News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classic Visual Moments  (Read 12601 times)
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 05, 2002, 08:46:49 AM »

The "quotes" thread got me to thinking about some of Clint's classic silent, or non-verbal scenes. Whether it's an action scene, facial expression, or whatever, some of the best moments sometimes don't involve spoken words.

One of my favorites is in the Mayor's office in Dirty Harry, where Callahan is giving an update to the Mayor about police progress on the case, and gets cut off by Bressler (Guardino). When he then gets cutoff by Bressler a second time, the double take on his annoyed face gets me roaring every single time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2002, 05:25:45 PM by Agent » Logged

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
zoso

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2002, 05:23:24 PM »

at least i'm not the only one who gets a real kick out of that look.  :)
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2002, 05:44:16 PM »

One reason why I've always liked Joe Kidd so much is because of the non-spoken scenes. It has several I get a kick out of:
  • The part where Clint's walking up the stairs and cuts off Stroud while he's mouthing off by grabbing his belt buckle and hurling him down the stairs.
  • the part where he thows the pot of stew into the Mexican's face in the jail cell. That one gets me roaring every single time.
  • the part where he's (Clint's) swinging that ceramic pot of water on the rope and crashes it against that guy's head. Oh man! Slapstick galore!
Well I'm probably the only one who really digs those scenes, but hey.  ;D

zoso

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2002, 06:13:45 PM »

it's been quite a while since i've seen joe kidd and it's actually one of the movies i don't have yet so i can't speak to that but what always gets me about clint is those eyes. the way the camera always closes in on his face and shows you his facial features, his eyes almost always speak for him. in an instant you know what he's thinking just from his gaze or harsh stare.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2002, 06:26:19 PM »

I was just watching A Fistful of Dollars again today and there was a scene just after arrived in San Miguel and he was shot at by the bandits.

He grabbed a hold of that wodden bar and after he dropped and got up on that porch, that bell ringing guy said something to him. After the bell ringing guy leaves, we see Eastwood move his eyes.

Just the movement of his eye in that spot is great. I dont know why, but it is.

Another one, would be at the end of The Enforcer, when the Mayor is thanking Harry and he just shoves the rocket launcher back in his hands and walks away.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2002, 01:12:37 AM »

Josey's spitting!  :D  Especially on that mangy mutt.
william

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2002, 03:24:27 AM »

Matt, that one gets me as a cool moment. Can you give us a pic of the mutt with the new "dew"
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2002, 06:47:56 PM »

There are a couple of camera moves that I really enjoy.   It's done both in Joseys Wales and in Sudden Impact It's a simply dolly move and it has him positioned in a head shot then slowly the camera dollys off to the left and Eastwood remains stationary.  It gives the apperance as if he is floating off to the right.

Classic Clint...
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2002, 09:16:28 AM »

Here's a look that says a thousand words:

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2002, 09:26:37 AM »

I agree Matt, that shot from Misty is so great. The look in his eyes tells the whole story.
There must be literaly hundreds of moments in Eastwood films that I enjoy, but one that immeadiately springs to mind is near the begginning of Every Which Way... after beating up the loud mouth in the bar.. the guy slumps down the front  of the juke box, Eastwood flips a sweet  into his mouth and tosses the wrapper  at him.... then the title trackkicks in. I don't know why it is but I love that little scene... I guess it kinda sets the tone for the whole movie.
Another fave moment comes in Honky Tonk Man.. after telling Whit the story of his one real lost love, the camera just kinda hangs on Clint as they drive along. This scene always seems so sad to me.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2002, 04:13:39 PM »

I agree with you all about his eyes. When I watch movies, I always pay attention to the actors' eyes, because so much can be said there.

A scene that comes to mind is one that does involve dialogue, though. It's the scene in The Beguiled when McB realizes his leg is gone. The fire in his eyes says so much. You don't even have to listen to the numerous curse words that comes from his mouth to know he's ticked off.
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2002, 08:05:52 AM »

:)

In DH one. When Dirty Harry is ominiously standing on the train tressel, cooly waiting for the school bus to go by so he can leap on it. The silhoutte of pending doom that threw Scorpio into a panic.

It couldnt have been done any better.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 09:21:55 AM »

i always loved in josey
when he gobs on the guy in the white suit and asks him  "hows it on tobbaco stains?", the look on the guys face is priceless ;)

for everything else there's mastercard!

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2002, 09:24:18 AM »

Classic.....

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2002, 10:55:03 AM »

In Tightrope, the look on his face  (and the way he nearly stumbles) when he leaves Sarita's has always cracked me up.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2002, 01:02:04 AM »

At the very end of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, sitting in the caddy. when he realises Bridges is dead...  :'(

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Antipatros

Opinions are like @#!holes, everybody has one!

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2002, 09:35:43 AM »

I like two scenes out of DH the most:

The first from Dirty Harry I, where he's standing on the bridge looking at the bus arriving. 8)

The otherone is from Sudden Impact, where he's coming out of the light, you just can see his "shape"...  
DirtyDuffy45

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2002, 12:58:01 PM »

How bout in the Guantlet when Sondra Locke calls him a big prick in the begining and he looks back at her with that smug look on his face.
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2002, 01:48:21 PM »

Yeah, I do the same thing with my wife when she calls me that.

Antipatros

Opinions are like @#!holes, everybody has one!

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2002, 12:16:05 PM »

btw, has anybody found a picture from the scene I described on my last post (that from Sudden Impact, where the light is behind him)? I searched for about an hour, but I couldn't find anyone...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T