News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite U.S. Cities  (Read 16013 times)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 07:36:32 PM »

Well Matt, since you brought it up, I’ll go with the three C’s in Ohio.

Columbus is a great city, it's got a little of everything.  (well, no major leauge baseball team...yet... :P)

A good shot of the state house which is right smack downtown Columbus on Broad and High...

The beautiful Ohio Theater which has become a staple for all Broadway shows and such that make our way...

Cincinnati because I've grown to love it.  I've passed through it more than any other city and of course the Reds.  However, the inter-city is a little scary.  I remember going down there by myself in '90 to sit in line overnight for World Series tickets and after convincing the guys and gals around me to save my place I went to get a pack of smokes at a gas station at like 3:00am and survived an attemted mugging... :o

And Cleveland because, well, it’s Cleveland.  It’s come a long way since the Cuyahoga River caught fire from the amount of pollution.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 09:59:17 PM »

Now before y'all start saying "But Matt, it's your own thread so you should KNOW it's for U.S. Cities. Last I checked, The Parthenon is in Athens, which is in..... "

This Parthenon is in Nashville.

It's a perfectly scaled replica of the Parthenon, built for Tennessee's Centennial celebration in 1897.  And, inside is another treasure... a replica of the Athena Parthenos, originally housed inside the Parthenon, Athens.  Our "Athena" is 41 ft, 10" tall, and is the largest indoor sculpture in the Western world.

You really need a photo with a person in it to get a better feel for the scale of it. Here's a misc. photo of no one I know from Google images.

If you're not yet enthralled with Nashville sculpture, how about Musica?

This curiosity doesn't appear to be, but it IS in the middle of a roundabout in the middle of Music Row in Downtown Nashville. Yes, you can't miss it, you have to drive around it. It's very strange. Sometimes people dress them up. I prefer the giant clothespin in Philadelphia. But then, I'm not a real Southerner, so what do I know about Nashville art?

The Nashville skyline is gorgeous, and it's best photographed from the John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge (which NO ONE calls the John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge. People would look at you strangely if you asked how to get to it. Just ask for the Pedestrian Bridge). I've shot the city from this bridge several times, but none of my shots are anywhere good enough to post here, so I'll just post a good skyline photo taken from that bridge.

The bridge itself is pretty to take pictures of as well.  It was closed for traffic, and reopened 12 years ago just for walking across. It's the best place to appreciate the beauty of the city.

And then there's the world famous "Printer's Alley", which always reminds me of Philly with the cobblestone alleys, and I don't know... just the whole feel of it. I love walking there... it feels like home. It just ..... lacks that smell. The Philly smell. Look, if you don't know it, you're just lucky. (But, I'd still rather be there than just about anywhere.) Anyway.... Printer's Alley was named that because that's where the books and newspapers and the famous Hatch prints were made at the turn of the 20th Century -- about 20 different publishing companies were in business here... now it's an entertainment district.

What's a Hatch print? Back in the days of the Grand Ole Opry... they were music posters that had a distinct look -- they looked something like this:

(Yes, that IS the White Stripes. Jack White lives in Nashville - I've met him, and he's really cool.)

You can google Hatch prints if you're interested -- they are still really popular in this city.

And now that I've mentioned The Grand Ole Opry, I've gotta show you our beautiful Ryman Auditorium, which was home to the Grand Ole Opry until 1974.

Which is just a little prettier in a fisheye lens.... but without, still nice.

The Grand Ole Opry is not to be confused with the Opryland Hotel, where you can ride a boat inside a hotel....

And I still haven't gotten to the pride of the tourists...... Broadway.  Home to the Honkytonks, and where you can still find Elvis... every night.

This is the only place you can go in Nashville and KNOW you're going to find lots of boots and cowboy hats. I suspect they're almost all tourists though. Nashville is more about Football.

The Strip (Broadway).

You know all those big country singers you hear about that perform live in Nashville? Well, unless they're big enough to play the Ryman (like Reba McEntire and those of her ilk), then they're making the BIG BUCKS playing for tips at places like the world famous Tootsies:

Here's another shot: 

See how small that place is? Isn't that amazing? Now look back up again at the strip. Every door on that strip opens to another honkytonk, approximately the same size. About a 10' stage, and an aisle to get you from the door to the back... and enough width for a pub table and of course a bar.  If you're outside on the street, you can take four giant steps, and be in front of another honkytonk.  Then four more giant steps, and you're in front of another.  And so on, and so on for about 3 blocks. That's "Broadway", AKA "The Honkytonks".  When people say they want to take you honkytonkin', they're taking you here, to Broadway. You won't pay a cover in any honkytonk -- so enjoy just walking in, having a beer, listening to a great band for about 20 minutes, and then going to the honkytonk next door. Live bands every night, all night, in every honkytonk.

They really don't pay their musicians. The competition is so fierce in this town, that they're happy to play for free and for tips and exposure. They'll pass their hat around and sell their self-produced CDs at their shows. A Nashville musician's life is hard, indeed.

And did I mention football?

You could probably poll 100 Americans, and only 4 would know what company LP (of LP Field) was.... and maybe one of the four would be from Nashville.  LP Field has become Nissan Stadium, and I believe they're still doing a facelift. But, the view when watching the games can be great. I've always liked the "Bat Building" (AT&T) that you can see well in this shot.

So, welcome to Nashville. Lots of music, art, and some of the best colleges and hospitals in the world are here. It's not backwoods, or Hick-ville here.... and I think that always surprises people when they spend time here. It's metro.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:39:51 PM by Matt » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 12:59:15 AM »

Nice travelogue, Matt! :)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »

I have never been to Tennessee, but you make it sound like a pretty great place to live! I like places that have their own subculture, and it looks like Tennessee is very unique and has its own charm. Thanks so much for the photo essay! I really enjoyed reading it.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 04:22:41 PM »

Nice e-tour!  I really like Nashville, and these days I go through there once or twice a year to visit my cousin.  I once stayed in the Grand Old Opry for a few days on business, and it kinda felt like being in a really big and fun biodome.

Memphis has some nice spots, but overall I'm not so much of a fan.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:24:26 PM by Conan » Logged

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »

I have never been to Tennessee, but you make it sound like a pretty great place to live! I like places that have their own subculture, and it looks like Tennessee is very unique and has its own charm. Thanks so much for the photo essay! I really enjoyed reading it.

Yeah, I think it's a great town.

Another of my favorite cities is your current city. Would you "show us around"?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »

Nice e-tour!  I really like Nashville, and these days I go through there once or twice a year to visit my cousin.  I once stayed in the Grand Old Opry for a few days on business, and it kinda felt like being in a really big and fun biodome.

Memphis has some nice spots, but overall I'm not so much of a fan.

You stayed at the Opryland Hotel, not the Grand Ole Opry! The Grand Ole Opry is a show! Here's the new home of the "Grand Ole Opry"

And some of their larger shows are held at the Ryman Auditorium that I showed earlier.

Yes, the Opryland Hotel is a marvel in itself. It was nearly ruined by the Great Flood of 2010 (if you haven't heard about it, that's because National News ignored us completely down here. It was and still is devastating -- ruined many lives and businesses.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/03/nashville-flood-anniversary/26832927/

There's a slideshow to look through in that link above for those who like that kind of thing (I do).

And a photo of Opryland Hotel underwater following the flood.

It was closed for business for close to a year, I believe. It's as beautiful as ever now.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:53:48 PM by Matt » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »

Yeah, I think it's a great town.

Another of my favorite cities is your current city. Would you "show us around"?

Matt knows this but many of you may not. For the past couple of years, I've lived in Washington DC. If any board members live in DC or the surrounding area, or come here for a visit and want to get together, I'd be happy to "show you around." But, to be honest, with the exception of my family who came once, I haven't had any visitors. So, I really have not done all the tourist type things that would be needed for me to have enough knowledge to virtually "show you around."

I can tell you that my favorite place in DC is the Library of Congress. Within that, the "Reading Room" is the nicest place. I've been looking for pictures to capture its beauty, but none of the pictures really do it justice. There are some pictures here though: http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/library-of-congress?sort=mostpopular&excludenudity=true&mediatype=photography&phrase=library%20of%20congress

Beyond that, I also like the Georgetown area.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 06:21:17 PM »

Wow, that really is beautiful! I haven't been to the Library of Congress. I had two very short trips to DC, which I will always regret, being from the Philadelphia area and only 2.5 hours away. I should have just spent a lot more time there. So many regrets.

My favorite site was the Lincoln memorial, which my friend and I saw from a distance and walked forever to get to. I remember that walk more clearly than almost any event of my life -- I think it took an hour, and it just kept getting bigger before our eyes.  And then...

We went Inside after that long walk:

I loved the simplicity of it -- just Abe sitting on that big chair, looking out over the water, focused on his country, surrounded by the words that shaped a nation.

This page has a lot of great photos.

http://makeshiftdarkroom.com/photographs/dc_cherry_blossoms2.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:00:04 PM by Matt » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 04:48:27 AM »

I've only ever been to New York, San Francisco, L.A (for 2 days) and Honolulu. I loved NYC. The big city, so many people on the streets no matter what time of day. San Francisco was great. I was only in LA for two days but didn't like it at all. Never felt comfortable walking around. I always thought I'd feel that way in NYC but never did.

But the best most relaxed place was Honolulu. Just lounging on Waikiki beach or by the hotel pool for the day. That was the best holiday, I've ever had.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T