News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Action Movies! (& TV)  (Read 35810 times)
Natalie Stark

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »

What about other RDJ's movies, guys?  Which one do you like?
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »

As I said (seriously) his best role so far.

For me his best (just as serious) so far has been A Few Good Men and The Last Samurai.  Still, as far as actors go, Clint Eastwood is the man!

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »

I'll have to look up his filmography but off the top of my head I loved the first 2 Iron Man movies.  He did one with Val Kilmer that I watched recently that I thought was very good but I forget the name.  Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, I think.

“Eyuh.”
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »

I didn't like Tropic Thunder much but I did enjoy what Robert Downey, Jr. did in it.

Didn't like it much myself either,apart from Cruise's "brief" appearance.
Enough said about this film though.
Right now I'm expecting your Eternal Sunsine thread. :D

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »

Right now I'm expecting your Eternal Sunsine thread. :D

Yeah, um... that'd get me kicked off of this forum!  By the way, yes, it is what I thought:

“Eyuh.”
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »

I think his best performances are in Chaplin & Ironman.

Still, as far as actors go, Clint Eastwood is the man!

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »

Oh MAN!  How could I forget Chaplin!  What a great movie!  LOVED THAT ONE! Thanks for the reminder, Antonis.  I just perused Downey's list of films and sad to say there's not a lot I'm familiar with but I enjoyed both Sherlock Holmes movies, too, very much.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:28:12 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2013, 11:27:27 PM »

About Holmes 3: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38879

Got to admit that i like these films (even though the current TV-series Sherlock is better) and I´m looking forward to see a next one.

Still I´d say that my favourite Robert Downey Jr film is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang ...Iron Man 3 being close second.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:28:58 PM by Hemlock » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2013, 06:11:53 AM »

Age Of Heroes (2011)

This one I got from my dad.  He enjoyed it and so did I.  Being an Eastwood fan, I couldn't help but think of and make comparisons to Where Eagles Dare.  The story in each held my attention and by comparison both are equally entertaining.  Sean Bean is a decent actor and I remember first seeing him in Patriot Games starring Harrison Ford years ago. 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:13:33 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2013, 06:25:52 AM »

The Raid: Redemption (2011/2012)

Wow, lots of action including multiple martial arts fight sequences.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Hemlock.  I enjoyed this one so much that I'm going to pick up a copy for my wife's brother because I know he'll enjoy it just as much as I did.  Ironically enough, I got the call yesterday the dvd was waiting for me at the library and stopped by Target on the way home.  I happen to see the unrated version on sale for about $5 so that's a great deal.  Before long I was rooting for the good guys.  The story is simple enough but executed very well by some decent acting (yes, very possible in action movies) and a good dose of battles, both physical and with guns.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:50:29 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2013, 05:57:28 AM »

The Raid: Redemption (2011/2012)

Wow, lots of action including multiple martial arts fight sequences.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Hemlock.
The story is simple enough but executed very well by some decent acting (yes, very possible in action movies) and a good doze of battles, both physical and with guns.

You`re welcome  O0

Yes the film/story (witch got some similarities with Dredd) is simple enough but quite effective and those multiple actionscenes sure are very well made.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2013, 06:10:27 AM »

You`re welcome  O0

Yes the film/story (witch got some similarities with Dredd) is simple enough but quite effective and those multiple actionscenes sure are very well made.

Damn, I meant to mention that it reminded me of the new Dredd film.  Wonder if Urban will return for a sequel.  Is Raid: Redemption a sequel itself?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:28:51 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2013, 06:34:17 AM »

Warrior (2011)

I didn't expect this film to be so good!  Other than The Dark Knight Rises, where his face is covered, I've only seen Tom Hardy in Star Trek: Nemesis and in ads for This Means War.  He's buffed up so much since Trek that he's almost unrecognizable.  Then again in Nemesis he was bald, too.  I enjoyed this film from beginning to end.  I'm not a big fan of these kinds of competitions but it's well represented here.  Like the rest of the cast, Nick Nolte's acting was very good, too and it was good seeing him in this movie.

“Eyuh.”
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »

I like Tom Hardy and thought he was the best thing in Warrior...Nick Nolte being close second.Although the film has few cagefights in it I don`t understand why it`s labeled as an action film when it`s clearly drama and pretty predictable one too.

Anyways I really noticed Tom Hardy first time in Inception but it seems that I´ve seen him before in several TV-series and some films like Band Of Brothers,Colditz,Black Hawk Down,Layer Cake and RocknRolla.
However I´d say that his best work from his early (TV) work is Stuart: A Life Backwards ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0853153/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_23 ) .Really touching film where Hardy gives really magnificent performance as an alcoholic,homeless person.

And as this under "Action Movies! (&TV) thread I got to say that I`m really looking forward to see Hardy as next Mad Max Rockatansky in upcoming Mad Max: Fury Road   O0
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »

I like Tom Hardy and thought he was the best thing in Warrior...Nick Nolte being close second.Although the film has few cagefights in it I don`t understand why it`s labeled as an action film when it`s clearly drama and pretty predictable one too.

Anyways I really noticed Tom Hardy first time in Inception but it seems that I´ve seen him before in several TV-series and some films like Band Of Brothers,Colditz,Black Hawk Down,Layer Cake and RocknRolla.
However I´d say that his best work from his early (TV) work is Stuart: A Life Backwards ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0853153/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_23 ) .Really touching film where Hardy gives really magnificent performance as an alcoholic,homeless person.

And as this under "Action Movies! (&TV) thread I got to say that I`m really looking forward to see Hardy as next Mad Max Rockatansky in upcoming Mad Max: Fury Road   O0

Good point Hemlock, thanks.  I'm looking forward to seeiing the new Mad Max, too.  Well, I'm not inspired to create a 'drama' movie thread so this is the next best place, given there are fight sequences laced throughout the movie.  I agree that the dramatic acting is done very well in Warrior.  I'm not ashamed to admit at having gotten choked up quite a bit near the end, beginning with Nolte's falling off the wagon and Hardy's suffering towards the end and Edgerton's dilemma at deciding how to handle the situation.  I don't want to give away too much here for those who haven't seen it.  Definitely a great combaination fight/drama film that I rank up there with Rocky, Raging Bull, Million Dollar Baby, Cinderella Man and Rocky Balboa.  I haven't seen The Fighter yet but hear it's very good.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:06:14 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »

Good point Hemlock, thanks. Well, I'm not inspired to create a 'drama' movie thread so this is the next best place, given there are fight sequences laced throughout the movie.
I haven't seen The Fighter yet but hear it's very good.

I did not mean that you were wrong about mentioning Warrior in this thread.As it fits in some degree.I´m against how the film is labeled in the DVD package where it says:"genre:action".

I bought the Fighter about same time when I bought the Warrior and it`s a good film too but gain it`s drama more than an action film.Bale and Whalberg are quite good in it as is the whole supporting cast so it`s definitely worth to watch...even though the ending was yet again predictable ( it`s a true story but I had not heard about it before watching the film).
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2013, 04:41:19 AM »

I did not mean that you were wrong about mentioning Warrior in this thread.As it fits in some degree.I´m against how the film is labeled in the DVD package where it says:"genre:action".

I bought the Fighter about same time when I bought the Warrior and it`s a good film too but gain it`s drama more than an action film.Bale and Whalberg are quite good in it as is the whole supporting cast so it`s definitely worth to watch...even though the ending was yet again predictable ( it`s a true story but I had not heard about it before watching the film).

I agree that Warrior isn't an action movie per se.  It is more of a drama that revolves around fight competition.  I'd say the same goes for all the other fight movies I previously mentioned.  Thanks for your insight on The Fighter, another one I'll have to check out soon.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2013, 04:52:36 AM »

Finally.  This wasn't a great action movie but it's definitely good and I enjoyed it.  Lots of faces I recognize here;  Sung Kang from Ninja Assasin; the lovely, gorgeous and very sexy Sarah Shahi from Fairly Legal (tv); Jason Momoa from Conan The Barbarian and Holt McAllany from CSI: Miami (tv).  If anything, this film is worth seeing due to Stallone's presence. 

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:04:34 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Natalie Stark

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2013, 06:52:45 AM »

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)

It's by far the best Sherlock Holmes movie I've ever seen in my life!!! I was crying in the end (as always) but, I can say, RDJ's role was great  :D
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2013, 06:59:31 AM »

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)

It's by far the best Sherlock Holmes movie I've ever seen in my life!!! I was crying in the end (as always) but, I can say, RDJ's role was great  :D

Great movie & series so far!  I hope there's more!

“Eyuh.”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T