News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint at Cannes!!!  (Read 16550 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2003, 08:56:27 AM »

Cannes Screens Clint Eastwood Movie

By ANGELA DOLAND, Associated Press Writer

CANNES, France - Clint Eastwood (news)'s new movie focuses on a trio of tortured characters: a sexual abuse victim, a cop whose wife left him and a reformed criminal whose old instincts come back when his daughter is killed.

"Mystic River," competing for the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival (news - web sites), is a somber, ambiguous tale, and Eastwood says some studios shied away from it.

"If you follow successful films that are out there, and jump on the fad, then you ... make a comic book," Eastwood told reporters in Cannes on Friday. "I still like to think there's an audience there for serious adult stories."

"I'm too old to make comic books," he said.

Eastwood, 72, was showing his fifth movie at the French Riviera festival. He was co-president of the Cannes jury alongside Catherine Deneuve (news) in 1994; they awarded the top prize to Quentin Tarantino (news)'s "Pulp Fiction."

Eastwood's new film has a dream cast led by Sean Penn (news), who plays Jimmy Markum, the father of a 19-year-old murder victim. Tim Robbins (news) is a man haunted by childhood sexual abuse, and Kevin Bacon (news) is a police officer investigating the murder. The three play childhood friends who are thrown together again as adults.

Marcia Gay Harden (news) and Laurence Fishburne (news) have smaller roles, as does Laura Linney (news), who plays Markum's wife and delivers a thrilling Lady Macbeth-like monologue at the end.

"There was so much esprit de corps," Eastwood said. "It made my job extremely easy, and I just had to stay out of the way and not screw it up."

Eastwood doesn't appear in the movie, but he composed the orchestral music that accompanies it.

"Mystic River" is based on the novel by Dennis Lehane. It revisits themes Eastwood has touched on before: revenge, and violence and its aftermath.

The story starts in a working class neighborhood of Boston, with three kids carving their names into wet sidewalk concrete.

Then a car pulls up, and one of the boys is abducted and sexually tortured for days before he escapes. For the rest of their lives, the other boys wonder: What if it had been us instead?

"What made this story attractive to tell is ... what one little instant can do, and how it affects so many people," Eastwood said. "Not just one person, but his life, his family life, the lives of his friends."

The characters lose touch, but the murder and subsequent investigation bring them together. Bacon's character is investigating, while Robbins falls under suspicion.

The movie's ending is deliberately ambiguous. It's unclear how the characters are going to deal with the events that turned their lives upside down.

The Cannes Film Festival jury will announce awards on Sunday. "Mystic River" is competing against 19 other films.

A little too much information as far as Laura Linney and the Lady-Macbeth like monologue. I'm not sure I really want to see Laura Linney playing and adversarial or antagonistic character. I've always liked how she's played sympathetic, caring people in her movies. At least the ones that I've seen.

Clearly ambiguous ending? Well, that could be interesting, but at the same time I as an audience member wouldn't want to be left completely hanging as to the resolution of the film. We'll have to see how that plays out. Interesting. I fear the film is going to be far too depressing though, and I don't go to movies to be depressed and watch great tragedy. I'm hoping that it will be both well done from a filmmaking standpoint AND entertaining. It isn't striking me, from these descriptions, as a film you'd want to see for its entertainment value again and again.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030523/ap_en_mo/cannes_clint_eastwood_1

« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 09:11:29 AM by AKA23 » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2003, 09:03:12 AM »

Clint Eastwood turns squint to gritty tale of violence and innocence lost

CANNES, France (AFP) - Clint Eastwood (news)'s squint -- that killer look made famous in the "Dirty Harry" movies and countless Westerns -- is again proving just as devastating on the other side of the camera, judging by the reception of his latest directorial release which screened at the Cannes film festival (news - web sites).

"Mystic River", a gritty thriller in competition for the festival's prized Palme d'Or, drew enthusiastic applause for its lean exposition of morality, the lifelong effects of past events and vengeance.

Based on a bestselling novel by Dennis Lehane, the tory is that of three childhood friends in working-class Boston traumatised by the abduction of one of them by paedophiles while playing in the street.

Twenty-five years later, one has become a cop, another a criminal, and the third a disturbed family man unable to find his bearings (played, respectively, by Kevin Bacon (news), Sean Penn (news) and Tim Robbins (news)). All are again drawn together when the criminal's daughter is murdered and suspicion falls on the unbalanced former victim.

So far, so good -- and so much old hat. Except Eastwood draws out the themes and characters in the film in a way that emphasises ambiguity and reveals more and more of the heavy legacy of the past each of the three carries around.

"This is a sort of fate-driven story. It's a sort of train you can't get off of," Eastwood told a media conference.  

For many critics, the film represents a return to form for Eastwood's career as director, recalling the first-class exploration of psychology and violence in 1992's "Unforgiven"

Like that dark Western, the crime drama that is "Mystic River" springs from a genre well-trodden by 72-year-old Eastwood in his younger acting days, but this time he did not step in front of the camera because, as he said to laughs, "I felt I looked way to young."

After praising his stellar cast, Eastwood also said that the relatively low budget for the movie allowed him to get the film made to his vision.

"This was a very inexpensive film by today's standards -- this wasn't 'Mystic River Reloaded'," he said, provoking laughter for his reference to the 150-million-dollar "The Matrix Reloaded", which was also under the Warner Bros. label.

Even in the media conference, Eastwood, Robbins, Bacon and Laura Linney (news) avoided explaining away too much of the movie.

But Bacon said the cast clicked immediately and gave their all for Eastwood, who often gave them no more than two takes to do a scene. The script, by Brian Helgeland, he added, "was just there for the playing -- it was a dream."

They all also read Lehane's book, but Linney said she would have signed on to the project no matter what it took. "I think most of us would have read the phone book for Clint."

For his part, though, Eastwood was modest about his role as director. "I just had to stay out of the way and not screw it up," he said, a wry grin on his lips.

The movie was just one of three US productions vying for the Palme d'Or.

Though most critics gave it only an outside chance of slipping past the favourites -- "Dogville" by Denmark's Lars von Trier (news) and "The Barbarian Invasions" by Canada's Denys Arcand (news) -- to actually win the prize, they agreed it would probably be the most commercially successful of the 20 contenders this year.

"Mystic River" is to be released in the United States in September and in the rest of the world in October.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030523/en_afp/cannes_film_eastwood_030523131822
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 09:05:59 AM by AKA23 » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2003, 09:04:24 AM »

I hope these little tidbits of information don't give away too much of the plot line, because I'm reading the book currently.

I find that interesting that some studios turned the project down.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2003, 09:08:52 AM »

There's nothing real earth shattering in these articles, Christopher. It's just the basic story. I too don't want to ruin the movie for myself by knowing about all the key details, so nobody post those please!!!!!

Christopher, and I believe somebody else was reading the book, I really think you might be better off NOT reading the book. I've gone down that road before, including with Clint films, and it's usually a bad idea. Either Clint won't follow the book and you'll get upset because he changed the entire story so that it's almost unrecognizable to the original, or you'll have read the book, if its a faithful adaptation, and you'll know absolutely everything about the movie going in. I'd much rather not have to deal with all of that when I see the movie. The movie should stand on its own. If you read the book, 9 times out of 10 you'll go in being disappointed by the film. I just don't want that to happen to you guys, so I advise to stop reading the book, and if you would like, to pick up the book AFTER you've seen the film. Otherwise, I think its probably a bad idea, but only YOU know if its a bad idea for you or not.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 09:09:08 AM by AKA23 » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2003, 09:13:15 AM »

And, lookie there KC, I went back and found all the links to those articles I posted JUST for you!

KC: Oh, how nice! Thank you, AKA23 ;)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2003, 11:15:00 AM »

It's not often that I read the book before I see the movie, but at any rate, I always try to judge the movie as a movie (quick example: I read Hannibel before seeing the movie, and the movie was better than expected. I was actually a little disappointed by the book).

When you think of how many times you've heard people say, "The book was better," I usually think, well, yeah, there's always that chance. A book can go to a lot of places that a movie can't.

So far, Mystic River has been an engaging book that I've been having a hard time putting it down, and I only started it about two days ago. I'm hoping to have it read within the next few days. But I understand what your saying, AKA.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2003, 11:35:00 AM »

clint's the best at getting the best out of a book - this is really good news i wish him and the team well at the awards - go clint

i think midnight was one of the most surprising of all the books i read prior to the film and it was a really good movie
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 03:05:46 PM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Philibert

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2003, 12:11:07 PM »

Hi all,
I'm not sure it's the right place to say that, but anyway, they said on French Tv (Canal+) that Eli Wallach ("Tuco" in "The good, the bad, the ugly" movie) was playing in Mystic River...
But i'm sure you knew it yet, héhé...

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2003, 12:11:24 PM »

I'm just guessing here, but I'd imagine that this adaptation is going to be fairly faithful to the book. I don't see Clint changing a lot around in this film, he'd want to keep the essence of what made the story constant. I don't think there's any question at this point that Mystic River will be well done. I'm pretty confident Clint has made a decent film this time. The studio seems to have confidence in it (or when they moved the release date, they would have DELAYED it, and not moved it up closer..this is rather rare), it seems to have a good reception at Cannes, Clint said it flowed really well when they were doing it, the film will be good. The only question for me is will the film be this really tragic, depressing story that won't be enjoyable to watch? It might be an interesting character piece, with some social commentary, but I'm thinking I'll be so depressed by the film and the subject matter that I won't really enjoy it. That's what remains to be seen for me. Most of Clint's films aren't terribly depressing, and they're good for entertainment value, but with this film, that's the thing I'm worried about. And, remember, with this film we won't have Clint to lift the depressing story with another great acting performance. You can always delight in his performance, even if the movie isn't particularly cheery, but we won't have Clint to do that for us this time around.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 12:13:33 PM by AKA23 » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2003, 04:03:33 PM »

A couple more pictures of Clint, along with wife Dina.

Sorry for all the pictures guys. Can you say Clint OVERKILL? Yeah, I know, but I figured that the ladies on the board would love to see all these Clint pictures, so I thought I'd post it so they could have as many cool pictures of Clint as possible! :) Dina is quite beautiful, isn't she? Too bad people like me don't have tens of millions of dollars in order to secure somebody like that ;)

Just kidding! Well, ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 04:12:38 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2003, 04:07:05 PM »

I like the pictures taken there at Cannes.

I even showed my mom the pictures with Kevin Bacon in them. She's always liked him.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2003, 08:29:01 PM »

I wonder if thats the certain bowtie we've discussed...  :o
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2003, 08:44:19 PM »

Nightwing, if you want to see that bowtie, just look at your avatar.  Red leather, made by a friend on the Bird set.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2003, 08:50:24 PM »

Oh geeze, well what do you know... perhaps another one was made?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2003, 11:18:42 AM »

I just read that studios and film bosses have been trying desperately to get Clint to reprise his role as Harry Callahan in a new film, even at the age of 73, and that he's turned them down. It appears all this talk of a new Harry film might have been legitimate, but that Clint REALLY isn't interested at all. This might be the most definitive information yet that there will not be another Harry film:

Eastwood rules out Dirty Harry return

Hollywood bosses have urged Clint Eastwood to bring back Dirty Harry - at the age of 72.

But the screen legend has turned down the offer because he reckons he is too old.

Eastwood played maverick detective Inspector Harry Callahan in five movies between 1971 and 1988.

At the Cannes Film Festival today, he told how film bosses wanted him to revive the tough guy role even though he turns 73 next week.

"I've even had suggestions to go back and revisit Harry Callahan," he said. "But sometimes you have to move on in certain things and that's not where I am today."

« Last Edit: May 24, 2003, 11:57:42 AM by AKA23 » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2003, 11:53:35 AM »

Here's some more little things about Mystic River :

Even while Eastwood's film about a complex homicide investigation was being lauded last night, the 72-year-old director was quick to point out that the project had been difficult to finance, as it involved paedophiles.

Hollywood really wanted him to "revisit" his Dirty Harry days as the San Francisco police inspector Callaghan, he said. "But sometimes you have to move on, and this story is where I am today." Warner Brothers had provided the finance. "The stipulation was that they would do it for a limited budget. It was fine with me.

"I said: 'You don't have to pay me now. Pay me later if the picture does something. If it doesn't, I don't care because I just want to make it.' "

The film's stars, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon, Laurence Fisburne and Laura Linney, all worked for less than their usual fees, he added. "My film was very inexpensive by today's standards.

"A lot of studios didn't want to do this project. Even people I knew said they were more interested in another type of movie. But I'm too old to make comic books. I still think there's an audience for a serious adult story. I may be wrong, but I'd like to try."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2003, 02:04:30 PM »

When is it decided for who wins the top award at Cannes? That information might be in a link already provided, but I'm not sure.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »

I'm sure it's tomorrow sometime, since that's the last day of the festival. But I can't find out any details on the absolutely AWFUL official Cannes website.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2003, 10:09:20 AM »

I don't know KC, but I've done some checking on that for you. Apparently, the Independent Film Channel is supposed to be airing the Cannes wrap up at 8.

And, Bravo is airing the closing night ceremonies at 7/6PM. Check your local listings for the aproppriate times in your area, just to make sure, but you should be able to watch if you're interested. If I would have known that, I might have watched yesterday..maybe they would have had the Clint Eastwood speech or interview or whatever :(

Obviously, with an 8 hour time difference, the actual results will probably be publicized before the tv special. I'd imagine it might have even been chosen by now. Certainly in the next few hours.

http://www.bravotv.com/Weekend_at_Cannes/

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2003, 10:20:51 AM »

Thanks, AKA. The closing ceremony, with the awards presentations, begins at 1:30 PM Eastern time. That's about ten minutes from now.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 10:23:17 AM by KC » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T