News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood and Aronofsky, Live at Tribeca  (Read 15801 times)
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 03:20:55 AM »

Thanks for the video link, AKA O0

KC and AKA, looks like you had a fantastic time, well done guys! :)

The interview was a real joy to see, very interesting regarding the art of Clint's filmmaking. O0

Loved the question of whether Clint is working "in digital" these days. Most films are now done this way, Arri Alexa, Red Epic MX, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and so on. I was surprised to hear Clint is still working with film.

JSE

Don't just do something, stand there...

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 04:19:10 AM »

I agree it really was a relaxed and enjoyable interview to watch. We don't often get to hear Clint talk from a technical perspective about his movies and directing in general as most interviewers just want to know 'What was it like working with an Orangutan?' or 'Will you do another Dirty Harry?' Clint's still got it at 82, gives us all hope!

Thanks AKA and KC for putting the link up, I was hoping they would make it available. Did you both happen to get good seats and what did you think of Richard Schickel's Eastwood Directs: the Untold Story?

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 04:25:30 AM »

"Eastwood says he'd love to be directing at age 105"

Clint Eastwood may be 82 years old, but he dreams of making films for two more decades.

In a wide-ranging conversation Saturday about the art of film directing, Eastwood expressed admiration for the 104-year-old Portuguese director Manoel de Oliveira.

"It would be great to be 105 and still making films," Eastwood said. Chuckling, he called such a hope "the ultimate optimism."

http://www.kpic.com/news/entertainment/205029681.html

That would be something.  :)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 06:31:12 AM »

I was at this too. I think I even saw KC walking by! I went with one of my closest friends to this. We've been friends since middle school so it was nice to share in this experience with him, even though he's not as big of an Eastwood fan as I am. I made him stand in line for two hours so that we could get good seats!! We ended up being able to sit in the front row right in the center! It was great! I could really see Clint well, and he looked great. I thought his outfit was one of the nicest things I've ever seen him wear too.

I had the biggest smile across my face when the documentary started, and when he started to come out. I too enjoyed the documentary, but I think since I know so many of these stories already, it's not as exciting for me as it might be for others who are not as familiar with Eastwood's career as I am. I also would have liked the documentary to have covered a little bit more new ground, as these documentaries on Eastwood's career all seem to discuss the same things and recount the same stories over and over. I'd like to see one that delves a little bit deeper than these do. I still enjoyed it though. It was nice to see some commentary from other well-known filmmakers like Spielberg and Scorsese. I had no idea that Scorsese was such a big Eastwood fan. That was pretty interesting to me. What were your thoughts on the documentary KC? 

To be honest I was a bit star struck during Clint's talk, so I came away from it feeling as if Aranofsky was not that great of an interviewer, and seemed to kind of lazily ask his questions. He wasn't very probing, and the questions he selected seemed kind of random and not particularly well thought out to me. My friend felt the same way. When I watched it again online, I actually enjoyed it a lot more the second time. What did everyone else think of Aranofsky's interview?

I couldn't believe that Aranofsky didn't ask Eastwood what he was doing next. That would have definitely been a question that I would have asked. It didn't seem to me like Aranofsky was especially familiar with Eastwood's career. He had more of a laid back casual style. His interview didn't really delve into the complexity that I think it could have, but it was still enjoyable.

Like KC, I did really enjoy hearing Clint's views on technology's use in film and the pros and cons of film and digital, and why he still likes film better. I also thought Clint had a really great sense of humor and an ease and affability that was very attractive. At one point, he brought up the Portuguese director he's referenced before that was still directing at 105, and he mused that that was everybody's dream, to still be working at 105. I don't think that is everybody's dream, as a lot of actors and filmmakers are retiring, but it was clear that it was Eastwood's dream, which was nice to hear. When Aranofsky mentioned that he hoped that Eastwood would still be directing at 105, Eastwood remarked that "that would be the ultimate optimism." I thought that was really funny. He also had a great line when recounting how, like his mentor Don Siegel, he would often steal suggestions from anyone in the production that had them if they were good. He remarked that "you have to have a criminal mentality to be a film director." Overall, I found the whole experience to be enjoyable.

Since I was so close to him, and this is the second event that I've been to with him, it was a bit disappointing that I still haven't gotten to meet him :( There was a large gap between the stage and the front row, so there was no opportunity at all to say hi or ask for a picture! Hopefully one day I'll finally be able to realize my dream of meeting my favorite actor and director of all time. The fact that I did have a chance to do that was a bit disappointing, but overall, I have to say this was a pretty good experience! :)   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:34:38 AM by AKA23 » Logged
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 12:09:46 PM »

KC and AKA23, thanks.  O0
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »

Very enjoyable interview! And it was nice to hear Eastwood talk about more of the technical aspects of filmmaking!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »

Thanks for posting this... I just watched the whole thing and thought it was fantastic...
Eastwood looks and sounds amazing... I liked the relaxed feel of the interview... Excellent stuff...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

Thanks for the reports guys. Very jealous that you were there. I'll check out the video.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 04:52:51 PM »

I watched the interview this afternoon.
Is it me or did Aronofsky look slightly star struck? ;D

The new Richard Schickel documentary is excellent, with a lot of interview footage with actors and others who have worked with Clint, along with some of his friends in the business (Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese).
According to IMDb it will be released on DVD in June. Can't wait!

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »

Definitely star struck. Wouldn't we all be?  ;D  Talking to your hero about movie making must be so rewarding.
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »

I watched the interview this afternoon.
According to IMDb it will be released on DVD in June. Can't wait!

FYI: Most of the information on IMDb regarding this documentary is from a Home Media Magazine article.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/warner/clint-eastwood-doc-premiere-tribeca-air-tcm-30001

Liz Radley who is credited as an additional cinematographer has worked on 19 projection in which Clint Eastwood has been involved.
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?roles=nm0000142,nm0004279
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:49:38 AM by Dan Dassow » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 10:59:35 AM »

Not that this is especially important, but isn't it still rude to wear hats indoors, as Aranofsky did, and since when did black and brown go together in an outfit?  ;)
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »

" Eastwood Directs: The Untold Story: Tribeca Review "

by John DeFore

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/eastwood-directs-untold-story-tribeca-449221

Richard Schickel offers a new installment in his decades-long look at Clint Eastwood.

NEW YORK — Continuing his long project documenting one of modern Hollywood's most attention-worthy careers, Richard Schickel seeks and finds insights in Eastwood Directs: The Untold Story. The hour-long film may always hew to the aesthetic of made-for-video showbiz docs -- particularly in its cram-it-all-in-there pace and its uncertain, industrial-film-like music cues -- but its director elicits much more than the unspecific praise such films usually contain. Fans will be glad to have it.

Schickel, having interviewed Eastwood so many times over the years, lets others do most of the speaking here. But when he does have something to ask, the director is forthcoming, genial and modest. What else would you expect from a man who waits in the craft-services line at lunch just like the grips do?

Production Companies: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Lorac Productions
Director-Screenwriter-Producer: Richard Schickel
Director of photography: Kris Denton
Editor: Faith Ginsberg
No rating, 61 minutes

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 09:08:42 PM »

TCM's article on Eastwood Directs: The Untold Story (link)

... The 65-minute documentary from longtime film critic, film historian, documentary filmmaker, and Eastwood biographer Richard Schickel plays like a companion piece to his 2010 documentary The Eastwood Factor. Where that earlier production profiles Eastwood the actor and icon, Eastwood Directs focuses on his legacy as the director of over thirty films, with special attention paid to a few of his greatest and most important accomplishments: his directorial debut on Play Misty for Me (1971), the films that earned Eastwood his Oscars® for Best Director and Best Picture, Unforgiven (1992) and Million Dollar Baby (2004), his ambitious biographical portrait of J. Edgar (2011).  ...
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »

I was happy to see Joel Cox given a lot of time to talk about his collaboration with Clint Eastwood. I was hoping that Tom Stern would be interviewed, rather than simply mentioned.

People interviewed:
Kevin Bacon, John Calley, Kevin Costner, Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Bill Gerber, Brian Grazer, Gene Hackman, Paul Haggis, John Lee Hancock, Marcia Gay Harden, Hal Holbrook, Joel Cox, Tommy Lee Jones, David Webb Peoples, Tim Robbins, Reni Santoni, Martin Scorsesee, Don Siegel, Steven Spielberg, Meryl Streep, Hilary Swank, Buddy Van Horn and David White.

Films specifically mentioned:
The Bridges of Madison County
Changeling
Coogan's Bluff
Dirty Harry
Flags of our Fathers
Gran Torino
Invictus
J. Edgar
Million Dollar Baby
Mystic River
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Play Misty for Me
The Unforgiven
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »

Thanks for the link antonis, I watched it straight away.

I enjoyed it, not too many new insights but it made an hour seem to pass pretty quick.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 01:59:20 PM »

I watched it this evening : an hour so nice and full of great people talking about Mr Eastwood and his work : great ! Thanks antonis  :)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »

Thanks for the link antonis, I watched it straight away.

I enjoyed it, not too many new insights but it made an hour seem to pass pretty quick.

Thanks for the link, Antonis! It was nice to hear some feedback from those who I haven't heard comment on Eastwood's career before. Both those actors who he's worked with, like Hilary Swank, Kevin Costner, and Kevin Bacon, and those filmmakers he has not, like Martin Scorsese. At the same time, I can't help but feel disappointed that Mr. Schickel seems to be content with sleep walking his way through these documentaries. It's like everything is on auto-pilot.  I would think that since he has built a cottage industry off of making these documentaries, that he would want to bring something fresh and new to this one, and would have digged a little deeper to contribute something more meaningful. Instead,  Mr. Shickel seems to be content to make the same documentary over and over.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:24:19 AM by AKA23 » Logged
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »

At the same time, I can't help but feel disappointed that Mr. Schickel seems to be content with sleep walking his way through these documentaries. It's like everything is on auto-pilot.  I would think that since he has built a cottage industry off of making these documentaries, that he would want to bring something fresh and new to this one, and would have digged a little deeper to contribute something more meaningful. Instead,  Mr. Shickel seems to be content to make the same documentary over and over.

My thoughts exactly.Nothing new.Guess I'll buy it for my collection,though.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T