News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Movie Discussion  (Read 27191 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2010, 08:27:31 PM »

No, I haven't seen it. I might go, if it's still in the theaters a few weeks from now and I've got nothing better to do.

If you check this post, you'll find that ol' Tuco is indeed in Wall Street 2. 8)
AnecdotistOwl

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »

I saw Shutter Island about a week ago and I enjoyed it. Being a Martin Scorsese fan I made sure to read up on the book before I saw the movie. The book was (as it is in most cases) way better than the film - I think the film missed some of the great humour and also lacked the chemistry between Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule and of course it skipped some parts.

Having that said I still enjoyed the film, it was beautifully shot - some sequences were magnificent. The location was top notch and I liked the music as well. Now I wouldn't consider Leo the perfect fit for the role as Teddy but I thought he managed to do the part great. As for the film and the plot I think Martin got it together pretty good and I definitely thought it was rock solid.

The most unforunate thing though, is that it felt kind of dependent on the ending twist and it felt abit tiring - especially for me who saw it coming having read the book. But I still think Martin did a great job visualizing a great book and the general dark feel of the book.

As for Avatar I don't like it. George Lucas once said that a special effect is nothing without a plot and/or story to it and that's how I felt when I saw Avatar - full of clichés and extreme stereotypes. When I see a movie I expect something that feels unique inside that films universe and Avatar is just another average film without a smart plot and a ton of CG. Long live practical special effects!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:43:08 PM by AnecdotistOwl » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 01:12:37 AM »

:) Did someone already see "Crazy Heart" with Jeff Bridges ?

The trailer is very good, and it will be on French sceens on Wednesday the 3rd. I like this actor very much, and I'm pleased his own "cinema actu " is very important  this year  ;)

I saw it the other night and I thought Jeff Bridges performance was excellent and he’s my pick for best actor at the Oscars.

Besides being very clichéd I enjoyed the movie as a whole and the supporting cast was great.  Always good to see old Robert Duvall pop up and bring a smile to your face.  Collin Farrell plays a spot on rising county star who owes his beginnings to Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal has a decent role as the love interest.  James Keane turns in a comedic performance as the weasely manager.

A little on the long side and drawn out at times but it has it share of scene grabbers.  It was decent but I won’t find my self rushing out and snatching the DVD upon it’s release or anything.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 02:04:43 AM »

:) Thank you for the info d'Ambrosia !
I will try to see it during next week-end, it is only in one movie theatre here,  but in original version, that's great ! ;)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 03:35:59 AM »

Has anyone seen the Travolta film From Paris With Love?

Any thoughts?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »

I saw Alice in Wonderland today. I liked it. I have to admit (though I'm not sure why I'd admit to this...) I geeked out a bit hearing Depp recite part of "Jabberwocky." :D ;D But, anyhow, the movie opens with Alice as a child, telling her father about a dream she has had about falling down a hole and some of the things she saw there. Skip ahead thirteen years, and Alice is 19 and has been having the same reoccurring dream. Her father has passed away and she finds out a boy is about to ask her to marry him, though she's not thrilled with the idea. She sees the rabbit with the timepiece and hurries along after it, falling down the rabbit hole. And then her new adventure begins.

I've read Alice in Wonderland but haven't read Through the Looking Glass yet, but was glad that I'd read the original work. I kept thinking that it probably helps to have some idea of the original story.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:15:19 PM by Christopher » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »

Action fans who love a high body count, explosions, car chases etc will enjoy From Paris With Love.

John Travolta was only actor I recognized in this, but it wasn't too bad. At only 90 minutes it gets into the action quickly so it doesn't drag on.

The scene on the Paris freeway with Travolta hanging out the passenger side window of the car with a bazooka was a little comical but the pay off was worth it.

Leave your brain at the door and watch the bodies mount.

3/5.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2010, 08:33:27 PM »

Green Zone

Or as I read in the paper this morning, Bourne In Baghdad.

Director Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon reteam for a cracking good actioner with a great plot set in Iraq in the early days of the war. I highly recommend this one.

Just a warning that if the steadycam gives you a headache when you watch a film, have the disprin handy.

4/5.

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »

From Paris With Love and Green Zone are must see films for me.
I liked a lot Taken and if I´m not mistaken the same production team has made From Paris... and I loved Bourne-films so I´m very much looking forward to see Green Zone...hopefully already this weekend  ;)

I saw Shutter Island last sunday.Good enough film but nothing special.The end`s twist was expected.Still it`s the second best Scorsese-DiCaprio film.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 02:47:49 AM »

Saw Polanski's The Ghost Writer.  It's a solid movie, well made, with good acting.  It has a nice cameo by Eli Wallach in it.  I just don't think its payoff at the end was strong enough.  I understood it and I know it's a frightening thought but just not enough of one.  And really, why the need to ....?  I can't ask the question without revealing a spoiler, but anyway, I rate it a B/B+.  I'll have to see how it holds up on a second viewing.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:50:42 AM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2010, 01:20:19 AM »

Shutter Island

Definitely lesser Scorsese.

Martin Scorsese in pastiche mode, kinda like Cape Fear.
Lacked his usual energy and humor.

Must've counted at least 100 Hitchcock references.

5/10

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2010, 06:03:30 AM »

There's a sequel to Wall Street directed by Oliver Stone and starring Michael Douglas.

This was due for release next month, but has been put on the shelf for another five months!!!

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »

Watched Green Zone and I Love You Phillip Morris back to back last sunday.I liked them both quite a bit.

Green Zone was very well made and acted and all that but for some reason I had the feeling that I´ve seen films like this before...but as said I liked it anyway.
I Love You Phillip Morris was something different.Parts of it was hilarious and times it was almost touching.Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor did a great job.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 05:00:21 PM »

Shutter Island

Definitely lesser Scorsese.

Martin Scorsese in pastiche mode, kinda like Cape Fear.
Lacked his usual energy and humor.

Must've counted at least 100 Hitchcock references.

5/10
Cape Fear? The horror! :o ;)
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2010, 07:01:31 AM »

"Oceans", film by Jacques Perrin and Jacques Cluzaud ... I've just came back from theatre, totally "under the spell " of that film !

Amazing, beautiful : nearly two hours inside the oceans and seas, with fantastic animals, sharks, dolphins, fishes and so on ... and unforgettable whales ... Magical !!!

10/10 !!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:19:52 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
AnecdotistOwl

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2010, 03:53:23 PM »

The brand new and first trailer for Edgar Wrights new film (coming in august I think) has just launched. It's called "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" which is based on a graphic novel series titled Scott Pilgrim. This is my most anticipated film for 2010 and I've made sure to read the graphic novel prior to the movie, the graphic novel is hilarious and the trailer looks really good!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:57:31 PM by AnecdotistOwl » Logged
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »

My best friend and I saw "How to Train Your Dragon" in 3D last night.  It was wayyyyyy too cute for words.   Just so adorable. 

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »

A Chessie sighting! :D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »

Yeah, nice seeing you around, Chessie!

Glad to hear you liked How to Train Your Dragon. I may see that this coming weekend.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2010, 06:44:25 AM »

"Alice in Wonderland" (Alice au Pays des Merveilles, French title), Tim Burton 3D version.

I liked it very much, and found it a very entertaining film !
I like the way it was filmed,  beautiful costumes, good and funny actresses/actors (especially Johnny Depp ! ;)) and family and I had a very good evening at theatre, one week ago !
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:49:24 PM by Sylvie » Logged

2007 Movie journal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T