News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jersey Boys: Production Information and News  (Read 78802 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Eastwood plans to delay making "A Star is Born," and intends to make a film adaptation of Broadway musical "Jersey Boys" his next project. He is in talks to direct, and hasn't yet formally signed on, so things could change, but I can't think of a project I'd like to see less than yet another musical adaptation from Eastwood. At this rate, Eastwood will be dead before he makes another movie that I'm actually interested in seeing :( After "Jersey Boys," he intends to make "A Star is Born," so if this comes to fruition, that will be two musicals in a row for Eastwood :( I am really sad about this. If this ends up happening, I might just have to find myself a new favorite filmmaker to watch :( I hope that others are more excited to hear this news. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/will-clint-eastwood-direct-jersey-430385
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:08:39 PM by AKA23 » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »

I know that I am likely overreacting to this news, but I am just really disappointed to hear about this project. Eastwood is the only filmmaker whose films I really passionately care about seeing, and him potentially being involved in two musicals in a row is just really disappointing news to me :(
JSE

Don't just do something, stand there...

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »

I don't know,  I wouldn't mind seeing what Clint's take on a musical would be like.  I'm happy to go along for the ride, sure I'd love to see Clint in a final western but I think he's earned the right to tackle any genre or subject matter.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »

Anything Clint thinks is worth doing, will be worth watching. One time, at least.

Here is a quote from the Hollywood Reporter story that AKA linked to, above:

With a planned remake of A Star Is Born stymied by casting issues, Clint Eastwood is close to moving his attention to his next project. And another music-based project might be his choice.

Word has spread around Hollywood that the legendary filmmaker has set his sights on an adaptation of the hit Broadway musical Jersey Boys. Multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter  that Eastwood is in talks with production entity GK Films and Warner Bros. to take on the high-profile project, though neither the studio nor the production company or Eastwood's reps would confirm the negotiations.

Based on the mega-hit Tony-winning musical, the story chronicles the rise of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons and the group's eventual breakup.

Jon Favreau (Iron Man) had been attached to direct the big-screen adaptation, which originally was set up at Columbia Pictures. Producer Graham King moved the project to Warner Bros. in September after he inked a first-look deal with the studio. But six weeks later, Warners put Jersey Boys in turnaround.

Sources say there were some conversations with Fox, but now that Eastwood is in the picture, the project could be heading back to Warners.

A lot of "mights" and "could bes" and "sources say" in that story. I wouldn't start worrying about it just yet.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 06:36:31 AM »

I just want him back working... testing himself and keeping busy...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 07:20:11 AM »

I just want him back working... testing himself and keeping busy...

KC, I think this is a credible story, since "A Star Is Born" is moving at a glacial pace, so it is completely believable that Eastwood is looking to move on to another project.

Gant, I don't know. I feel like I'd rather see Eastwood retire than do projects that have little to no appeal just for the sake of "keeping busy." Neither of these projects sound like something I'd want to see Eastwood doing. Ever since I became an Eastwood fan when I was 9 years old in 1993, every one of Eastwood's projects have at least sounded like they had potential. Even movies that turned out to be not much better than mediocre, like "Invictus," "J. Edgar" and "Hereafter," seemed to have within them some measure of promise. With both "A Star is Born," and now this additional musical project, I just don't see that potential anymore. There's nothing in Eastwood's background that suggests that he would be good at directing this project. He's not well versed in rock and roll. His passion is jazz, and the only musical project he's ever been involved in, "Paint Your Wagon," was a disaster. With these two new projects, Eastwood will be 85 or 86 before he is done, and will likely have very few, if any, films left to do. Does anyone here really want to see him end his career like this?
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 07:38:20 AM »

I don't know,  I wouldn't mind seeing what Clint's take on a musical would be like.  I'm happy to go along for the ride, sure I'd love to see Clint in a final western but I think he's earned the right to tackle any genre or subject matter.

Me too! I think Clint would do a superb job doing this jukebox musical.  :)

Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 07:44:04 AM »

KC, I think this is a credible story, since "A Star Is Born" is moving at a glacial pace, so it is completely believable that Eastwood is looking to move on to another project.

Gant, I don't know. I feel like I'd rather see Eastwood retire than do projects that have little to no appeal just for the sake of "keeping busy." Neither of these projects sound like something I'd want to see Eastwood doing. Ever since I became an Eastwood fan when I was 9 years old in 1993, every one of Eastwood's projects have at least sounded like they had potential. Even movies that turned out to be not much better than mediocre, like "Invictus," "J. Edgar" and "Hereafter," seemed to have within them some measure of promise. With both "A Star is Born," and now this additional musical project, I just don't see that potential anymore. There's nothing in Eastwood's background that suggests that he would be good at directing this project. He's not well versed in rock and roll. His passion is jazz, and the only musical project he's ever been involved in, "Paint Your Wagon," was a disaster. With these two new projects, Eastwood will be 85 or 86 before he is done, and will likely have very few, if any, films left to do. Does anyone here really want to see him end his career like this?

A small scenario for this afternoon ...
I imagine Mr Eastwood, quietly at home, on that Easter week-end ... He is at his desk, a cup of coffee near him, listerning to a cd, he had a good meal with Friends and Family, he is thinking about his new projects ... From his window, he can see the Ocean, not so far, and feel the warm and cool air of California ... He suddenly says to himself : "Well, let's see what the Members of the Clint Eastwood Forums are doing, are thinking, are talking about ?" ... and he reads what you said, and among your lines these cruel words : "retire/mediocre/disaster"...

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 08:02:44 AM »

A small scenario for this afternoon ...
I imagine Mr Eastwood, quietly at home, on that Easter week-end ... He is at his desk, a cup of coffee near him, listerning to a cd, he had a good meal with Friends and Family, he is thinking about his new projects ... From his window, he can see the Ocean, not so far, and feel the warm and cool air of California ... He suddenly says to himself : "Well, let's see what the Members of the Clint Eastwood Forums are doing, are thinking, are talking about ?" ... and he reads what you said, and among your lines these cruel words : "retire/mediocre/disaster"...

This is amusing, but I'm nowhere near arrogant enough to believe that comments like mine, which Eastwood likely will not even read, would be enough to crush Eastwood's very healthy ego. I call it like I see 'em. I always have and I always will.

When I read your scenario, another scene came to mind for me, and it goes like this:

"I'm not gonna apologize for who I am, and I'm not gonna be made to feel like I've done something wrong here." ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:04:26 AM by AKA23 » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 08:44:17 AM »

The only thing I really wouldn't want to see him get involved with now would be a zombie musical.
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 09:15:13 AM »

The only thing I really wouldn't want to see him get involved with now would be a zombie musical.

Even that could be fun if Mr. Eastwood incorporated the iconic elements of Paint Your Wagon (1969), Every Which Way But Loose (1978), Dirty Harry (1971), The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966), Bronco Billy (1980) and Francis in the Navy (1955) using a farcical frame such as The Producers (1968).
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »

:) ;D

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 09:51:05 AM »

So you honestly have no standards for the type of film that you'd like to see Eastwood make? Any film he makes, no no matter what the subject of it, is just fine for you. I just don't think that point of view makes sense.
JSE

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 10:02:21 AM »

I don't think it's about having standards so much as not disliking certain genres.  I like watching all types of films made by many different directors. I gave Les Miserables a shot, had no preconceived notions about what it was going to be like and found that I enjoyed it.  Same with every Clint picture,  I don't think about or read too much about the film before I see it so I can see it with fresh eyes the day it comes out.

I'm glad Clint keeps trying to try different things. it would be pretty dull having just 30 cop films and 30 westerns to look back on.
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »

KC, a Zombie Musical? :o :D ;D

Just think of the soundtrack!! ??? (I Just) Died in Your Arms by Cutting Crew, I Ain't Got Nobody by the Mills Brothers or what about prince singing Purple Brain? :D ;D
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »

Just think of the soundtrack!! ??? (I Just) Died in Your Arms by Cutting Crew, I Ain't Got Nobody by the Mills Brothers or what about prince singing Purple Brain? :D ;D

^^^^

:2funny:
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »

Or this:

Back to back, belly to belly
I dont give a damn, I done dead already
Oho back to back, belly to belly
At the Zombie Jamboree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdRI2Y8fGcI

(A song that's familiar to all Yankee fans, because their radio announcer quotes it every time two Yankees in a row hit a home run: "Back to back and a belly to belly!")
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »

You guys are proving my point with this conversation. Nobody is excited about this project or thinks this is all that good an idea. If all of you were, you would be talking about all the potential it had and how you want to see it, not engaging in random comments about zombie soundtracks ;)
JSE

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 12:47:15 AM »

I'm guessing here but I think they were joking.

If you don't want to see it you can just ignore the entire thing but please don't try and convince us all that we, deep down, have no interest in it either. Like,  so many negative waves...

It's gonna be great,  Clint is going to get a good script, cast some interesting actors and direct another film that further expands people's preconceived notions about him as a film- maker and we're gonna be right there with him baby...

Like, so many positive waves,  how can we lose?
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 01:47:15 AM »

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdRI2Y8fGcI

(A song that's familiar to all Yankee fans, because their radio announcer quotes it every time two Yankees in a row hit a home run: "Back to back and a belly to belly!")

;D

KC, do Zombies also do the Harlem Shuffle in New York? :D  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T