News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tuggle Talks about writing ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ . Now on- line!  (Read 3017 times)
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »

So , has anyone read my interview w/Richard T.  in the new Cinema Retro (see link below)?
Or, have I just " wasted" 6 months of my life?
 :(
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 11:01:25 PM by El Cigarillo » Logged

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:51:53 PM »

So , has anyone read the interview w/Richard T.  in the new Cinema Retro?
Or, have I just " wasted" 6 months of my life?
 :(
You wrote it?  8) I spotted the mag 2 weeks ago at a Borders in San Francisco  O0 Nice job! I didn't get a copy though... should have  :-X

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:21 PM »

Nice job! I didn't get a copy though...

Thanks....I think :-\

if you didn't get a copy how do you know i did a nice job? ???

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »

I'd love a copy...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »

Thanks....I think :-\

if you didn't get a copy how do you know i did a nice job? ???
Well, because I read it when I was at Borders  ;) I should have explained, sorry.

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 05:28:53 PM »

I am happy to report that my interview with Richard Tuggle has been reprinted in issue# 8 of THE SAN FRANCISCAN!
 Bruce Marshall

www.thesanfranciscanmagazine.com

Digital version
https://thesanfranciscanmagazine.com/the-greatest-escape/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 11:02:18 PM by El Cigarillo » Logged

El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 11:03:50 PM »

Bumpef

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 11:43:15 AM »

Thanks for sharing.. cool and interesting interview ..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
JSE

Don't just do something, stand there...

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 02:42:05 AM »

I am happy to report that my interview with Richard Tuggle has been reprinted in issue# 8 of THE SAN FRANCISCAN!
 Bruce Marshall

Digital version

Thank you Bruce, I've just read the edited interview and it is very interesting, amazing that Richard went from a non-screenwriter to having Don Siegel direct and Clint star in the screenplay in such a short amount of time. The stuff that dreams are made of!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 05:59:32 AM »

Bruce Marshall

Digital version
Very interesting interview!
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 09:00:27 AM »

Thank you Bruce, I've just read the edited interview and it is very interesting, amazing that Richard went from a non-screenwriter to having Don Siegel direct and Clint star in the screenplay in such a short amount of time. The stuff that dreams are made of!

I know! I had no idea about this fact before my interview.
I assumed. Siegel / Eastwood owned the rights to the book and they hired Tuggle to adapt it into a screenplay. I originally planned to do a feature article about ALL aspects of the film, but Tuggle" s story became THE story.
It still blows my mind.
Glad you liked it!
 Bruce
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 09:15:24 AM by El Cigarillo » Logged

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 02:52:40 PM »

Agree with everyone here. Very interesting article. Good job.

I note that Richard Tuggle was also the screen writer of "Tightrope" and the official director of the film as well. Did you discuss that film with Tuggle? Do you know why, from his perspective, he came to be afforded with the opportunity to direct "Tightrope," and why he was removed as director by Eastwood, who largely directed the film himself. This is the understanding of many Eastwood fans. What was his perspective on that, either from an interview you may have done with him, or from your research that you may have done on him in advance of deciding to write about him?
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 04:42:11 PM »

We didn't really go into TIGHTROPE

There is a biographer of Eastwood - who shall remain nameless- who printed many scurrilous rumours about Clint ( and was sued and lost!)including the one about TIGHTROPE. The same guy made patently false claims about CE rewriting the ending of EFA . I know they were false because I read Tuggle 's personal copy of the script
I have no reason to believe it or disbelieve it. It was Tuggle' s first film as director, so CE it wouldn't surprise me if he  helped him out.
Tuggle only had good things to say about him.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 04:48:19 PM by El Cigarillo » Logged

El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2023, 05:48:39 PM »

Fyi
 The original interview is longer ( and uncensored!) and contains a brief discussion of Tuggle'  s post- EFA career.
Plus, another deleted scene and rare photos.
But, you have to pay for that one. 😚
$30

LB13

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 03:30:02 PM »

Thank you for this interview! I'm very intrigued by the story of Richard Tuggle - a guy just sits down, writes a screenplay, somehow gets it to Don Siegel, who then makes a movie out of it with Clint Eastwood. It could be a movie in itself. The questions you posed and the answers Tuggle provided were very informative and I was glad to learn more about Escape from Alcatraz - I'd have to agree with Tuggle that it really did contain everything it should have.
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2023, 04:43:02 PM »

Glad you liked it!:)
 Like the intro says , the story behind writing it is almost as incredible as the escape itself!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 04:44:51 PM by El Cigarillo » Logged

Hocine
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2023, 05:10:09 AM »

Bruce Marshall

Digital version

Thanks for sharing that interesting interview. It is really a good story.
Escape From Alcatraz remains one of Clint best acting performances and one of his best films as well: when it was released in 1979, Clint received some of the best reviews of his career then.
However, it seems a little forgotten today, compared to some other films.
In my opinion, Escape From Alcatraz was the right film for the final collaboration between Clint and Don Siegel.
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2023, 09:46:19 AM »

Thanks!
 It does get overlooked.
His DIRTY HARRY and western characters are more flashy but I think this is his finest bit of acting.
I was happy to see Tarantino devote a chapter to EFA in his book.
It is , as he said , a " masterpiece"!

Hocine
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2023, 06:26:39 AM »

Yes, you may be right: Escape From Alcatraz does get overlooked.
But it is still a famous film on the other hand. It seems having been shot in a documentary style.
Even if Escape From Alcatraz were praised by the critics, it is not really considered as the peak of the collaboration between Clint and Don Siegel. The Beguiled and Dirty Harry are considered as that peak.
During Escape From Alcatraz shooting, the relationship between Clint and Don Siegel had evolved, since Clint became a film director himself and had already directed six films. However, Don Siegel was probably the director who challenged Clint the most as an actor. And Escape From Alcatraz remains the last great Clint acting performance under the direction of an other director than himself, along with In the Line of Fire. I consider Tightrope as a film directed by Clint.

I may be wrong but I think that some Clint Eastwood films which were not released by Warner Bros, seem to be overlooked (Hang em High, High Plains Drifter, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot for instance). I even noticed that in the documentaries on Clint, the films he did with Warner Bros are more discussed and analysed than the others.
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2023, 09:23:16 AM »

It is a very famous film. Most people I ask say they have seen it. It did very well at the box office- 15th highest grossing film of 1979.
More importantly, it's become part of the culture. Since its release there have been countless documentaries asking " did they make it?" EFA is usually mentioned and/or clips from the film or simulations are used. Researchers are still writing books sixty years after the escape! The title has become, like GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, part of the language. The film is the main reason Alcatraz is the most visited site in the National Park Sytem.
However, since UNFORGIVEN, critics and historians have tended to see Clint as an " auteur", a great ' artist' and tend to focus on him as a director.
We know better; his career is filled with outstanding films as an actor and director!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 09:30:07 AM by El Cigarillo » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T