned down right off the bat!

Although Van Cleef and Wallach agreed to do it, Clint declined saying it would have took away the legend of those three great characters in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I guess he may have been right but it still would have been nice to see him in this.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
Fhil
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 02:18:53 PM »

If he were in the film it would've taken some of the crippling boredom away from the movie I think.  :D
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 09:55:26 PM »

If he were in the film it would've taken some of the crippling boredom away from the movie I think.  :D

Boredom Fhil?!?! :o I respect your opinion but I highly disagree with you. Not one moment of this masterpiece was boring. Every scene was brilliant and has you on the edge of your seat every minute. It's a brilliant piece of cinema and in my opinion is the greatest film ever made. The direction, the cinematography, the acting, and the brilliant musical score by the great Ennio Morricone, are the best I've ever seen. You can clearly see in the filming that Leone took it to another level after The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I guess it's just a matter of taste. I think this is Leone's masterpiece.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
TheDutchman

"Much faster than you'll ever live to be.."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:30:18 AM »

I don't think he would be suitable for the role. Even though Eastwood is a great actor. Charles Bronson has a friendly look, and he looks like he doesn't take his enemies seriously and isn't scared.. Eastwood looks more pissed as if he can't stand it when people try to humiliate him. Bronson just laughs it all away and ends up taking revenge. With Clint it would have been a totally different character.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:31:44 AM by TheDutchman » Logged

"Some call it hell, but you're still in Oklahoma.."
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 08:43:13 AM »

I don't think he would be suitable for the role. Even though Eastwood is a great actor. Charles Bronson has a friendly look, and he looks like he doesn't take his enemies seriously and isn't scared.. Eastwood looks more pissed as if he can't stand it when people try to humiliate him. Bronson just laughs it all away and ends up taking revenge. With Clint it would have been a totally different character.

I agree with you Dutchman. You make great points here comparing the two actors. Clint does have a bit more serious look to him than Bronson. He may have been a bit to serious for the role of Harmonica.

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 12:26:01 PM »

I think Bronson was very good, though at times he's a bit too stoic. Eastwood you can just read his   silence. I personally think Eastwood would had brought more to the part. It would had been awesome to see Fonda and Eastwood together. Actually, someone asked Fonda once about Eastwood and he replied...." Outside Of Eastwood's Father, Sergio Leone did more for him than anyone.".......Something along those lines. ...hah...
I'm not sure that's from a Playboy Interview from 1981. I have to go find it because Fonda wasn't too thrilled with Leone from the way he expressed working with him. Fonda was a cranky man.
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 09:18:46 PM »

I am intrigued. I must see this film.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 02:58:24 AM »

Oh yeah, you need to see it.  Its on my top five westerns list.

WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 10:13:53 AM »

I personally think it's the greatest film ever made Richard Earl.

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 10:49:57 AM »

It is a great movie. The first 15 minutes of the gunmen waiting for Bronson may be the greatest thing Leone ever did. I always rag on Eastwood for turning some movies down, but I really wish he had done this. I realize he was tired of the same role, but It's a pity from a personal standpoint.
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »

Ditto with Richard Earl. Must go see this now.

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
cigar joe

easy come easy go

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 03:11:55 PM »

The thing you got to remember is that Eastwood wouldn't have been Blondie, Manco, or Joe he would have been some other character, Wallach wouldn't have been Tucom and Van Cleef wouldn't have been Angel Eyes or Mortimer. 

It may have been a whole differen't scenario all together with Eastwood, Wallach, and Van Cleef.  You know Elam and the fly was custom made for that lazy eye of his, who knows what Leone would have come up with with different characters.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 08:49:42 PM »

He was also offered one of the three roles in the classic opening. The three gunman, Jack Elam, Woodie Strode, and Al Moluck. Sergio wanted Clint, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach to play these parts. Could you imagine the shock to see the three of these guy's all gunned down right off the bat!

Although Van Cleef and Wallach agreed to do it, Clint declined saying it would have took away the legend of those three great characters in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I guess he may have been right but it still would have been nice to see him in this.

There is absolutely no evidence that I have ever seen to support this story. In fact, Eastwood has explicitly denied this. See these threads:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=5389.0

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=3736.0

From a 2005 interview:

(Interviewer:) And is it true that Leone offered to have you bury the myth of the Man with No Name by having your character shot to death in the first ten minutes of Once upon a Time in the West?

(Eastwood:) Not that I know of.  He offered me the role of the silent avenger that was eventually taken by, hmmmmmm ... Charlie Bronson.

That character with the cigar ... to be perfectly honest, I'd already played him three times. I thought: That's enough.

(My translation.) For those of you who know German, the link is here:
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/artikel/69/50019/
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 06:36:06 AM »

There is absolutely no evidence that I have ever seen to support this story. In fact, Eastwood has explicitly denied this. See these threads:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=5389.0

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=3736.0

From a 2005 interview:

(My translation.) For those of you who know German, the link is here:
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/artikel/69/50019/

I see what you're saying KC. I'm just reporting what I've read. I should of said rumor has it before the post.

lovelyrita

Yeah? Well I've got MediCare, go ahead and shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 04:10:32 PM »

Ditto with Richard Earl. Must go see this now.

Yes both of you, Alcatraz and Richard Earl have to see OUATITW. It is undoubtably one of the finest westerns ever made. It was never boring. I will agree that its pace was slow and it definitely had a somber quality but Leone took his time telling the story. You know I love Clint. He is brilliant in so many ways, not to mention how good he is to look at. ;)..but I could never imagine anyone other than Bronson as Harmonica. One of my favorite scenes is when he glances back at Jill, my heart sinks...Please take some time and watch this most amazing movie made by one of the greatest directors in my life time.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 04:14:26 PM by lovelyrita » Logged
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 05:00:19 PM »

I hope you've all seen it! ;)

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 09:07:08 PM »

That is one of those as well as Shane that is on my to see list.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »

That is one of those as well as Shane that is on my to see list.

Shane's another classic. Shane is also one of many films LEONE modeled Once Upon a Time in the West after. It was Sergio's homage to his favorite western films, and what was made was MESMERIZING. It's just a brilliant film, a masterpiece.

MakeItVin

I admire your notion of fair odds, Mister!

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »

Yeah, Bronson was great in the movie.  I don't know what would have happened if Clint had been in that role.  Would Henry Fonda have opted out?  Heh!Heh!Heh! 
Dr.ScuttlePants

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 10:39:52 AM »

No I think it would have been a bad idea.

Bronson was a good choice. Bringing Eastwood back wouldn't have been good.
He'd basically play the same character he played in the Dollars trilogy.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T