News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gran Torino: Production Information & News.  (Read 166319 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »

With you on this Philo... It must be extra difficult to remain cool with cameras pointing at you from every direction.. One slip of the tongue and your plasterd all over the net..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
FJD

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »

I have been following this story with you guys and if it is Dirty Harry that would be great. My absolute first response though, when I first saw anything about this was that it was a western. I read Gran Torino and I thought western. Nothing else came into my mind and I even used to own a Gran Torino back in the day.
The Highlander

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2008, 05:31:23 PM »

Thats funny SK, I was just about to post that clip....

Clint says 'thats another era' when asked about bringing back Dirty Harry!

I can't tell for sure, but did Clint say "That's another era" or did he say, "That's another error." ?  Either way would say the same thing: that he is NOT playing Dirty Harry again.  I had thought he said "error" as if to dispel the current claims that his new movie will be a Dirty Harry movie.  But I guess he could have said "era" to say that the Dirty Harry series is from a time long ago & that its time has passed.
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2008, 08:09:15 PM »

As far as the YouTube clip goes, if that isn't makeup over his left eye, that's one hell of a birthmark !!  This guy is crazier than Scorpio ...

Nonetheless, whether Gran Torino is or isn't a last DH, I think Clint would get a real kick out of seeing this ...  O0

-Blu

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 08:11:23 PM by Blu » Logged

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2008, 08:12:46 PM »

These recent YouTube videos are hugely lame attempts at stirring up "Dirty Harry" rumors.  Especially that idiot with all the edits in his interview.  Hmmm, its a random guy sitting in front of a huge PC with a giant Clint cardboard stand-up nearby appearing as if he just got done with behind-the-scenes work on a movie...so he must be legit!

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »

I'm not saying it is legit, in fact I am assuming it is a fake :-( , but that multiple edit/take look is actually quite common in professional productions where they show people talking about a subject.  I see it all the time.  So that in itself doesn't say "fake" to me.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2008, 12:12:36 AM »

I think Elaine from Seinfeld said it best: "Fake...fake....fake!"

Some Sergio Leone inspired opening shot....give me a break!

C'mon people don't be fooled by some bozo living in some fantasy world.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Glenny

"Trick or Treat, punk."

View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »

I don't know if you'll think this is bad or good...but Clint will not be playing Callahan like he used to.
He will be playing him more his age.  Look at this short article:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/article945263.ece

All Aboard the Crazy Train.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »

Consider the source ...

;)
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2008, 08:07:41 PM »

April 1st came early this year...

Stallone went back to the well with his old standby Rocky and Rambo, Bruce Willis cashed in with "Die Hard 4.0" (which was crap on a stick), and Harrison Ford now comes along with a new Indiana Jones.  The great thing about Clint is that he doesn't have to revive a character or franchise to enjoy consistent success.

Sure, its fun seeing the 80s action guys try to reclaim some glory...but I think its sad in a way.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:19 PM »

Consider the source ...

Not to mention the date of the article is two days after we got word of Clint starring in a new movie when all the Dirty Harry VI rumours started going around.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2008, 12:03:45 AM »

I don't know if you'll think this is bad or good...but Clint will not be playing Callahan like he used to.
He will be playing him more his age.  Look at this short article:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/article945263.ece

An insider said: “Clint sees this as his final action film.

“He’s looking forward to playing Harry again. But it’ll be realistic — he’ll be an old man.”

I wonder who the insider is?

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2008, 12:09:20 AM »

I would even question the date the Sun prints on it's front page.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 12:28:04 AM by Gant » Logged

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2008, 02:22:28 AM »

April 1st came early this year...

Stallone went back to the well with his old standby Rocky and Rambo, Bruce Willis cashed in with "Die Hard 4.0" (which was crap on a stick), and Harrison Ford now comes along with a new Indiana Jones.  The great thing about Clint is that he doesn't have to revive a character or franchise to enjoy consistent success.

Sure, its fun seeing the 80s action guys try to reclaim some glory...but I think its sad in a way.

That all depends on whether or not they can pull it off.  I thought Rocky Balboa was a very good entry, but Rambo was just ok.  The new Indiana Jones looks promising, but who knows?  We'll find out once it's in theaters.

“Eyuh.”
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2008, 04:50:11 AM »

That all depends on whether or not they can pull it off.  I thought Rocky Balboa was a very good entry, but Rambo was just ok.  The new Indiana Jones looks promising, but who knows?  We'll find out once it's in theaters.

No, its sad regardless.  What are these guys out of ideas?  Create new stories with new characters.  Yes, "Rocky Balboa" was a good enough entry and better than I was expecting.  But there is a common theme with these guys cranking out the "last" sequel...They mostly had a string of box office turds, and then went back to the old standy characters that people lineup to see.

Its sad because I basically like these guys - Harrison Ford is the man.  I wouldn't give a $#!t if it was C. Thomas Howell.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 04:58:46 AM by Conan » Logged

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2008, 09:29:44 AM »

I seriously doubt we're in for Dirty harry 6...I'm just pleased that it looks like Clint is gonna act again.. I think many of us thought we'd seen his last acting stint in Million Dollar Baby and I reckon only a first class script could persuade him to slap the ole grease paint on again.. and this alone is surely  reason enough to celebrate.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:10:34 AM by Gant » Logged

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2008, 10:35:36 AM »

No, its sad regardless.  What are these guys out of ideas?  Create new stories with new characters.  Yes, "Rocky Balboa" was a good enough entry and better than I was expecting.  But there is a common theme with these guys cranking out the "last" sequel...They mostly had a string of box office turds, and then went back to the old standy characters that people lineup to see.

Its sad because I basically like these guys - Harrison Ford is the man.  I wouldn't give a $#!t if it was C. Thomas Howell.

I'm just happy if the movie is good, doesn't matter so much whether it's a new movie, rehash/remake or an old character brought to life again.  When I go to the movies I want to be entertained, especially for what it costs these days!   ;)

“Eyuh.”
Jake

View Profile Email
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2008, 11:04:19 AM »

I think what actually resonates with people is the thought of seeing "Clint Eastwood"- rather than Harry Callahan- up on the screen one last time.  I'm not talking about the Oscar-winning director, but the guy most people grew up watching over the years.   

It's like that little chill everyone got when Eastwood first turned around in the Unforgiven trailer.  He'd been making films steadily for years, and yet suddenly it was like "Oh my God...Clint Eastwood is back!"   :o

In other words, we could reason all day about why it couldn't or maybe shouldn't happen, but people just seem to really want it to be true.  And there are very few actors who could inspire that kind of enthusiasm for a rumor as unlikely as this one. 

Speaking of which, here's another take on the whole thing, and something which we'll refer to as:

"Please God, let that be what this is."   :)
http://www.film.com/movies/story/thoughts-ruminations-dirty-harry-6/11597472/19802976
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2008, 06:05:20 PM »

According to FilmJerk.com, last week's excitement that Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino might actually be the sixth Dirty Harry movie was not only premature, but totally misguided. If their source is correct, it turns out the movie is actually a quiet drama about an elderly bigot (Eastwood) whose world view is changed when a Hmong family moves in next door, and he befriends their teenage son, bonding over appreciation of the older man's classic Ford Gran Torino. It sounds like it could be great drama, especially if THEN he reveals that he's actually a retired cop named Harry Callahan and the two continue their "bonding" by going out and shooting bad guys. Well, one can dream.

http://au.rottentomatoes.com/news/1718415/

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
JSE

Email
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2008, 06:06:09 PM »

I seriously doubt we're in for Dirty harry 6...I'm just pleased that it looks like Clint is gonna act again.. I think many of us thought we'd seen his last acting stint in Million Dollar Baby and I reckon only a first class script could persuade him to slap the ole grease paint on again.. and this alone is surely  reason enough to celebrate.

I totally agree with your comments Gant, just glad that Clint is going to be acting again!

I half hope it isn't another Dirty Harry and that Clint hasn't been pressured by Warner Bros. to do another one solely for commercial reasons (it has been known in the past).  Then again the other half of me does think it would be more of an 'event' movie that sparks a collective interest in the audience that we don't really get to see too often.

Maybe Clint is going all out for the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role Oscar one final time.....after all it's the only major award he has failed to win!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T