News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who saw INVICTUS? Members' Comments  (Read 24191 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:19:30 PM »

Invictus opens in the U.S. today, and this is the official thread for Eastwood Web board members to weigh in and let us know what you think of it. We welcome all thoughts and comments and even full-fledged reviews of the film.

I assume we won't have to worry about "spoilers" in this case, since the movie is based on well-known historical facts that have already been quite thoroughly discussed as we've followed the film through the various stages of its production.

However, if you think there's some detail in the movie that might "spoil" some of the enjoyment for others if it's revealed, let one of the Moderators know, and we'll consider opening a "spoilers allowed" thread also.

Here's the schedule of release dates (subject to change) currently posted on the IMDb:

USA      3 December 2009      (Beverly Hills, California) (premiere)
Canada    11 December 2009    
South Africa    11 December 2009    
USA    11 December 2009    
Netherlands    13 January 2010    
Australia    21 January 2010    
Czech Republic    21 January 2010    
Argentina    28 January 2010    
Spain    29 January 2010    
Slovakia    4 February 2010    
Japan    5 February 2010    
Sweden    5 February 2010    
UK    5 February 2010    
Greece    11 February 2010    
Italy    12 February 2010    
Belgium    17 February 2010    
Germany    18 February 2010    
Romania    19 February 2010    
France    24 February 2010    
Russia    25 February 2010    
Slovenia    25 February 2010    
Finland    26 February 2010    
Aline

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 05:48:26 AM »

As far as I know, release date in Brasil will be 29 january 2010.
ceinjapan

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 05:49:05 AM »

i am honored to be first   here who watch INVICUS!
i watched this at  Tokyo, Japanese first  screener today,actually,2hours ago.
i do not now about rugby sports at all but  totally enjoyed.
Eastwood  made it  as everyone can enjoy the movie.
if i have to say something negative....
i wanted more high scoring game!
,but this is a history game.
i am envy of you because you can see this movie many times as you want to watch,
in japan official release will be 5th on Feb,far way from now.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 06:44:39 AM »

Thanks, ceinjapan!
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 10:57:23 AM »

Fortunatelly the Greece release date has changed from February 11th to January 28.I'll wait for the opening and won't download.i

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:39:22 AM »

i am honored to be first   here who watch INVICUS!
i watched this at  Tokyo, Japanese first  screener today,actually,2hours ago.
i do not now about rugby sports at all but  totally enjoyed.
Eastwood  made it  as everyone can enjoy the movie.
if i have to say something negative....
i wanted more high scoring game!
,but this is a history game.
i am envy of you because you can see this movie many times as you want to watch,
in japan official release will be 5th on Feb,far way from now.

:) Hi, ceinjapan, it's  for a long time!   You were lucky to watched INVICTUS already!   8)

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 04:44:34 AM »

:) I thought release date for France in January, if it is really February 24th, AB, Satu and me, we can go to watch together!  :D

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:48:52 AM »

I'm guessing/hoping early-mid February for Hong Kong.

exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 01:49:17 PM »

I saw the first show of Invictus yesterday at the local theatre. (Actually saw it for free as one of the theatre owners said that apparently the print had some scratches and he wasn't sure if it was watchable or not, so he wasn't going to charge anyone for the first showing... well, turns out the movie was just fine to watch as is)

Anyway, Invictus is one of Clint's "very good" movies and not one of his "great" movies imo.  The whole story is pretty amazing and the movie does a good job telling it.  Freeman is his normally great and efforless self (a certain Oscar Best Actor nomination) and Damon does a perfect job in his role.  Not knowing much about Rugby rules probably hurts the movie somewhat but it's not so much about how the game is being played, rather the impact and importance of this team winning to help unite the country.  I liked the movie but don't think I will want to see it again right away like I normally do with Clint's movies.

I'd grade it in the A-/B+ area... a movie that is very good and entertaining (maybe a little slow for some people for the first hour and half) but it doesn't have that "wow" factor when when watching it although the ending is really emotional.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:55:46 PM by exit00 » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 07:04:47 PM »

OK, I've seen it, and it was pretty much as I expected: Fine performances and a fine, straightforward telling of a stirring, inspirational story, one that I can't think of any real parallel to in the post-colonial era. I enjoyed a lot of little things about it (the songs and some of the slo-mo work in the final showdown definitely not among them), and I enjoyed the historic sweep of the whole, and the pleasure of seeing the first Eastwood film in a long, long time that is unequivocally positive ... and the first in a long, long time in which nobody dies.

But after watching it, I have one question.

How on EARTH do these guys get through a match without killing each other? :o

To my eyes, rugby looks to be just about as rough as American football, but while Yank football players are practically armor plated, these guys are all but naked by comparison, and above all they wear nothing at all on their heads. I wonder what the rate of post-concussion syndrome is among ex-players?

Here's a pic I found showing where injuries are likely to occur ... oddly, "head" is not among them:

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 10:41:22 PM »

How on EARTH do these guys get through a match without killing each other? :o

Yes it's baffling...One thing I noticed different from American Football is that while Rugby is obviously tough, there are comparatively less cheap shots.  Most of the tag lines go "A hooligan's game played by gentleman" or something like that.  It may also help that every player appears to be built like a running back or fullback, so you don't have as many size mismatches like in American Football.  At least from what I saw during matches in Hong Kong and Singapore.  I don't know about all the different variations...

On the other side, American Football, there are very few players these days that play by gentleman's rules.  I often see cheap shots and blind-side hits, and coaches encourage their guys to take opposing star players "out of the game" (aka injure him).

With that said, yea its brutal and I'm amazed there aren't more serious injuries.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:44:34 PM by Conan » Logged

ceinjapan

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 12:19:17 AM »

One of my friend who played rugby at his school days says rugby is more safer than American football.
The reasons are  that tackles in rugby  come from behind , left or right sides not from front.
So there are nos so many heads on collisions.
Also says that the basic of tackle in rugby is wrap,grab and wait fellow defenders come.
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 10:28:23 AM »

:) I thought release date for France in January, if it is really February 24th, AB, Satu and me, we can go to watch together!  :D

Awesome! :) True it is, I will be in Paris at that time if all goes as planned. How cool would it be to watch it together!  :D

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 11:06:07 AM »

I saw the Friday estimate yesterday, and figured the movie might do around $10 million. I wouldn't expect this material to have a huge opening.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »

I'm no big Rugby fan tho I played it at school (not thru choice) and Conan and ceinjapan have both mentioned the main differences between it and the American game and possibley the reasons there arn't more serious injuries.
 Tho I reckon Aussie Rules football is tougher than both.  ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »

I saw the Friday estimate yesterday, and figured the movie might do around $10 million. I wouldn't expect this material to have a huge opening.

I agree... this movie isn't going to attrack the teenagers and have a huge opening.  Most likely it will be more like the usual Clint movies that open modestly but will be around for a longer time, especially since this film will attrack more the older crowd.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:56:31 PM by exit00 » Logged
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 02:28:35 PM »

palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 03:40:17 AM »

This is one movie I'd expect to fair better away from the US market. I would imagine it will be the biggest movie South Africa has seen at least

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 12:32:02 PM »

I saw Invictus over the weekend in Bayside. Freeman definately should be nominated for an Oscar. I thought the movie was extremely inspiring in many aspects. but the movie was about 30 minutes too long. Personally I cant see Invictus being a big Box Office hit. I hope it is, but people will go see dopey movies like Avatar or The Twilight Saga.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T