News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU ending  (Read 11198 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« on: May 13, 2003, 11:57:27 PM »

Most of us have seen the movie recently, so I was wondering: I know it makes for good cinema, but besides that why does Blondie hang up Tuco at the end of the movie.  Just to get the better of him, or teach him a lesson?  Or is he really just a dirty SOB?  He doesn't have anything to fear from Tuco now, does he?  It seems to me he's just being sadistic.  We shouldn't feel too bad for Tuco, but still I always kind of feel bad for him.   I wonder what becomes of him...

I'm sure others noticed Blondie's horse just sort of materializes, all saddled and ready to go.  Unless there's a time lapse I'm not aware of.  I suppose he fetches the horse while Tuco is digging.  But then he does an awful lot while Tuco is digging up the grave.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 12:02:52 AM »

That's a good question, Doug.  My take on it is that Blondie doesn't trust Tuco and wanted to get some distance from him.   By the time Tuco gets up and gets the gold, Blondie's already long gone.  If he hadn't done it that way, they would have been loading their horses at the same time.

And maybe he also did it for old time's sake. :)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 12:52:22 AM »

I'm sure others noticed Blondie's horse just sort of materializes, all saddled and ready to go.  Unless there's a time lapse I'm not aware of.  I suppose he fetches the horse while Tuco is digging.  But then he does an awful lot while Tuco is digging up the grave.

I just always assumed the horse was Angel Eyes's. I always assumed Angel Eyes rode up on it and Blondie, seeing how Angel Eyes no longer had a use for it, decided to take it.

As for the Tuco thing, I can agree with Matt that maybe he wanted to put some distance between himself and Tuco. Or maybe say something like "Tuco, we're done. We are even now, so I'll stay away from you, and you stay away from me."
Meridico

"The name on the grave is Arch Stanton."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 08:18:28 PM »

I think he was saying to him, "I could have killed you too, but I'm a decent guy so we stick to the original deal and you get half the gold.  DON'T get greedy and think you'll have mine too."  

That's the message that was symbolicly sent to me by that awesome finale.  

By the way, I missed AMC's showing of it on the 10th, any idea when the next showing is going to be of the version with the restored footage?
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 09:24:50 PM »

This is off of AMC's site:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Fri., May 16 at 5:05 PM / EST

Sun., May 18 at 9:55 PM / EST

Wed., May 28 at 8:00 PM / EST

Thu., May 29 at 12:50 AM / EST

You'll have commercials and it won't be widescreen, I understand.

nigtwing wrote:
As for the Tuco thing, I can agree with Matt that maybe he wanted to put some distance between himself and Tuco. Or maybe say something like "Tuco, we're done. We are even now, so I'll stay away from you, and you stay away from me."

My only problem with that theory is that is shows a bit of fear on the part of Blondie.  I'm leaning toward the theory that he's just having fun with him, making him earn all that money -- as he tells Tuco and Angel Eyes before the showdown.  He let Tuco off the hook there -- he could have just killed him there -- so now he's making him earn his reward.   I'm thinking that's my take on it.  And he's confident enough to know he'll handle Tuco just fine should they cross paths again, and Tuco wants a little payback.  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 10:00:20 PM »

Not to take the easy way out, but I think it could be any or all of the reasons we talked about here.  Now, I don't think Blondie's afraid of Tuco, but he knows Tuco doesn't have the highest moral code... he knows he'd shoot him in the back for the gold if he had the opportunity.  And let's not forget that Blondie DID empty Tuco's pistol at some time the night before they got to the graveyard so he's obviously cautious of him.  Blondie's crafty and cunning and this is him outsmarting Tuco.  He gets away from him with his share of the gold and their partnership is finally over.

And I think he was having a bit of fun with him too.  ;D
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 10:13:10 PM »

I lean toward the idea that he's making Tuco earn his share.  Shall we start another three page debate? LOL :D ;D :)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 10:23:12 PM »

And away we go!   ;D

Tuco earned his share of the gold... he had it pretty rough most of the time.  (That scene of Mario Brega pressing down on Tuco's eyes with his thumbs is one of very few scenes that actually makes me squirm when I watch it.)  

He went through it all with Blondie, helped blow up the bridge, found the grave, dug up the grave... Blondie had it a lot easier.  

I've found myself wondering why Blondie fired the canon at Tuco... just to knock him headfirst into the graveyard?  Maybe he just likes messing with him.  :)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2003, 10:38:06 PM »

I lean toward the idea that he's making Tuco earn his share.  Shall we start another three page debate? LOL :D ;D :)

And away we go!   ;D

Oh no. Here we go again.  ::) :P
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 11:05:02 PM »

And away we go!   ;D

Tuco earned his share of the gold... he had it pretty rough most of the time.  (That scene of Mario Brega pressing down on Tuco's eyes with his thumbs is one of very few scenes that actually makes me squirm when I watch it.)  
Yeah, that makes me squirm too.  But Blondie has to deal with the desert with Tuco gleefully wathcing the life drain away from Blondie.  I have a book here that details what happens during severe dehydration -- and it ain't a pretty process.  Tuco also tries to hang him.

Tuco goes through a lot in the movie, but he's a scoundrel and a "rat."  Blondie's smart enough that he'd never be lacking in money in the wild west, but Tuco ... well, Tuco is mostly small time, and for him to walk away with $100,000 ...he's going to have to earn it.  One more time.  He clearly wants the money more than Blondie, which puts Blondie at an advantage.  And he takes advantage of that.  

He went through it all with Blondie, helped blow up the bridge, found the grave, dug up the grave... Blondie had it a lot easier.  

I will note that when they share their half of the secret, Tuco squirms quite a bit, but is honest (which I'm thinking is a novel idea for Tuco)....whereas Blondie isn't completely honest in revealing his part of the secret.  But then this is his insurance that neither Tuco nor Angel Eyes will profit if he's double-crossed, while he does not intend to double-cross Tuco, as the ending shows.  

I've found myself wondering why Blondie fired the canon at Tuco... just to knock him headfirst into the graveyard?  Maybe he just likes messing with him.  :)

Yeah, I wonder about that too.  There is clearly a sadistic side to Blondie -- at least with regards to Tuco.  Maybe there's some subtle, underlining subtext we're all missing... :o

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2003, 11:09:10 PM »

You know, I do think Blondie comes to respect Tuco as the movie progresses.  He is okay at the beginning casually throwing away Tuco's life by leaving him in the desert, but by the end, after all they've been through together, he has come to respect and like Tuco -- at least a little.  As he does let Tuco live, and ultimately to keep his share.  But he never forgets Tuco basic nature.  Tuco, I believe, has come to genuinely like Blondie, too, but he'd still kill Blondie in a moment if he had the least bit to gain by doing so.  

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2003, 11:39:12 PM »

I thought things started to shift in their relationship after Blondie witnessed the scene at the Mission between Tuco and his brother.  When Tuco told Blondie how good it was to have a brother who was crazy about him, and would always give him a place to stay and bowl of soup... Blondie knows the real story, but sympathetically offers him his cigar, saying (not exact) "It's always nice to have a good cigar after a meal."  

And there's definitely some camaraderie between them when they're taking out Angel Eyes's gang.  

... but by the end, after all they've been through together, he has come to respect and like Tuco -- at least a little.

Definitely.  I see that too.  

So does Blondie enjoy messing with Tuco because he's still harboring some resentment from the desert and the attempted hanging?  Maybe, I've thought about that too.  Though more than anything, I think he puts the noose around Tuco's neck in the last scene out of a lack of trust, knowing how much of a cutthroat Tuco is, and as you said:

... he'd still kill Blondie in a moment if he had the least bit to gain by doing so.

Anyone else have an opinion?  
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2003, 11:45:44 PM »

Although, the more I think about it, even though I don't think he trusts Tuco, I think the whole thing is sort of a game to Blondie.  Blondie won round one when he set Tuco in the desert.  Tuco won round two... and Blondie wanted to come out the victor in the end, showing Tuco who was "The Man".  ;D
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 01:15:37 PM »

I can agree with Matts 'game theory'. It sounds reasonable.

It could've been a scare tactic as well. he wanted to scare Tuco into thinking that Blondie is not someone you should mess with and to show Tuco what he can do when he gets the upper hand. It sticks with the Man with No Name character and shooting him down, may have just been a sign that he does sort of like Tuco and sort of respects him enough to let him live.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 03:14:09 PM »

I think Blondie hangs Tuco up like that because Tuco was going to hang Blondie once before. Not to mention Tuco was going to kill Blondie out in the desert as well.

I think it's interesting that Blondie takes the bullets out of Tuco's gun the night before. That could be looked at in several different ways. One, Blondie didn't want to have to kill Tuco, because maybe he started liking him and that's also why he shoots him down from the noose at the end of it. Two, Blondie wasn't sure if he would have been able to take care of both Tuco and Angel Eyes. Blondie knows both men are dangerous, and one against one is a lot better than one against two. Not to mention the fact that Tuco has always presented himself as a very bad guy. And, considering all the charges he's up for, it's easy to tell he was a bad guy. But my favorite line from the entire movie is Tuco's. After Blondie tells him that if they cut down on his percentage, it's liable to enterfere with his aim. And Tuco's response:
But if you miss you had better miss very well. Whoever double-crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco.
(Man, I love that line)
Even though Blondie does double-cross Tuco, he soon finds out that Tuco was speaking the truth.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 03:15:54 PM by Christopher » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2003, 03:19:52 PM »

Blondie wasn't sure if he would have been able to take care of both Tuco and Angel Eyes. Blondie knows both men are dangerous, and one against one is a lot better than one against two.

Except that Angel Eyes was nowhere around the night before, and by the look of surprise on Blondie's face when h e showed up at the graveyard, he wasn't expecting him either.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2003, 03:22:35 PM »

He may have looked surprised, but certainly Blondie expected Angel Eyes to come around sometime. Angel Eyes doesn't seem like the type who would just let that much money out from under his eyes. Afterall, he knew what cemetary it was.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2003, 04:35:22 PM »

That's true.  And Blondie's the type to always be one step ahead of everyone else.

Taking this a little off-topic, since we're talking about the three characters and their relationships... does anyone else get a little bit of a rush when Angel Eyes and Blondie team up?  When Angel Eyes said (again, loosely quoted) "The rules haven't changed, but your partner has."  There's just this moment between them that was reminiscent of the great chemistry they shared in For a Few Dollars More... a little smile between them, and since I'm such a fan of that film, I loved that... even though we know Angel Eyes is "the Bad" this time, and isn't going to be around long.
BDR529

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 02:11:25 AM »

That's true.  And Blondie's the type to always be one step ahead of everyone else.

Taking this a little off-topic, since we're talking about the three characters and their relationships... does anyone else get a little bit of a rush when Angel Eyes and Blondie team up?  When Angel Eyes said (again, loosely quoted) "The rules haven't changed, but your partner has."  There's just this moment between them that was reminiscent of the great chemistry they shared in For a Few Dollars More... a little smile between them, and since I'm such a fan of that film, I loved that... even though we know Angel Eyes is "the Bad" this time, and isn't going to be around long.

Oh, definitely, the first time I saw it and almost every time since.  After all Blondie and Angel Eyes are the only two who are even close to being equals--Tuco is definitely less smart and clever than both of them, and both of them know it.  I actually get a little disappointed sometimes when they don't turn out working with each other longer.  Their chemistry really is great, and Angel Eyes is much closer (IMO) in character to Blondie than Mortimer was to Manco, even though he's all evil and whatnot.

And of course the same reason it gives that "rush" is the same reason they DON'T work together--Blondie knows Tuco is less clever and more easily manipulated, and he knows Angel Eyes would double-cross him.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T