News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the last Eastwood film you watched?  (Read 513787 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1820 on: November 08, 2023, 07:14:47 AM »

I liked Penn in his role, I thought it was a very powerful performance, one of his best..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1821 on: November 08, 2023, 02:36:13 PM »

I liked Penn in his role, I thought it was a very powerful performance, one of his best..

He did win an Oscar for his performance, so you are in good company! Sean Penn's scene when he discovered her daughter had been murdered was quite powerful. I think there were many performances in "Mystic River" that were quite showy, and by that I mean like they felt much more like performances, and less natural and subtle. Tim Robbins, Sean Penn, Laura Linney's Lady Macbeth-like scene at the end of the film are all examples of this. It stood out to me in "Mystic River" that it didn't really have the understated, more naturalistic acting style to the performances that Eastwood is known for. I do think that Kevin Bacon's performance was more typical of Eastwood's style, and I agree that he did well in the role, although I think I would have liked to have seen what Michael Keaton could have done. I also liked Laurence Fishburne, but would have liked to have seen Forrest Whitaker reteam with Eastwood. I think were it earlier in his career and Eastwood was age appropriate for the role he may have been interested in playing Bacon's role himself.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1822 on: November 29, 2023, 11:34:23 PM »

Unforgiven
Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1823 on: November 30, 2023, 08:29:46 AM »

No shade on Kevin Bacon but Michael Keaton would also have been good in that role. I'm currently watching Dopesick and he's excellent in it.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1824 on: January 04, 2024, 03:44:06 PM »

I recently posted this on my Eastwood Facebook page and want to share it here. 

Breezy

Starring William Holden and Kay Lenz

Directed by Clint Eastwood

Released November 16, 1973 (Los Angeles) & November 18, 1973 (New York City)

At the 31st Golden Globe Awards the movie received 3 nominations/no wins:
Best Original Score: Michel Legrand
Best Original Song: ?Breezy?s Song? - Michel Legrand, Alan & Marilyn Bergman
New Star Of The Year - Actress: Kay Lenz

Clint?s third time directing was also his first time not starring.  It?s not a trend that would become regular for another thirty-three years.  After Breezy, it would be fifteen years before Bird in 1988, another nine in between that and Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil in 1997 and six years until Mystic River in 2003 before he?d begin to direct more frequently beginning in 2006.

I enjoyed revisiting this movie again yesterday.  At best, it?s an average but quirky romance.  The overall look and feel is nicely conveyed, much like in Play Misty For Me.  Clint is easy to spot in a cameo where Holden and Lenz walk by him.  Breezy is also seen looking at the High Plains Drifter movie poster before going into the cinema with Frank.

There?s a humorous exchange early on in the film:

Breezy: ?Do you think God is dead??
Frank: ?What??
Breezy:  ?God, do you think he?s dead??
Frank: ?I didn?t even know he was sick.?

Holden?s quick, deadpan response is amusing.

In another scene, Frank takes his former lover Betty to lunch and she tells him she?s getting married.  His response, ?I don?t know what to say.? was met with her simple, yet quick-witted reply that spoke volumes, ?That says it all.  Let?s?order.?

Now that I?m older, I appreciate the writing.  I have a better feel and understanding for both of the main characters, where life?s journey has brought them, their present circumstances and where they?re going.  The time-capsule aspect is fantastic, viewing everything from fifty years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 05:33:31 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1825 on: January 16, 2024, 03:37:51 PM »

Bird

Starring Forest Whitaker & Diane Venora

Produced & Directed by Clint Eastwood

Released September 30, 1988

Forest Whitaker won the  Best Actor Award at the 1988 Cannes Film Festival and was nominated for Best Actor - Motion Picture Drama at the 46th Golden Globe Awards while Eastwood won the award for Best Director.

I first saw Whitaker in Good Morning, Vietnam.  Diane Venora wasn?t a familiar face, but recall remembering her having starring in this movie when seeing her in True Crime.  Both are very good actors and I enjoyed their performances here.  I?d forgotten that Anna Thompson appeared here as Audrey also played Delilah in Unforgiven four years later.

Now that I have a positive perspective regarding movies Clint Eastwood only directs, I have gained an appreciation for them.  I wasn?t looking forward to this viewing but came away liking it, at least a little.  For me, it?s still too long but otherwise okay. 

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1826 on: January 17, 2024, 03:00:53 PM »

Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil

Starring John Cusack & Kevin Spacey

Produced & Directed by Clint Eastwood

Released November 21, 1997

This was the first movie Eastwood directed without appearing that I went out of my way to see on the big screen.  I enjoyed reading the book very much.  My first impression of this film is that it was interesting and entertaining.  I enjoyed watching it again recently and may revisit John Berendt?s book.  I enjoyed seeing Clint?s daughter appear in her second film in a row here, the previous one being Absolute Power.  She first appeared in Tightrope in 1984 and more recently in The Mule in 2018.  I also got a kick out of seeing Geoffrey Lewis, who has appeared in a number of Clint?s films dating back to 1973?s High Plains Drifter and including the ?Which Way? comedies.  All of the actors in this movie were very good and the story coasts along at a decent pace. 

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1827 on: January 17, 2024, 03:17:48 PM »

Mystic River

Starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins & Kevin Bacon

Released October 15, 2003

At the 76th Academy Awards, Sean Penn won the award for Best Actor and Tim Robbins won in the Best Supporting Actor category.  Although it didn?t win, Mystic River also received nominations in four other categories;  Best Picture:  Robert Lorenz, Julie G. Hoyt & Clint Eastwood, Best Director: Clint Eastwood, Best Supporting Actress:  Marcia Gay Harden and Best Adapted Screenplay:  Brian Helgeland based on the novel by Dennis Lehane.

As of the release of this in 2003 Clint directed four movies he didn?t appear in, in as many decades!  That pace would change just a few years later with Flags Of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima and Changeling between 2006 and 2008.  To date, this is one of my favorites that he didn?t appear in but only directed.  A couple of highlights for me is that it was filmed in Boston, just a few towns from where I live and the appearance of Eli Wallach.  It was great to see him in another Eastwood film.  He was great as Tuco in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly with one of my all-time favorite movie quotes, ?When you have to shoot, shoot, don?t talk? and I liked him in Tough Guys, a 1986 comedy with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.     

“Eyuh.”
Hammerhead

View Profile Email
« Reply #1828 on: January 17, 2024, 04:39:40 PM »

I haven?t seen Tough Guys in more than 30 years, must rectify that.
Werfen

View Profile Email
« Reply #1829 on: February 24, 2024, 01:53:59 AM »

Hello,

I watched "Pale Rider" yesterday.

I like the shot when one of LaHood`s men, just before they start beating Barret, watches and sees Eastwood on his horse. And when he watches again a couple of seconds later...Eastwood is gone.

I have been an Eastwood fan now for 31 years and "Pale Rider" was one of my first Eastwood films. Not my favourite Western, but it brings back certain memories. I like "Pale Rider" quite a lot.

Nice weekend to all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 02:02:42 AM by Werfen » Logged
Hammerhead

View Profile Email
« Reply #1830 on: March 16, 2024, 04:26:21 PM »

Just watched the 4K Blu-ray of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

We all know the film of course.

The disc looked very nice, although you have to make allowances for the fact that it?s a 50 year old film.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1831 on: March 28, 2024, 07:56:52 PM »

Juror #2
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1832 on: May 30, 2024, 04:46:01 PM »

To celebrate his birthday Im having a marathon right now. Im off today so figured be fun watching these movies with his bday being tomorrow. Watching tight rope, fire fox, The rookie, and ending with Bronco Billy. Ill watch his A/E biography dvd tomorrow night on his bday after work. So many great movies to choose from. I own everyone hes starred in on dvd so tough choosing. But havent seen these four in awhile. Any of yall watching his movies tonight or tomorrow? 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 04:48:13 PM by Rawhide7 » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1833 on: May 30, 2024, 08:06:45 PM »

That's an interesting mix of movies, Rawhide! I don't have anything planned right now, but maybe I'll pull something out soon.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1834 on: May 30, 2024, 08:48:56 PM »

Thanks Christopher
Yeah these 4 are a bit different from each other. I like variety though. Let us know which movies you watch if you do.
Thanks.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1835 on: May 31, 2024, 07:22:24 PM »

I did pull a couple box sets out but didn't get to any of them today. I have that A&E Biography DVD that you mentioned before too.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1836 on: June 01, 2024, 04:39:39 AM »

I was in Boston the year before last, lot of people wearing those leather raincoat type things Penn has on in the movie
Is that a Boston thing ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T