News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Movie Discussion  (Read 57616 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2012, 06:06:13 AM »

Berberian Sound Studio 2012

Starring Toby Jones and directed and written by Peter Strickland

An English sound engineer flies to Italy to work on what he thinks is a film about horses but ends up working
on an Italian horror film..

This is a really teriffic film, very intense and intelligent.. At first Jones character is appalled to be working on such a
movie..but after a while begins to become sucked in. As a fan of Italian 60s/70's Itallian horror cinema there is
plenty to enjoy..  I guess this film reminded me a little of Videodrome.. Gradually Jones is drawn into an alternative world thru working on this film. Jones is fantastic in the central role as someone totally out of his depth.  Theres a really strange, weird eeriness to this movie..
Brilliant  5/5

Coincidently I was in a bar in London last week and Jones walked in with some friends..I think if Id seen this movie then I would have congratulated him on it.. and on his fathers performance in Firefox

I want to see this again..!

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2012, 07:08:16 AM »

That does sound really interesting, Gant. I'll have to look out for that one.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2012, 08:17:26 AM »

It really was great Christopher.. and you wouldn't need to be a fan of Dario Argento and
Italian horror.. to really appreciate it... I just love originality in cinema and this has it..

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2012, 06:43:37 PM »

I've seen a little Argento and I definitely like Itallian horror!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2012, 12:05:39 AM »

Cabin in the Woods

Five seemingly stereotypical teenagers gather for a weekend in the woods... and then the fun starts..

What seems like the kind of horror film we've all seen a thousand times.. turns into something completely different.
Impossible to say much more without spoiling it.. But the whole thing builds up to an amazing last half hour..
Good fun and a thrill ride.. Obviously made by people who love horror films..
Entertaining and unpredictable...

Why do the characters in horror films do such dumb things... watch this and find out...  :)

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »

Fans of Wes Anderson's quirky offbeat films won't be disappointed with this. Two 12 year olds meet one summer and become pen pals. They make a secret pact to get together the following summer  and run away together.

Great cast, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Edward Norton and Harvey Keitel.

4/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »

I saw Looper today and would say it's amongst the best I've seen this year. O0
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2012, 01:43:30 AM »

I havn't seen Taken 2 (and don't plan on seein' it)

But this short tweet by English film critic Mark Kermode made me chuckle..

Coming soon.. Taken 3D. This time. they've taken his dog. He will find them, he will kill them,
and he will throw sticks at the audience

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2012, 07:32:08 AM »

^ ;D I've seen Taken a few times, and while it's not a great movie, I do enjoy it. I do plan on seeing Taken 2 here soon.

I saw Frankenweenie over the weekend. It was pretty good, though the older short film is better (it's been a long time since I've seen it though).

Taken 2, like I already mentioned, and Here Comes the Boom are two movies I want to make sure I get around to seeing (the latter is out this coming weekend). There are some others out or coming out that I'd like to see, including Seven Psychopaths.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2012, 08:21:34 AM »

I thought Taken was great fun Christopher.. but Taken 2 doesn't sound so good unfortunately..

dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »

What seems like the kind of horror film we've all seen a thousand times.. turns into something completely different.
Impossible to say much more without spoiling it.. But the whole thing builds up to an amazing last half hour..
Good fun and a thrill ride.. Obviously made by people who love horror films..
Entertaining and unpredictable...
I couldn't agree more.
Cabin in the woods is one of the most entertaining horror movies I've seen in a long time.
Part affectionate nod and  part fresh take on the horror franchise, in a way that I haven't seen since Zombieland and Trollhunter.

I thought Taken was great fun Christopher.. but Taken 2 doesn't sound so good unfortunately..
And that rumor is right. Taken 2 lacks the punch (pun not intended) and excitement, that made the first one such a great action movie, with a franchise potential on par with the Die Hard franchise.
This is just another run of the mill bad-guy-wants-revenge movie, and Liam Neesons steely gaze is now fixed entirely on the paycheck at the end of the movie... 

On a side note...
Speaking of Die Hard...
Die Hard 4; A good day to die harder *groan*
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/a-good-day-to-die-hard/teaser-trailer
While it's technically a 2013 movie, I thought I'd post the teaser here.
I'm kinda "meh" on this one at the moment, but at least it looks more pumped up than the last one...

Instead of watching Taken 2, I'd recommend Judge Dredd 3D instead.

I seem to have taken a liking to movies that bomb at the box office this year.
First John Carter, and now this...  ::)

As a long time Judge Dredd fan I had some high hopes for this one to at least surpass the 95 Stallone version, and boy does it deliver on that point.
Megacity One is shown (as it should be) as a brutal police state, barely able to support itself, on the edge of total anarchy and chaos, set in a dystopian future.
This gritty society still has enough recogniceable features to deliver the same kind of social comments and political satire that the Judge Dredd comic eventually became well known for during the mid 90ies though, and that shows a remarkable respect to the source material, while still delivering on the action.     
Judge Dredd is not the brightly coloured superhero type seen in the Stallone movie, but here shown  more as a Dirty Harry type character, following a uncaring law to the letter, with Karl Urban delivering an excellent portrayal of the character.
The 3D effects are quite good, and works well when you see the world through the eyes of the users of a new drug called slo-mo, a drug that gives the brain the illusion of watching the world passs by at 1/100 % of real time.
When these visuals are showing, the 3D effects easily surpass those of say, Tron; Legacy, and I didn't feel cheated by having to shell out the extra money for the 3D glasses.

The plot is pretty simple; The rookie Judge Anderson is born with a minor mutation that gives her limited psychic abilities, and is put out on a field test, supervised by Judge Dredd.
When a gang related triple homocide is called in at one of the bleak massive social  housings, (called a city block) Dredd and Anderson takes on the investigation only to find out that the block may be the housing for the production of the new slo-mo drug.
MaMa, the ringleader of the slo mo production, quickly steps in and have the entire block sealed off via a hacked security network before the two judges can leave, and a brutal battle for survival takes place as the stakes keeps getting raised, as the two judges begin to run out of options and ammunition.
The movie has been videly and wrongly accused for ripping of another Lionsgate movie called The Raid; Redemption (which would also be a nicer alternative to taken 2, btw.  ;) ) but in all fairness, the production of Dredd had been going on for some time before the production of The Raid had even started.   

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2012, 07:21:48 PM »

The new Die Hard movie set to come out is actually the fifth film in the series, which you may have just mis-typed.
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

Oops. Yes, that was a typo

(though I don't think the world would miss Die Hard 4.0 that much  ;)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »

Woody Allen's latest was a hit and miss for me. Great to see Woody onscreen again and his character's part of the film was the most enjoyable for me. As was the storyline concerning Roberto Benigni's character but the Jesse Eisenberg and the Penelope Cruz character's storylines left me wanting more Woody.

2.5/5
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:33:34 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »

I saw "Argo." I think it's been overhyped, but it was definitely worth seeing. Affleck did a good job of taking a historical fact-based story and making in thrilling and relevant. That's not an easy thing to do. Ben Affleck is a very competent director who makes very interesting choices. All 3 movies that he has directed have been good. I see him and George Clooney as the actor-directors of the future who have potential to be in the Eastwood mold.

I also saw "Cloud Atlas." I have really never seen a movie like it before. It was visually and thematically interesting, but it was close to three hours, and the story made little to no sense. I don't really know if I'd recommend it or not, because there was so much about it that is so unique that I'm not sure whether it was a hot mess or something worthwhile. It is definitely one of a kind.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2012, 06:33:12 AM »

What I've seen over the last month or so...

The Hunger Games.  Did not like it.  Really didn't like it.  The girl is certainly nice to look at, if that counts for anything.  C

The Cabin in the Woods, which I did like a lot.  I'm not sure why, but it was fun.  B+ 

Prometheus was fantastic visually.  The writing...was horrible.  The movie seemed to have a checklist of things to cover, and no one involved cared how stupid the characters came across or how illogical the plot, just so they could cross off everything they wanted to cover.  B-

I saw Moonrise Kingdom for the second time, and it just comes across as too much Wes Anderson fluff to really love it.  I do like his movies, but his quirks are getting old for this fan.  I'd give it a B.

Seven Psychopaths.  At times brilliant, and at other times just too caught up in its own cleverness.  Sam Rockwell is great in it, though.  B+

Looper.  I enjoyed it a lot, even if it for me seemed much longer than its two hours.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis are great in this.  Still hate the title, but whatever.  B+

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2012, 04:51:50 PM »

Skyfall is quite good film but it doesn`t feel like James Bond-film at times.Daniel Craig is once again excellent as is rest of the cast but the story is mainly a simple revenge-story and I kind of wanted to see"old school"Bond-film.
But as said the film is good,sometimes even great but they should lighten the atmosphere a bit in the future films...not meaning that I`d like to see another Moonraker or Die another Day.
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2012, 04:16:19 AM »

Skyfall is quite good film but it doesn`t feel like James Bond-film at times.Daniel Craig is once again excellent as is rest of the cast but the story is mainly a simple revenge-story and I kind of wanted to see"old school"Bond-film.
But as said the film is good,sometimes even great but they should lighten the atmosphere a bit in the future films...not meaning that I`d like to see another Moonraker or Die another Day.

Agreed. Skyfall is a very good movie and I enjoyed it a lot but, despite the references to past films, it didn't feel like Bond. The last Mission Impossible film was more like Bond than this latest outing. Craig's a great actor but he's not my idea of Bond, more like a Steve McQueen waxwork that's started to melt  ;D
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2012, 11:18:53 PM »

I enjoyed it but thought it was overlong. Maybe if there hadn't been 30 minutes of advertisments and trailers before the film it wouldn't have felt so drawn out.

3/5.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2012, 12:17:03 AM »

I enjoyed Skyfall but agree that despite all the references it didnt quite feel like a Bond movie... Very obviously put together
to celebrate the 50 year anniversary, tick all the boxes and get the franchise back on track ... I do think Craig is excellent tho.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T