News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most Successful Leaps from the Small Screen to the Big Screen  (Read 1246 times)
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:34:16 PM »

" 12 Best Transitions from TV to Movies "

Most Successful Leaps from the Small Screen to the Big Screen

http://www.mania.com/12-transitions-from-tv-to-movies_article_124405.html

By Tim Janson

In television’s Golden Age of the 1950s, big stars jumped at the chance to get into the new medium. If offered stability and a regular paycheck, something films could not always offer. As TV grew, a division was drawn between small and big screen actors. Film actors seldom appeared on TV and TV actors rarely were able to cross over and have great success in films. In this article we’ve selected 12 of the most successful TV to film transitions ever. We’re basing success both in terms of critical success, such as the awards they’ve won, and also on the box office accomplishments of their films. The only stipulation was that they had to have been a regular on a TV show. Thus, actors who made guest-starring appearances on TV like Harrison Ford or Leonardo DiCaprio were not included.

1. Clint Eastwood

All of the actors on our list are icons in their own right but only one is a true screen legend, Clint Eastwood. But even this legend started out in TV. For eight seasons from 1959 to 1966, Eastwood played Rowdy Yates in Rawhide, one of the longest-running westerns in TV history. The success of the show led Eastwood to his famous “man with no name” character in the spaghetti westerns Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1965) and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966). Eastwood ownedthe 1970s with more great westerns: High Plains Drifter (1972), The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976), and with the creation of one of the greatest characters in film history, San Francisco police inspector “Dirty Harry” Callahan, whom he played in five films. Eastwood is equally accomplished as a filmmaker having directed Play Misty For Me (1971), The Gauntlet (1977), Sudden Impact (1983), Pale Rider (1985), Heartbreak Ridge (1986), Unforgiven (1992), Mystic River (2003), Million Dollar Baby (2004), Letters from Iwo Jima (2006), Invictus (2009) and Gran Torino (2009), to name a few. Eastwood has won two Academy Awards for Best Director, and two more for Best Picture. He’s been nominated ten times. He’s also won three Golden Globes. Clint has been named to Quigley Publications' annual Top 10 Poll of Money-Making Stars 21 times, making him #2 all-time for appearances in the top 10 list. Only John Wayne, with 25 appearances in the Top 10, has more. With Gran Torino, Eastwood became the oldest man to reach #1 at the box office, and the longest running movie star in history. Clint Eastwood…the most successful TV to film star in history!

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
icnmedia

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »

BRAVO! I 100% aggree!!!
icnmedia

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:34:54 AM »

yes, there has been a lot attempts, a lot of them are now back on TV (which depresses me).

charles bronson, steve mcqueen, and thats just a couple in the past that comes right to mind. Now theyre back on TV.  2 time oscar winner sally field, geena davis tried, donald sutherland, Jon voight, Just heard dustin hoffman is coming to HBO.

BUT Clint has ALWAYS stayed true! I just cant picture him on the small screen again! YIKE!!!!!!!
I am biased, but I also feel that with clints history, accomplishments, awards, starring, directing, producing, now film composing (and wgo knows what else he's doing!? ALL THIS AT 80 YRS OLD! All I gotta say is God bless him!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T