News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 19388 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:14:02 AM »

One HELL of a game!

Postgame Reaction vs. Montreal
Thursday, 03.24.2011 / 11:24 PM / Features
By Hannah Becker  - BostonBruins.com
BOSTON – Seven goals and Tim Thomas’ 25th career shutout later, the Boston Bruins proved why they are the Northeast Division leaders as they defeated the Montreal Canadiens 7-0 tonight in TD Garden.

Five different Bruins scored in the emotional battle set on what was, for tonight, the NHL’s biggest stage. 

As the two long-time rivals clashed, Boston came out battling from the first drop of the puck.

“We just wanted to come out strong, play hard, finish our checks, play smart, and just really work hard. Obviously, we want to start feeling better about ourselves, and tonight was good,” said B’s forward Nathan Horton, who netted two goals in the win.

Defenseman Johnny Boychuk started things off for Boston, tallying his second goal of the season just 1:01 into the game.

“It just hit the boards and came straight to me and just put it on net and [Milan Lucic] was basically right on top of him, [Price] couldn’t see anything,” Boychuk said of his goal.

”We just wanted to go out there and get the first one and get ourselves and everybody into the game.”

Boychuk added an assist on Gregory Campbell’s first goal of the night at 13:43 in the first. The tally gave Boychuk his third career multiple-point game.

The Bruins kept the pressure up throughout he entire game, leading to Tim Thomas’ eighth shutout of the season, and 25th of his NHL career.

“It’s a memorable one, not so much because I had that much work. I did have to do some, but, the beauty of watching the whole game in front of me, and it was a whole game that the crowd could enjoy themselves through,” said Thomas.

“Never really too much pins and needles after a while because we took the lead and we never gave it up and never got on our heels.”

While Thomas’ defensive play was outstanding, it was the Bruins offense that dominated the game.

Six Bruins had multiple-point games, including three point efforts from Milan Lucic, Zdeno Chara and David Krejci.

“Guys played really hard and showed a lot of character in this room. And obviously a lot of guys stepped up in their games and played huge,” Chara said.

“We had big contributions from the third and fourth line, our power play was really solid, moved the puck well. We killed all the penalties. So basically we had everything going what we were tried to looking for in this game.”

The B’s will look to take the momentum they gained from tonight’s win into the final nine games of the regular season and into the playoffs.

“That’s the way we wish we could play every night. It should be a big confidence booster for us going forward,” Thomas said.

“It’s the blueprint of the type of game we want to play.”

Source:  Boston Bruins Official Website

I'm not sure where to post this so I'll just start a new thread unless/until one of the moderators move it, of which I won't mind.  Anyway, the Bruins had one hell of a game last night.  Now, I haven't watched an NHL game from beginning to end (on tv) in years.  There was a lot of hype about last night's game so like many others, I decided to tune in to see if there was going to be a beat-down.  To be honest, if that happened my interest wouldn't have lasted long and I'd have changed the channel.  Better to save that kind of stuff for boxing matches.  Still, living close to Boston I have a natural distaste for the Canadiens (same goes for the Yankees) so I was hoping if there was a major fight then the B's would come out victorious.

However, I came away with something far, far better.  The Bruins played a great, professional game and scored numerous times, shutting the Canadiens out, 7-0.  They scored early in the 1st period and didn't look back.  Their opponent had a few opportunities due to Bruins' penalties but just could not capitalize.  When they were down a man I kept thinking, "Man, it'd be great if the Bruins scored a short-handed goal."  Not only did this happen, but they scored when they were down 2 players!  That was the icing on the cake!  The best Bruins game I've ever seen.

Oh, for those who are Canadiens and/or Yankees fans, no offense.  I'm not ashamed of my inbred dislike of teams outside of Boston or New England at all but I am a realist.  I acknowledge those team have won multiple championships and that's great for them and their fans.  I'm not one of those local fans that owns bumper-stickers or t-shirts that state "Yankees Suck!" or the like.  I don't agree with that sentiment at all.  How could they, with so many championships?!  But that's just me.

So, I've covered all the bases.  Again, I'm not sure where to post this so moderators please feel free to move it to the appropriate thread, if there is one.  Thank you, thankyouverymuch  8)

“Eyuh.”
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »

We already have separate threads, for Baseball, Cricket, Golf and Football (Soccer), so this thread is for all other sport talk or news. :)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:39:49 AM »

My wife, Nicholas and I were out and about yesterday with a friend and her daughter when I noticed the Bruins vs. Rangers on tv at a local 99 restaurant.  It was early 1st period with no score.  I stopped for a few seconds to watch.  That fantastic win over the Canadiens has almost re-sparked my interest in NHL games but I just don't have the patience to sit through a game from beginning to end so I may just check the schedule and use our DVR.  This way I can skim through all the nonsense and just watch the action.  I don't have my hopes up, but wish the Bruins would win another Stanley Cup like, in my lifetime!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:41:20 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:10:14 PM »

Two-time defending champion Dario Franchitti of Scotland won Sunday's season-opening IndyCar Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, defeating Australian pole sitter Will Power by seven seconds. :)

TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 04:20:58 PM »

Sebastian Vettel won the Australian Grands Prix.

Lewis Hamilton, who qualified second to Vettel in the McLaren, finished a distant runner-up as Vitaly Petrov came home a surprising third in the Lotus Renault GP entry.
Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and native Australian Mark Webber completed the top five.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »

Been meaning to gloat:

The Mavs sweep the Lakers!

And to top it off the Lakers' center Andrew Bynum (300+ pounds) takes one of the worst cheap shots in recent memory on the Mavs smallest player Barea (under 200 pounds).  Finally after a couple of days Bynum has issued an apology, no doubt from someone's advice.  That cheap shot is going to cost the big man A LOT of money, because I have no doubt there will be a hefty suspension for next year (assuming there's a season next year).  Anyway good riddance Lakers.  They weren't just swept, they were destroyed and embarrassed with a 36 point loss.  Go Mavs.  Here's hoping for a Mavs/Bulls finals.

I will say I can hardly wait for these NBA playoffs to end, so I can get back to watching movies.   :)

And I don't mean to offend any Laker fans here, but you've had your championships and all those bragging rigths.  The rest of us are sick of the Lakers.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »

As an update: Bynum got a five game suspension.  It really should have been ten, in my opinion.  And he was fined $25 thousand for tearing off his jersey on the way off the court.  Now where is the sense of propriety here?  Phil Jackson was fined $35,000 for criticizing the refereeing in the series before game 4 (which in itself was a bit of irony), but Bynum disgraces the game and gets fined $25,000.  It is really any wonder so many people don't like the NBA?

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 03:36:43 AM »

I am a huge Dallas Mavericks fan! This is the best that I have ever seen them play! Go Mavs! O0

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 07:00:19 AM »

I am a huge Dallas Mavericks fan! This is the best that I have ever seen them play! Go Mavs! O0

I love what I'm seeing from your Mavs.  They really blew it five years ago (with a little help from the refereeing  :P), and in the meanwhile they've been this great regular season team that turns into a joke in the playoffs.  Now, finally for the first time, they really look like they have it all together.  I wasn't sure they'd really changed in the Portland series, but seeing the series with the Lakers has made me a believer.  They really have a total team, and now they have the confidence.  So watch out!  Unfortunately, Chicago looks as if they are still a few steps away from being a "great" team, and so I'm sure the Heat will make it to the finals.  Gawddammit, I can't stand the galactic-sized egomania that is LeBron James, and so I'm sooo hoping the Mavs can crush the Heat in the finals.  Although I don't think the Thunder will be an easy series, and sadly I really like both the Thunder and the Grizzlies--it's almost a shame one of those two teams have to lose this series.

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »

The Mavs won tonight to take a 2-1 series against The Thunder. They are one tough team to beat. Doug, I agree with you about Lebron James.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »

Go Mavs!

The question is can the Mavs handle the Heat's defense?  I think they can.  Unlike Chicago they actually have players that can MAKE SHOTS.  Everybody's jumping on the Heat bandwagon, but if Chicago just could have knocked down their open shots, they would have been up this series.  I don't see Dallas crumbling in the 4th quarter like the Bulls did in every game they lost against the Heat.  Dallas is too deep, too good.

And they're saying LeBron is going to guard Dirk.   ;D ;D ;D  That'll last maybe a quarter, and that's it, besides special moments.  Even the Heat can't believe that will last, or they wouldn't be tipping their hand at this point.

Mavs in five...  O0

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:38:03 AM »

Mavs win it in six and the 7 foot German Dirk Nowitzki is the MVP.

Good for Dirk and good for the Mavs.  I've never particularly liked Mark Cuban, but he's been a good owner and he kept himself completely in the background this playoffs, so good for him.  Dirk can now finally be recognized without reservations as one of the great players on our era and in NBA history.  He didn't shoot particularly well in the series (for him), but he always came through big in the 4th quarter.  When it really counts.  Game one I thought the Mavs might really be in trouble, because Miami actually played great team basketball, but game two was pivotal.  Miami was up by 15 points with only six minutes left in the game, when all of a sudden the Mavs stormed back, and Dirk hit the game-winner at the end. 

Game three was another close one, and this time Dirk had the chance to tie the game as time ran out, but missed the shot.  Dallas came from behind to win the next game and in games five and six, they finally started knocking down shots, winning both and winning the championship. 

Of course, one of the biggest stories on the Finals was: Where was LeBron?  As much as I don't like him and as much as I've thought for a couple years that he lacks the heart and killer instinct to lead his team to multiple championships (an opinion I've caught some flack over, but who's laughing now?!), I never would have imagined ever his averaging 17 points a game, nine less than he averaged in the regular season, and his overall lack of interest in what was happening.   Sure, he played tough defense, but mostly during the first few games, as even his defense grew lazy and uninvolved the last three games.  He made his share of great passes, but he can do that in his sleep, and it looked to me like that was pretty much what he was doing.  And in no game was he remotely a factor in any of the fourth quarters.  Of course, the 8 point game four was the low point of the series.  Eight points!

And LeBron has also shown what a truly classless human being he is with the numerous comments over these two weeks.  The media has been trying claim that he will possibly be the greatest player who's ever played when it's all said and done, but right now, not only is he not even remotely as good as Michael Jordan, he's yet to prove he's better than, say, Scottie Pippen when judging his play in the finals.  Maybe some day he'll grow up, but in the meanwhile there's a lot of exciting teams out there I hope can make it to the finals before he makes it back.

Congrats to the Mavs!

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 05:36:26 AM »

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:38:18 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 06:49:39 AM »

I was glad to see the Mavs win the championship this year. They've been a good team for a long time now. And I agree, Doug, Mark Cuban has probably learned some lessons over the years and figured he'd just hang back. I actually didn't watch much basketball this past year--just didn't seem to take much time for it. Plus with all the Lebron James hoopla going on...

Obviously being in Ohio meant I heard a whole lotta complaining about that. ;) I personally think that the fans who felt betrayed by his decision should get a hobby or something, because no where does it say a star basketball player has to stay with one team. Many others have switched teams but yet don't seem to catch the flack he did. Perhaps it's because he was from the area... ???

But what I don't like is the ego and the drama from all of it.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 10:44:10 PM »

I personally think that the fans who felt betrayed by his decision should get a hobby or something, because no where does it say a star basketball player has to stay with one team. Many others have switched teams but yet don't seem to catch the flack he did. Perhaps it's because he was from the area... ???

But what I don't like is the ego and the drama from all of it.

From what I know, sports are more than a hobby for Cleveland fans.  They are the most fanatical fans in the nation, probably, and they haven't won a championship of any sort in something like decades.  So here comes LeBron (King James) and he's here to give them their championship.  He becomes their savior.  He promises them a championship before he leaves.  Perhaps it was never fair to elevate LeBron to such a level, but then he didn't have to go and make a promise he couldn't deliver on either.  That's why I think they feel such betrayal, even if it is a bit pathetic.

Even so LeBron could have taken a better road out.  He could have told them he'd done all he could but wasn't getting enough support and he wanted out.  Instead he used his free agency as an excuse to create this theatre for his ego, and that's where he lost a lot of people.  And then his teaming up with Wade I think a lot of people saw as a cop out from someone who lacked the ability to lead his own team.  The stupid predictions of "Not one, not two, not three..." championships really struck people the wrong way.  As Charles Barkley has pointed it, it was stupid of him to think it would be that easy to win championships.  Clearly talent isn't the only factor involved, it takes having more desire than your opponent.

Anyhow, that's my interpretation.  And his colossal failure in this year's finals (and the fact that he way underperformed in the first finals series when he played for Cleveland) should hopefully help Cleveland fans get over his leaving, since after all it's doubtful he ever would have delivered for them no matter had he stayed and what players they'd surrounded him with.  Losing in the finals was one thing.  But it was like he just didn't care.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 07:17:17 AM »

YES!  The Boston Bruins are the 2011 Stanley Cup Champions!!!  Can you tell I'm excited?!  I caught the fever towards the end of the regular season when the Bruins had an incredible 7-0 shutout over the Canadiens March 24 and am glad I stayed with them through the playoffs!  I'm doubly excited because now I have 2 championship babies, our 2nd will be born this August and my boy Nicholas was born in 2007, the last time the Red Sox won the World Series.  I had my doubts, as the Bruins didn't win 3 playoff games against the Canucks in Vancouver but they won the most important game of all!  What a game!  What a playoff series!  Oh yeah, I'm savoring this for a while!  8)

The Boston Globe

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:22:43 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »

From what I know, sports are more than a hobby for Cleveland fans.  They are the most fanatical fans in the nation, probably, and they haven't won a championship of any sort in something like decades.  So here comes LeBron (King James) and he's here to give them their championship.  He becomes their savior.  He promises them a championship before he leaves.  Perhaps it was never fair to elevate LeBron to such a level, but then he didn't have to go and make a promise he couldn't deliver on either.  That's why I think they feel such betrayal, even if it is a bit pathetic.

Even so LeBron could have taken a better road out.  He could have told them he'd done all he could but wasn't getting enough support and he wanted out.  Instead he used his free agency as an excuse to create this theatre for his ego, and that's where he lost a lot of people.  And then his teaming up with Wade I think a lot of people saw as a cop out from someone who lacked the ability to lead his own team.  The stupid predictions of "Not one, not two, not three..." championships really struck people the wrong way.  As Charles Barkley has pointed it, it was stupid of him to think it would be that easy to win championships.  Clearly talent isn't the only factor involved, it takes having more desire than your opponent.

Anyhow, that's my interpretation.  And his colossal failure in this year's finals (and the fact that he way underperformed in the first finals series when he played for Cleveland) should hopefully help Cleveland fans get over his leaving, since after all it's doubtful he ever would have delivered for them no matter had he stayed and what players they'd surrounded him with.  Losing in the finals was one thing.  But it was like he just didn't care.

I agree Doug. The whole area around here as been so happy with The Dallas Mavericks winning. I am still in shock.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »

I just wanna chime in here and say.... Congratulations to the Boston Bruins! Yes, I was cheering for the Canucks but when it came down to it Boston out played them. Once they won game three I knew that Boston was going to take it. They crushed the Canucks in every game they won and when they lost, they only did so by one goal. The Vancouver Canucks, the number one ranked team heading into the playoffs, simply choked. Roberto Luongo is a great goalie but he choked. The whole team did.

But I also want to say that the aftermath of that game made me embarrassed to be a Canadian. I remember riots happening in L.A. when the Lakers won the NBA championship, riots in New England when the Patriots won the Superbowl... but never did I think a Canadian city would riot, win or lose. It was absolutely disgusting as to what happened in Vancouver. I was until about 2am watching the news and seeing it all unfold. I was sending messages to my sister telling her to be careful (thankfully she was at work, away from all the crap).

Photos of the riot: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/16/photos-riots-fire-destruction-after-vancouvers-loss/

I'm glad that people have banded together to create Facebook and internet groups to name names and identify people involved. The Vancouver Police took a lot of flack for their response but I think they did a good job. They did way better then the Toronto police and related security forces at the G20 meeting last summer in Toronto. Even people are willingly turning themselves. I still feel that they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law but its nice to hear that they regret what they did and aren't cowardly enough to hide.

It was a disgusting display on what should have been a great night. Yes, Vancouver lost what would have been their first Stanely Cup championship. But it was the first time since 1994 that they had been to the finals. The was ranked number one pretty all season long. The fans should have been celebrating a tremendous season. And while most were unfortunately others had to ruin it all.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 09:01:29 PM »

Boston Bruins: Stanley Cup 2011 Champions

I just finished watching this dvd.  Nice to add to my collection of recent Boston championship dvds, The Patriots (3), The Red Sox (2) and The Celtics (1).  This one rounds out the collection nicely.  I'm doubly thrilled because my baby girl will be born this year, making me the proud papa of 2 'Boston Championship Babies', with my boy Nicholas having been born when the Red Sox won the World Series in 2007.  All of my siblings are parents of Boston Championship babies but I'm the only one that can boast having 2! 

“Eyuh.”
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T