News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jersey Boys: Production Information and News  (Read 77365 times)
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 01:53:33 AM »

I'm guessing here but I think they were joking.

If you don't want to see it you can just ignore the entire thing but please don't try and convince us all that we, deep down, have no interest in it either. Like,  so many negative waves...

It's gonna be great,  Clint is going to get a good script, cast some interesting actors and direct another film that further expands people's preconceived notions about him as a film- maker and we're gonna be right there with him baby...

Like, so many positive waves,  how can we lose?

;D  ;D

We were just joking. :) I do have a big interest in this because it's something different and I totally agree with you JSE. O0

AKA23, Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful Clint doing a musical will be? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ;) :D ;D

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 01:58:28 AM »

Clint sips his coffee.... looks out across the ocean, deep in thought... then his eye alights on a pile of discarded scripts over by the window. He reaches out for one and BANG !! there it is, top of the pile...and he knows what his next project must be...

Firefox Down.... its time !

Followed by The Dead Can't Dance.... A zombie musical starring Al Pacino....

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 04:50:30 AM »

I'm guessing here but I think they were joking.

If you don't want to see it you can just ignore the entire thing but please don't try and convince us all that we, deep down, have no interest in it either. Like,  so many negative waves...

It's gonna be great,  Clint is going to get a good script, cast some interesting actors and direct another film that further expands people's preconceived notions about him as a film- maker and we're gonna be right there with him baby...

Like, so many positive waves,  how can we lose?

I so agree JSE
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »

Me too  :)

Sonny

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 06:51:19 AM »

I'm excited about this film.  I was worried that maybe Clint had retired.  I don't mind musicals.  I actually loved Paint your wagon.  ;D  I also like biographies so it looks like I get two genres in one.  IMO Clint has only made a handful of poor movies so he's earned the right to be involved in any project he wants.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 07:59:52 AM »

;D  ;D

We were just joking. :) I do have a big interest in this because it's something different and I totally agree with you JSE. O0

AKA23, Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful Clint doing a musical will be? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ;) :D ;D

Because I don't like the idea, and this is a discussion board for the purposes of commenting on Eastwood's career and future. I think that's pretty obvious. I am sure that there are some that would like to see two musicals from Clint in a row, but I am not one of them, and I don't think there are many Eastwood fans that feel differently than I do. If Eastwood fans liked Eastwood's recent choices, his last four films would not have failed at the box office. I am always hopeful for a new Eastwood film, but we will just have to wait and see on this project. I do agree with everyone that has said that Eastwood does have the right to pursue whatever project he chooses to, but that doesn't mean that I have to like his choices ;) 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:18:08 AM by AKA23 » Logged
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 11:45:18 PM »

I'm fascinated by the choices Clint makes. He is never predictable and that is part of his genius. Although a musical certainly wouldn't be MY choice, I'll be delighted to see what he does with it.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 01:16:59 AM »

Will you be putting on the dancing shoes if you get a role, Palooka?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 01:47:58 AM »

As a big fan of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons I saw Jersey Boys in London a couple of years ago..
Its quite a gritty little story detailing the bands links to organised crime...

I can see this as having potential for an interesting Eastwood project...

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 06:41:48 AM »

Thanks, Gant. It's nice to hear from someone who has actually seen the musical. :)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 07:27:17 AM »

As a big fan of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons I saw Jersey Boys in London a couple of years ago..

Gant, since you've seen this, is this a sung-through musical, where almost all the spoken dialogue is through song, or is it more of a standard play with musical elements to it?
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 09:38:41 AM »

More of a standard play where the band get many oppertunities to perform their (many) hits...
theres a lot of drama to it.... I could  see an interesting  script coming out of this..?

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 04:50:10 AM »

I am with you Gant. Having seen it too, I like the idea of Clint being involved with The Jersey Boys. It isn't the sort of musical with most of the dialogue is sung and people burst into song at the most inappropriate moments. A totally exciting story.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »

I think I might have a misunderstanding of what constitutes a musical. If the dialogue is not expressed through song, than why is it called a musical? There is more than one type of musical. One where most dialogue is expressed through song, and this other type, but what constitutes this other type, and what distinguishes it as a musical?
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »

I think I might have a misunderstanding of what constitutes a musical. If the dialogue is not expressed through song, than why is it called a musical? There is more than one type of musical. One where most dialogue is expressed through song, and this other type, but what constitutes this other type, and what distinguishes it as a musical?

So you've never thought of Singin' in the Rain as a musical? As far as I know the vast majority of film musicals are done just like that, normal acting broken up with musical numbers.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »

I've never seen that, Doug. I'm too young to know much about old movies. I need a film education! :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »

I've never seen that, Doug. I'm too young to know much about old movies. I need a film education! :)

You sure do.  ;)    OK then what about Paint Your Wagon? West Side Story, The King and I, Jailhouse Rock, King Creole. Need I go on?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 05:34:08 PM »

I know a lot about Clint Eastwood. Since this is a Clint Eastwood board, that should be enough, right? I don't have to know about musicals if I don't want to! ;)
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »

I think that " Jersey Boys " is always shown at West End in London......If only I knew this news while I'm in London!! ??? And since I know this news, melody of "Sherry" does not disappear from my head !! :buck2: I love it !!  :D

http://www.skynews.com.au/showbiz/article.aspx?id=859810

http://www.theatreticketsdirect.co.uk/shows/8/jersey-boys?gclid=CPGew8KurrYCFcjKtAodXVQAKg

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »

AKA, most musicals (in the American sense) have a lot of dialogue, and every now and again all the action stops and somebody sings a song. Or does a dance. I never cared much for the art form, but some people are crazy about them.

There are exceptions where most or all of the dialogue is sung, though in my opinion ... if everything is sung, it's an opera. Les Misérables would be a contemporary example of this variant.

And then there are musicals like  Jersey Boys, where (evidently) the music is an integral part of the story and even of the action. In that sense, Clint's Honkytonk Man (which most of us think is one of his finest films) could be called a musical.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T