News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Movie Discussion  (Read 28740 times)
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2010, 11:00:25 PM »

And the teaser for the Jonah Hex movie is out...
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/jonah-hex/trailer
My initial reaction?

Something along those lines  :D
Heloooooo Hollywood. There's a reason Wild Wild West failed!

For all you young rapscallions in here, Jonah Hex was a scarred badass bountyhunter who starred in a comic starting in the early 70s to late 80s, which was modeled loosely after Eastwood's man with no name performance. Later in the 90s DC tried to give the character a reboot and added some occult themes (having him fight zombies and chuthulhu like monsters) but they never made it stick...
I dont mind a rewrite to bring the character up to date with current audiences, but this is NOT Jonah Hex, This could just as well have been the trailer for the next ghost rider movie . If i'm drunk enough I might go see it due to the Malkowich/Brolin factor, but nothing else.
(and yes, Megan Fox has really lost her appeal by now. She might be hotter than a sack full of volcanos, but she can't act to save her life...)   
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2010, 03:05:07 PM »

"Iron Man 2", this evening.

The trailer was so entertaining and "rock", we (family and I) have so many times watched the first one on DVD that we were waiting for the second one ... What a deception ... only the first 10 minutes are good ... after, poor scenario, good effects of course, but what an annoying movie ... If I could give a mark : 1,5/5 !!!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:10:50 PM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2010, 09:06:21 PM »

My initial reaction?

Something along those lines  :D

;D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »

Yeah, nice seeing you around, Chessie!

Glad to hear you liked How to Train Your Dragon. I may see that this coming weekend.
I did see How to Train Your Dragon a few days after this post, and it was very good! One of the best animated films from Dreamworks.

I saw A Nightmare on Elm Street today and thought it was okay. It's just a shame that most directors who direct horror films nowadays don't seem to know how to direct them! The jump scenes are annoying--the "jump" part comes from a loud screech on the soundtrack. They should, in fact, be used sparingly so they'll have an effect. Perhaps they should have studied Craven's film a little more.

Jackie Earle Haley's performance as Freddy is good.

Will most likely see Iron Man 2 this weekend.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »

I watched Iron Man 2 last night--I liked it! The character of Tony Stark is so different from a lot of the other superheroes I'm familiar with--he's really quite a jerk! ;D And Robert Downey Jr's performance is excellent.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2010, 08:56:31 AM »

"Robin Hood", Ridley Scott, on screen two days ago.

I liked it very much, especially the part played by the nice Cate Blanchett as Marianne, and the battles scenes are amazing. Maybe could we imagine a younger Robin Hood ... but Russell Crowe made a "good job" ;)  

http://media.melty.fr/media--image-325405-article-ajust_650.jpg
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:01:28 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2010, 11:21:11 AM »

"Iron Man 2", this evening.

The trailer was so entertaining and "rock", we (family and I) have so many times watched the first one on DVD that we were waiting for the second one ... What a deception ... only the first 10 minutes are good ... after, poor scenario, good effects of course, but what an annoying movie ... If I could give a mark : 1,5/5 !!!

Really Sylvie  :o I was happily surprised when it didn`t suck as so many times these comic book sequeals does.I think Robert Downey,Sam Rockwell and Mickey Rourke were good and the effects were good enough too.Obviously it lacks the originality as it`s sequel but still good fun if not a masperpiece like The Dark Knight.

Also watched Robin Hood  and as much I liked it,it never quite won me over like  Crowe/Scott`s The Gladiator did.Still very well made film with good acting and great action.The end`s  battle  is quite epic and definitely the high point of the movie.Blanchette was  quite good as Lady Marian..and usually I don`t care for her that much.                    

Btw I´d be lying if I said I´m not looking forward to see these films:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44943

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6RU5y2fU6s

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:05:13 PM by Hemlock » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2010, 04:23:15 PM »

I saw Shrek Forever After opening day and like it more than I thought I would after Shrek the Third ended up being just an okay film, and still the weakest of the Shrek movies. Forever After basically shows Shrek what everyone else's life would have been like had he not been born. There's a little more to it than that, so I don't think I'm giving any spoiler information. I'd say this one is about the best since the first.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:24:34 PM by Christopher » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »

I saw Iron Man 2. I thought it was okay. I thought the first one was better. This one was entertaining but I felt the story was quite weak. There were a lot of action scenes but very little to entice the viewer to really invest themselves in their characters.

I also saw Harry Brown. I really like Michael Caine as an actor so I was looking forward to this one, but really found it to be terrible. The plot was incredibly weak and the entire story was very dark. I expected the movie to be more fun than it was. Everything was deathly serious and quite gruesomely presented. Both the content and the way the movie was filmed was pretty unappealing. I was really disappointed in this one. To top it all off, I went to see the movie on Sunday at 1:30PM and paid $11. I thought that was exorbitant for such an early showing. 
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2010, 07:56:34 PM »

I finally saw Avatar! I love this movie!

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »

Btw I´d be lying if I said I´m not looking forward to see these films:

Hemlock, seeing as you linked Machete with that big badass mexican Danny Trejo, have you checked out the teaser trailer for the other Danny Trejo movie that's comming out?

DANNY TREJO'S VENGEANCE

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/danny-trejos-vengeance/teaser-trailer

Somewhere Paul Kersey and Frank Castle is nodding in approval   :D

I would be lying too, if I said, I didn't look forwards to The Expendables as well. It's like the 80s never ended  ;)

Moviewise I've recently seen Iron Man 2, Robin Hood and Prince of Persia.

I think Iron Man 2 somewhat lacks the heart that made the first one so great. Much like in Spiderman 2, all his problems seemed to solve themselves and the endfight with Whiplash was way too short. All in all it was good mindless fun, but it would have been nice if Marvel had the guts to finally make a script that dealt with Tony Stark's alchoholism. The teaser at the end involving Thor was great though  ;)

I think Robin Hood would have worked better if it wasn't a Robin Hood movie. I know they were trying to make him a Robin Hood for the next generation, and while I really enjoy Heroes that match my taste in Coffee (Dark and Bitter) this was way too dark and bitter to work for my taste. 
To some degree I think it's the modernizing of several heroes in movies that has led to this trend. Characters like Batman, Jason Bourne and James Bond has been brought "up-to-date" and it worked nicely (massive blockbuster nicely in fact) for these characters, mainly because they had that dark strek in their personality to begin with that could be expanded without it feeling forced.
At the same time it didn't work as well for a character like Robin Hood (Russel Crowe makes him look like a medieval version of the Punisher), simply because Robin Hood is a character that needs that goodhearted or wisecracking streak along with a strong belief in being a truly good guy for him to work properly. ( Still enjoyed Cate Blanchett though...  8) )

Prince of Persia had this goodhearted and wisecracking hero and a plot that is suspiciously similar to the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. The characters are the same, the story is the same, the fights are the same and it all takes place in a Middle Earth/East setting with Nazgul/Hashayins and Indiana Jones booby traps aplenty. 
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »

Photo from here

Holy piss... The A-Team is a wild ride. This was such a ridiculously great time and I haven't had this much fun at the theatres in quite a while. I had a huge grin on my face the whole length of this movie. I felt like I was eight years old again watching the TV show.

So much crazy stuff happens that you can't help but not love this thing. Implausible prison escapes, tank flying, a last act that makes no sense and is over the top and unbelievable that by the time it comes you've just given up on this thing making sense and you're enjoying the ride. All the leads are great or good. Bradley Cooper as Face does what he needs to do, Sharlto Copley holds up with his own version of Murdock, Rampage Jackson is good as B.A. (but obviously filling Mr. T's shoes would be hard) and Liam Neeson is great as Col. Hannibal Smith. A few years ago George Clooney was so close to taking the Smith role and I think that he would have done fine as well but it's fun to see Neeson hamming it up and having a good time here.

If you're looking to just be entertained for two hours and and go for a thrill ride PLEASE check this one out.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2010, 08:57:26 PM »

I just saw the trailer for Devil earier this evening on IMDb!

The film's main page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1314655/

Looks like it could be really good!

And I've seen various 2010 releases I haven't commented on yet--I'll get to that soon.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2010, 02:39:42 AM »

"INCEPTION",  by Christopher Nolan, with Leonardo Di Caprio, Marion Cotillard, Ken Watanabe ... on screen yesterday afternoon.

I think it's a little bit hard to "come inside" the film, the first half of an hour is not really clear ... then you start to follow all the stories / dreams / thoughts mixed all together,  the scenario is brilliant and some scenes are amazing. Leonardo is very good (but I love Leonardo Di Caprio, so my opinion will often be the same ... ;)), just like the other actors as well. And the end ... beautiful !
On can find that it looks like "Matrix" sometimes, but that is not really evident, not on the same level at all.
This morning, when I woke up, I tried to replay my last dream, wrote it in a small story, and I will find the connections with the following ones, and maybe with the past ones if I can  : without giving you a spoiler, that can help ! ;)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:29:12 AM by Sylvie » Logged

2007 Movie journal
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2010, 07:07:44 PM »

I saw Inception today and really, really loved it! O0 When I first started seeing previews of it, I wasn't sure what it would be about and wasn't sure if I'd make it to see it or not. I'm happy I did look a little more into it and decided to see it--I left the theater thinking I'd love to see it again on the big screen, and will buy the DVD when it's released. This will probably be my favorite movie of 2010.

Now, briefly, to catch up with my other 2010 film viewings:

The A-Team--I agree with Brendan that this was a lot of fun. I would recommend for people who don't mind their action "out there."

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time--I seriously didn't know this was based on a video game until around the time it was released. I enjoyed it.

Grown Ups--Uh, a few funny moments. Very light on story or purpose. Could be the most mediocre 2010 release I see (and I'm probably just being very polite there).

The Karate Kid--I've grown up watching the original movies. I was pleased with this remake.

Toy Story 3--This movie was great! I really love the first two movies, and had been looking forward to this one for a while now. It delivered.

Despicable Me--Another movie I was very pleased with! Very funny.

Salt--A good action movie. There are some twists and turns that really kept me guessing as it went along.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2010, 06:43:08 AM »

TOY STORY 3 , two days ago .
I liked it very much, as funny and as well made as the previous ones ! Buzz and Woody at their best ! And Mr Potato as a Tortilla is hilarious ! One film I will buy on DVD, no problem ! O0
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:54:33 AM by Sylvie » Logged

2007 Movie journal
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2010, 08:16:45 PM »

A trailer is now available for the remake of True Grit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd3trHZwLBI

I'm excited!!!
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »

A trailer is now available for the remake of True Grit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd3trHZwLBI

I'm excited!!!

Yup, me too.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2010, 08:25:07 AM »

I'm excited!!!

Christopher, thanks for posting this O0

I didn't realize that was Jeff Bridges, he looks more like Kris Kristofferson :o
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2010, 03:46:03 PM »

I just saw this trailer today online for Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pH9IyqTk1E

I don't know if it's supposed to get a U.S. release... but I sure hope so!

For other 2010 releases I've seen but haven't commented on:

Dinner for Schmucks: This one was okay--some funny moments but nothing memorable.

The Expendables: This, too, was okay but nothing memorable. :D

Piranha 3D: I liked this--it's everything you'd expect and then some.

Devil: I was pleased with this. It's a nice claustrophobic setting.

My Soul to Take: I was excited about a new Wes Craven movie. The film is okay but seems to be taking on more than it can chew. Aspects of the movie were very entertaining but over all, it didn't work as well as I would have liked it to.

Red: This was fun. And I am a fan of Bruce Willis and John Malkovich, who is quite funny in this.

The Social Network: This was the best of the lot mentioned here. Whether or not it's truthful about the events it portrays, I'm not sure, but it's a very engaging movie.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T