News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Movie Discussion  (Read 58880 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2012, 05:55:21 AM »

I haven't seen any of the Bourne movies yet, but isn't The Bourne Legacy was one of the novels in the series? I just had a quick look and saw that there were other Bourne books before that one, so perhaps since Damon didn't want to come back, they decided to jump to the one without his character. ???

I saw both Total Recall and The Watch recently. I watched the original Total Recall before going to see the new one since it'd been such a long time since I'd done so. I do like the original one better. I felt that there was a chase sequence that just went on and one way too long in the remake. I won't say too much more than that.

The Watch was fun in its own sort of vulgar way. :D

I've seen Total Recall and The Bourne Legacy recently.  They were ok, but I agree in that they were forgettable.  The only thing I like about the original Recall is Schwarzenegger.  Well, ok, Sharon Stone was hot.  I love Beckinsale but unfortunately, her presence wasn't enough to save the remake.  Hahaha, they did a good job with the triple-ahem-breasted prostitute in the new version.  Jeremy Renner is a very good action star but I prefer Matt Damon in this role.  The original series was much better and Damon was more convincing.

The trailers weren't strictly action so I was holding out hope for a preview of Trouble With The Curve.  No such luck.  C'est la vie.  8)

Unfortunately, one of the highlights of Totall Recal 2012...well, 3 highlights  8)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:44:56 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2012, 02:26:13 AM »

"Rebelle" ("Brave" English title), the last Disney-Pixar : very good one, really funny ... and for once, there is no Charming Prince at all  ;) !

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »

I quite enjoyed this. It's nothing special but for an action film, it gets a pass from me. Jeremy Renner is not Matt Damon but I think many people are going into this film thinking Renner is playing Bourne but he isn't. It's a completely different character. Obviously the film makers are trying to cash in on the name but the way the story is told and Bourne is mentioned several times, I found it interesting for the two hours. A little disappointing that Joan Allen and David Strathairn's roles were so minuscule. Aussie fans will get a kick out of seeing Shane Jacobson in a small role.

3/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2012, 06:13:18 AM »

Out of the major releases the US is getting this weekend, I figured ParaNorman would probably be the most promising--I will go see The Expendables 2 soon but have never expected much from it. I enjoyed ParaNorman. I don't believe I've seen any TV spots of it and I had to look the trailer up online. It's about a kid named Norman who can see and talk to dead people. Everyone thinks he's a freak because they see him talking to no one. The town he lives in has a legend about a curse of a witch... and the curse turns out to be true. It's a fun movie with a good message to it, but I doubt I'd take really young kids to see it.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2012, 05:34:09 AM »

I saw The Expendables 2 yesterday and IT WAS GREAT!  Respectfully, I disagree about this resembling straight-to-video action movies of the 80's.  No, not even close.  Those are extremely poorly made productions and these films are anything but.  I see absolutely,  positively NOTHING wrong with Arnold Schwarzenegger poking fun at his action star image.  Judging by the audience reaction, they loved it.  It's all meant to be fun and that's EXACTLY what it was.  If you're expecting Arnold to be as he was before, then perhaps you'll be satisfied with his upcoming film, The Last Stand.  I saw a trailer for it before the movie and it looks good.  I got a great kick out of Chuck Norris in this film, too.  The audience reaction to his appearance and the theme from The Good, The Bad And The Ugly accompanying him was overwhelmingly positive.  I don't want to give anything away, but I was hoping for a little more from him but am still very happy with what he contributed.  Jean-Claude Van Damme was very convincing as the bad guy and I enjoyed seeing him again, too.  Yu Nan was a nice addition.  Always good seeing a woman kicking butt in action films.  Jet Li had some great fighting sequences and I thought the rest of the original cast was as effective this time around as the last.  It's great seeing Stallone in top form again and I'm a fan of a lot of Jason Statham's films (except for Crank 2, that was horrible).  I watched The Expendables again before going to see the sequel and wasn't tired of it at all.  These are now my all-time favorite action movies.

Eastwood and Connery are legends, icons and I for one would love to see them in the next sequel but only if their parts were written in a manner befitting their age and status.  It can be done.  As far as Eastwood directing the next sequel, sure, I'm all for it because on the whole, I can't stand what's he's been producing otherwise as a director only.  Bring in Carl Weathers as a former team member and Steven Seagal (he'd have to get in shape!) as an antagonist.  Too bad Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin aren't still with us.

*SPOILER ALERT*  Number one, this isn't a trailer but a scene from the movie.  If you'd rather wait to see the film, then return to it afterwards.  Number two, if you've seen the movie and didn't care for it, then this is not for you.  Otherwise, if you're interested, then click on and enjoy.  The scene involves Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis and Norris.  The Expendables 2 movie clip

So, as you can tell, I am extremely pleased with this film!  A true action film in every sense of the word.  I'm looking forward another sequel and especially The Tomb, another action movie starring Schwarzenegger and Stallone due out next year. ...I just hope it's not another City Heat!  :-\

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:20:15 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
rr-electricangel

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2012, 05:39:41 PM »

I saw The Expendables 2 yesterday and IT WAS GREAT!
I have to agree. I took my dad and two older brothers to see it and we laughed our asses off. If you are looking for some deep message in this movie then you are not going to be in the right state of mind to enjoy it. It is meant as entertainment. Nothing more. I don't think this is Clint Eastwood's type of movie though. He would only be in Expendables 3 as a cameo (at best) and it might not even be a shooting scene. Hey, but you never know...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:42:11 AM by rr-electricangel » Logged

Clint Eastwood's words of wisdom: "Take your profession seriously; don't take yourself seriously. Don't take yourself seriously in the process, because you really only matter to a certain degree in the whole circus out here."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2012, 06:45:22 AM »

^I've moved the above two posts here from the thread in the News forum titled "Can Clint be in front of camera soon again? In " Expendables 3 ?"

Any other reviews of The Expendables 2 can go here, as this film has nothing to do with Clint Eastwood.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »

Although The Expendables 2 had a lame (seen it so many times before) plot,some bad acting and stoopid scenes/jokes and such I still enjoyed it enormously  ;D

dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2012, 03:08:06 AM »

Expendables 2 is officially my no 1. guilty pleasure of 2012  :D

I've seen comedies this year that made me laugh less than this. It was a nice mix of classic oneliners, snappy comebacks, meta jokes (yes, Dolph Lundgren has those degrees RL) and ol' fashioned american action  ;)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2012, 09:28:26 AM »

In Expendables 2 I realize that some of the more self-referencing writing was meant to be cheesy but really fell flat for me. I would put the movie about on par with the first one--it was okay. If they make a third one, I'll be tempted to not go see it in theaters.

I saw Premium Rush last weekend and enjoyed it pretty well. That would be a crazy dangerous job even without being chased down by someone that wants the envelope you're supposed to deliver!

And then I saw Lawless yesterday. It's based on a true story and I'm really curious how close the actual story is to this one. It's about three brothers who are bootleggers in the early 1930s. After I watched the movie I saw a short blurb from Roger Ebert's review where he mentioned that it's very well made and good performances, but just doesn't seem to rise above its violence. I agree with this mostly. It struck me at times of being somewhat dull at times, but there is quite a bit of graphic violence that breaks those moments up.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »

Of the upcoming films this year I´ve mixed feeling with this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK7y8Ou0VvM

The trailer looks good but the guy is way too short for the role  ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »

Maybe SK will enjoy it ... since he's not a "big" fan of the books! ;D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »

I've watched the trailer now and I have to say ... not only does that little runt not look anything like Reacher, he doesn't sound remotely like him, either. What were they thinking? ???
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »

Yeah,I read about it  ;D Even with the midget in the lead I´ll go to see it...than again Ian Fleming was not happy with Sean connery as James bond and everything turned fine.That film series is 50 years old now  8)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:56:59 PM by Hemlock » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »

No love for Mr. Cruise? I don't know anything about the character, other than what I've read on here, but I do like Cruise alright.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »

Funny thing is, there is something about Tom Cruise, I don't know what it is but I've never been a fan of his. I've seen a few of his films, always because another actor was in it but wouldn't rush out to see anything he's in. I don't hate him but I've never liked him. I just don't know why.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »

No love for Mr. Cruise? I don't know anything about the character, other than what I've read on here, but I do like Cruise alright.

I got nothing against Tom Cruise.I like many of his films but he does not fit the describtion that author of the book series,Lee Child has given to Jack Reacher:

"Name: Jack Reacher (no middle name)
Born: October 29th
Measurements: 6'5", 220-250 lbs., 50" chest
Hair: Dirty-blond
Eyes: Ice blue!

http://www.leechild.com/reacher.php

But as said the film can be good anyways  ;)

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2012, 12:28:54 AM »

I gotta be honest.. I'm sooo looking forward to this.... It's my part of town  :)

Cockneys Vs Zombies

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »

^ should be intresting  ;D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2012, 06:45:03 PM »

Here's the trailer for the new Lincoln movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJVuqYkI2jQ I'm looking forward to it and will definitely try to catch it when it comes out here in November.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T