News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who saw INVICTUS? Members' Comments  (Read 24195 times)
dak

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2010, 06:13:24 PM »

Haven't seen it yet

Dak
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »

Well, when you do, Dak, we'd like to hear your comments! :)
davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2010, 12:10:58 PM »

Finally I picked up enough courage to watch "Invictus".

My intial fears were correct.  I found it intensley boring and tedious.  Sorry fellow members.

Unfortunately, I cannot stand rugby (or any sport for that matter), I do not care for Matt Damons screen presence (I`ll excuse Private Ryan) and there was just something about Morgan Freemans performance that annoyed me.  Maybe it was the voice, although I do appreciate that it was very like Mandela.

This is the one and only Eastwood movie that I will not be watching again.

I only hope that Hereafter will be a winner, then again, Matt Damon. :'(

"Theres three dollars, including the tip"
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »

davytriumph I am sorry you feel as you do about Invictus, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and likes and dislikes.   What a boring world this would be if we all liked the same things.

I did enjoy it as I love Rugby Union and well remember that win by the Springboks.

I too don't really like Matt Damon and find him a bit wooden.  He certainly bore no resemblance to Pienaar. 

Source of picture http://www.africansuccess.org/docs/image/mandela-pienaar-95-1.jpg

I am prepared to give Damon a chance in .  I think Palooka would be best to post on Damon as he has worked with him.  Maybe I just don't like Damon very much and felt that Pienaar would have been better played by someone else.
bigdai

"Keep it secret, keep it safe."

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »

Being a history teacher and rugby fan I was really looking forward to seeing Invictus but sadly it lived up to my expectations. I was laughing to myself reading through the thread especailly the comments about how rugby players nearly kill each other during games. Sadly there have been instances of deaths but this applies to most physcial contact sports. In the late 1990s the then Wales rugby captain sustained a serious spinal injury from which he has never fully recovered and I know of friends who have had near misses and serious concussions and broken bones. Someone said that rugby players don't take cheap shots which is rubbish. I remember my first ever match in senior school against a local school rival when one of your players fly-kicked an opponent in the head. While the rest of us 12years old stopped in horror our teacher (who also refereed the game) shouted "thats the spirit son - I want to see the rest f you show some of that". Terrifying at the time but funny years later. There are constantly players being cited (banned) for throwing punches, eye gauging and the like. It is interesting that while football (soccer) suffers from hooliganism but no violence on the field, rugby fans freely drink and mix during and after games with no violence and laugh about the match they have seen. Rugby is a gentleman's game played by thugs. There is also real concern at the moment about the threat to players health in the long and short term. Wales centre Jamie Roberts was in a clash with an Australian counter-part last year and cracked his skull during a game - after a bit of water from a sponge he finished the game - scary!

The reason I bring these things up is that unfortunately it is the big problem with the film. Clint just doesn't get the game. I understand that it is the story that is important but the vehicle to tell the tale needs to be done well. I can excuse the clunky, explanatory dialogue for the US audience but the action scenes need to be realistic. Rugby is violent, aggressive and fast. In Invictus the rugby scenes looked like something from a high school soap-opera.  I'm sure if members look on youtube they will find some quality videos of players tackling. Type in 'Scott Gibbs tackle' and you are sure to find something to compare Clint's action sequences to.

I also like Matt Damon as an actor but he was sadly mis-cast. Pienaar is huge, the casting director should have hired someone who was over six foot - possibly an unknown South African? Likewise for Jonah Lomu. I remember laughing my behind off when he trampled England (especially Mike Catt) during the World Cup but the film just didn't do him justice. He played for Cardiff Blues towards the end of his career and while his pace had gone and he wasn't the same player after serious illness, he was still a physical monster with a massive aura about him. Sadly, Clint got this all wrong.

There are other issues with the film as well but I think that most of these have been mentioned elsewhere. I am trying to remember the name of a good rugby film that was made about 10 years ago and will post if I remember it.

I've finally got a new job! Hoorah!!!
bigdai

"Keep it secret, keep it safe."

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2010, 01:02:06 PM »

OK - a great film about Rugby Union is 'Old Scores'. I can't believe it is nearly twenty years old. If anyone has a passing interest in the game or just likes a good comedy this is for you. Rugby scenes aren't amazing but it is made by people who understand the game. This is the imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102581/ .

If Rugby League is your fancy try 'This Sporting Life'. More serious but rugby as the vehicle delivers the story. It stars Richard Harris who before the drink was himself a very accomplished player.

I've finally got a new job! Hoorah!!!
El Cigarillo

"Who says I was jokin?"

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »

I meant to ask too, that did anyone else think that little piano bit that's played throughout the film, is practically the same tune from Unforgiven?

its in CHANGELING also ::)

Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »

I know i'm late with my critique but I just didn't fancy it. I watched it today on SKY Movies and loved it. Well acted, paced and it had me hooked from the first scene.
Well done Clint ! O0
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »

I thought this was good but was disappointed in it because it could have been so much more. Nelson Mandela is such a giant historical figure. His life is full of interesting stories. I think part of the problem for me was that I was far more interested in the political, human interest side of the story and far less engaged in the sports element. I am not a sports enthusiast, and really don't care much about rugby or South Africa winning the World Cup. I'd give this a "B" but feel as if it was such a missed opportunity. Why didn't Clint Eastwood do a straight biopic, as he did with "J. Edgar" and "Bird." I just didn't feel as if this slice of Nelson Mandela's life was the most interesting or consequential. This movie could have been amazing. What we have is a decent sports picture with a few good scenes and the important elements of Nelson Mandela's life on the periphery. This could have been so much more. What do you guys think? Wasn't this picture a missed opportunity?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T