News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Action Movies! (& TV)  (Read 35794 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:25:23 AM »

The tremendous success of The Expendables and the sequel is what inspired me to start a thread on this topic.  I enjoyed the both of them very much and they're amongst my favorite of the genre.  I'm looking forward to the latest sequel and I'd love to see Eastwood in it, even briefly as was Norris was in the first sequel.

I've loved action movies for as long as I can remember.  Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and James Cagney are favorites that have done some great action movies throughout their careers.  This topic is open to all who wish to participate, whether you love this kind of entertainment as I do or even just a little or somewhere in between. 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:43:16 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:15 PM »

Great Topic!  I also enjoyed both Expendables movies.  As far as genres go I actually like Westerns, Comedies, and then Action is my third favorite.  But I do like action movies alot and Westerns actually fit in with action genre anyways.  I also would like to see Eastwood in Expendables 3.  I think it would be great even if it was in a small role.  Alot of people arent for him doing it.  Because they say its a bad way for him to end his acting career on and the fact he would'nt be the top dog.  But I actually believe that Eastwood is not done acting yet.  While it would have to be a special role for him I think that he will act in at least one more movie starring role before its all said and done.  But even if Expendables 3 was his last acting role for me that would'nt be so bad.  And I don't really think Clint thinks about that kind of stuff too much.  He's the type of person if he likes it and wants to do it then he's going to do it regardless if it's popular or not.  So I don't think he's thinking about how he should end his acting career.  Some of my favorite action movie stars are:  Stallone, Swartznegger, Norris, Van Damme, and of course the man himself Eastwood!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 11:48:48 PM »

Thanks, Rawhide7.  Glad you like this topic.  I agree with what you've said about Eastwood being in Expendables 3.  It wouldn't be a horrible career move.  It would certainly be better than what he'd done in Casper!  I read somewhere that he was approached to appear in a cameo in Bruce Almighty but was unable to.  Not that Jim Carrey didn't do a great Eastwood impression for the scene, but it would've been great to see Clint appear in that film. 

I amended the title because there's a lot of great action tv shows and thought it'd be great to include those as well.  Some classics that come to mind for me when I was a kid are The Rookies, Mannix and The Six Million Dollar Man.  I've been watching the classic Hawaii Five-O series lately and love it!  Jack Lord, James MacArthur and the rest of the cast did a great job together on that show.  One thing that stands out in that show is the size of the cars they drove back then!  Right now, the episodes from 1973-74 are what's showing.  I love the opening credits where the camera comes in from far away to a close up of Jack Lord, one of the best opening sequenes I've ever seen for any program. 

A couple of interesting notes about Jack Lord:  He was offered the role of the new Captain on Star Trek but turned it down, which is how Shatner wound up with the role.  I'm glad for that, because Lord fits the role of McGarrett perfectly, as did Shatner did as Kirk.
According to William Shatner, in 1966, Gene Roddenberry offered Lord the role of Captain Kirk on Star Trek, to replace Jeffrey Hunter whose wife was making too many demands. Lord asked for 50 percent ownership of the show, so Roddenberry offered the role to Shatner.
Source: Wikipedia/Jack Lord

Also, he apparently had a brief friendship with none other than The King.  You can read more about that here:  Elvis Presley Appreciation Thread

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:51:15 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »

I enjoyed watching the Indiana Jones films recently. All were very entertaining. I missed the first two on the big screen.  My favorite is The Last Crusade. There's a good deal of action and just enough humor. I loved seeing Sean Connery as Indy's dad.  As for the latest sequel, I got a kick out of hearing Elvis singing Hound Dog at the beginning.  I picked up on that telling the audience a good deal of time had passed between this and the previous sequel.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark is very good, too, very close to The Last Crusade for me.  I did find Temple Of Doom and Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull entertaining, but not quite as much.

I've heard of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, but never had the desire to watch.

Like the Star Wars films, the Indiana Jones series is a great series for fans to own.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:35:01 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of the action genre, but one that springs to mind immediately is "The Rock." I think it's one of the best of its type. The acting by Sean Connery and Ed Harris were great, and the plot is a bit more substantial than is typical in the genre. I don't know if this is considered action or not, but "The Rockford Files" is one of my favorite TV series, and I think, like "The Rock," it's among the best of its type.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »

I was just talking about The Rock the other day with my wife's brother.  Great movie!  Another fantastic appearance by Sean Connery.  I remember The Rockford Files from tv when I was a kid.  I don't think I ever sat through an entire episode but did enjoy the snippets I caught.  Garner's portrayal seemed to be very good and likeable.

“Eyuh.”
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »

I'm planning on watching all of my Indiana Jones movies in the coming weeks.  I've got the complete dvd set of the first three and I bought The Crystal Skull seperately so I could complete the set.  The set was given to me for Christmas several yrs ago and I didnt see any need in buying the new dvd set with the new movie in it.  So I just bought the crystal skull separately to complete the set.  My favorite one also was The Last Crusade and then Raiders of the lost ark.  Very entertaining movies that I look forward to watching once every yr!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:24:53 AM »

That's interesting, Rawhide7.  I remember owning the 3VHS tape set years ago.  I think my wife, Diana & I watched them once.  We got rid of most of our VHS years ago.  What's funny is I only recently came across the Indy 4-dvd set at home.  I'd forgotten that I had given it to my wife for Christmas!  I'm glad to have had the opportunity to watch them all before returning to work (not happy about the circumstances, but hey, c'est la vie).

According to IMDB, "Indiana Jones 5" (as it's being referred to) has been "announced".  Not sure that really means anything but here's the link:  Harrison Ford/IMDB

Contradicting this is a statement on Wikipedia (for what that's worth): that a sequel is not "up and running" due to there being no writer on the project. 
In July 2012, Frank Marshall indicated that the film was unlikely to be announced in the near future, saying: "I don't know if it's definitely not happening, but it's not up and running... It's not on until there is a writer on the project. There is no writer on Indy."
  Source:  Indiana Jones Franchise 

Wow, I almost forgot!  Diana and I went to Disney for our first vacation together when we were dating.  I got to take part as an extra in the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular!  What fun that was.  I'll have to see if I can dig out any photos from that day.  Below is an image from Wikipedia.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:35:43 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »

Wow that is pretty cool!  Ya I was given the dvd set for Christmas several yrs ago back before they made the crystal skull.  So my dvd set includes the three films only.  I would love to have the new dvd complete set with all four films because I think that set also includes a ton of bonus features.  But I just decided to buy the crystal skull separately because I didnt want to spend all that money on the newer dvd set for only one movie, since I already have all the others.  Plus like you mentioned they may be coming out with a fifth one, and if they do then I may then get the new dvd set with all five movies if its not too expensive!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »

I've been enjoying some martial arts movies. Several weeks back, I watched the Ip Man movies on Netflix, and I've been catching some fun Jackie Chan movies.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 05:35:50 AM »

I love watching Bruce Lee in action!   Great stuff.  I remember not liking Jackie Chan at first, making the assumption he was a Lee wannabe.  Gladly, I learned how wrong I was and enjoy a lot of Chan material.

I came across this image and supposedly it's Bruce Lee & Jackie Chan doing battle in Enter The Dragon.  I read on WIkipedia that he worked as a stuntman on this film and Fist Of Fury.

It's difficult to make out Chan in these images, if it is him.  These are what I came up with when searching the web:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:55:59 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:18:45 AM »

I watched Films of Fury: The Kung Fu Movie Movie the other night, and they mentioned that about Chan being in Enter the Dragon and they showed one of the film stills.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »

I enjoyed watching the Indiana Jones films recently. All were very entertaining. I missed the first two on the big screen.  My favorite is The Last Crusade. There's a good deal of action and just enough humor. I loved seeing Sean Connery as Indy's dad.  As for the latest sequel, I got a kick out of hearing Elvis singing Hound Dog at the beginning.  I picked up on that telling the audience a good deal of time had passed between this and the previous sequel.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark is very good, too, very close to The Last Crusade for me.  I did find Temple Of Doom and Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull entertaining, but not quite as much.

I've heard of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, but never had the desire to watch.

Like the Star Wars films, the Indiana Jones series is a great series for fans to own.

I'm actually in the middle of watching all my Indiana Jones movies.  I watched Raiders of the lost ark the other night, and watched temple of the doom last night.  And I am planning on watching The last Crusade tonight and then the crystal skull tomorrow night.  I'm like you Jed, The last crusade is my favorite followed closely by raiders of the lost ark.  Those two are the best out of the set for sure!  And Temple of the doom and the crystal skull like you said are also very entertaining but not quite at the level of the other two.  Temple of the doom and the crystal skull have very good parts that I like alot but there is also some down boring parts as well.  With The lost Ark and the last crusade I pretty much like both of them throughout.  I'ts funny thinking back about the Indiana Jones movies.  They originally offered the part to Tom Selleck who turned it down because he was in the middle of filming Magnum P.I. which is one of my favorite tv shows.  If Selleck would have taken the Indiana Jones role then that would have ended the Magnum P.I. series early and for me it would have ruined Magnum P.I. altogether.  And actually I think Tom Selleck would have been great as Indiana Jones and done a very good job and it would still be a success.  And it would have skyrocketed Sellecks career.  But for me Harrison Ford was the best person for that particular role.  I just think Selleck would have been good just not quite as good as Harrison Ford.  As it turned out Selleck stayed with Magnum P.I. and it continued to be an extremely popular high rated show,  And Harrison Ford became a superstar with playing Indiana Jones.  So I feel like everything worked out perfectly.  The best actor for the role of Indiana Jones played it, and Magnum P.I. was able to finish there popular show.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:09:51 PM by Rawhide7 » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »

I agree, Rawhide 7.  It's like I'd said earlier, I'm glad things worked out the way they did for Star Trek.  Jack Lord turned down the role of Captain Kirk, which went to the perfect actor for that role, William Shatner.  Lord was perfect as McGarrett in the original Hawaii Five-O.

"Book 'em, Jimbo."

"Uh, where's 'Danno'?"

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:06:53 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »

Some action movies I recently had the opportunity to watch over the past week.  The last one I just watched last night.  The others in Maine at my wife's brother's last weekend.  It was nice to get away, help out a little bit and relax after my first week back to work after having been out 3 weeks.  I'd worked well over 40 hours and the rest helped.

Coronado (2003)

This was okay, nothing special.  Entertaining enough, but seemed to drag at times but still held my attention throughout.  I recognized Clayton Rohner after a few minutes and thought, "Whatever happened to THAT actor?"  I remember him in the comedy Just One Of The Guys, which I liked.

Harry Brown (2010)

Seeing Michael Caine in this makes me want to see Clint return as Dirty Harry!  This could easily be disregarded as a British Death Wish wannabe, but it's definitely better than that.  Caine was very enjoyable and convincing in this role and I recommend this action movie to all of his fans.

Wanted (2008)

This one I loved.  Not just because Angelina Jolie stars in it, but because it's just an over the top action adventure film that I enjoyed immensely.  I recall my negative reaction to one of the scenes shown in the ad on television and it was easy to disregard the movie at that point.  This is definitely one of those "suspense of disbelief" types of entertainment, but the action is great and even some very funny moments. 

Dredd (2012)

I like this one, but kind of reminded me of Robocop.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, this movie was good and had plenty of action.  I was sorely disappointed at Sylvester Stallone's Judge Dredd movie so this one more than makes up for that.  Karl Urban was good in the title role and he does a good original series' Dr. "Bones" McCoy in the last Star Trek film (of which a sequel is due next month).  I've also seen Urban in a movie called Pathfinder.

“Eyuh.”
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »

Speaking of action movies, I watched all four Rambo movies over the last few days.  The Rambo movies are some of my favorite action movies.  And Sylvester Stallone along with Clint are two of my favorite actors.  What do you think of the Rambo movies Jed?
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »

Speaking of action movies, I watched all four Rambo movies over the last few days.  The Rambo movies are some of my favorite action movies.  And Sylvester Stallone along with Clint are two of my favorite actors.  What do you think of the Rambo movies Jed?

First, for the hell of it and just to nitpick, what's up with the titles?  Seems like the last 2 are out of sequence!  Rambo III and then Rambo?  Rambo II was subtitled First Blood: Part II.  Ah, who cares, that's Hollywood for ya, right?

My impression of First Blood upon seeing it on the big screen was that I wasn't impressed.  It seemed boring.  The first sequel was awesome at the time it came out!  I don't enjoy it as much anymore but it's still fun to watch.  The third one was okay, but the excitement wasn't there for me like it was for the previous installment.  After being absent for many years, like Rocky, I made it a point to see Rambo and I enjoyed it.  I didn't think it was great but by comparison, it was far better than  Schwarzenegger's film, Collateral Damage.  I've since seen First Blood not once but a few times on television without commercial interruption and have a new appreciation for it.  Stallone isn't known for his acting but I think he did very well in the final scene, talking about his time in Vietnam; the loss of friends and how the experience affected him.  As far as storytelling goes, it's the best of the series but Rambo: First Blood Part II will probably always be my favorite.  It brings back memories because at the time, I was an usher for National Amusements for their Showcase Cinemas in Revere.  A bunch of us ushers were standing around waiting for the final movie trailers to end to queue up the Jimmy Fund ad which would begin our collecting for the fundraiser.  Well, what comes on but the ad for Rocky IV and all of the patrons went nuts!  First, you've got Stallone fans there for a killer Rambo sequel and then they sit through a fantastic, high-velocity promo for his next Rocky film!  Man, did it get loud!  We weren't sure we were even going to go through with the collection, but we did and I'm happy to report their were no casualties  ;D

It'd be interesting to see another Rambo movie, in light of Stallone's comments regarding on how to handle it. 

On February 7, 2012, Sean Hood offered an update saying "Rambo 5 on hold as Sly finishes Expendables 2. He hasn't decided if R5 will be an "Unforgiven" or a "passing of the torch".  Meanwhile Stallone confirmed a fifth installment, saying this one would be the last one.  On March 6, 2012 Stallone said "I’m dying to do another Rambo. He’s in Arizona on the border. It will involve him going into Mexico."

Source:  Wikipedia/Rambo "Fifth Film"

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:15:01 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 09:11:20 AM »

I had the opportunity to watch this recently.  It took two viewings, but that’s not bad considering there are times it takes more!  There are times it may take me 4-5 different sittings to get through an entire film.  To quote John Lennon, “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans”, from his Double Fantasy album, the song Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy). 

So, I enjoyed this film very much.  It’s been years since I’ve seen the first one and I can hardly recall it.  I do believe I liked it, though.  I’ve only seen snippets of the first sequel.  I remember seeing a cameo by Michael Jackson that I thought was silly and needless.  This movie was very entertaining and Josh Brolin was a great addition, pinning down a younger version of Tommy Lee Jones’ character very convincingly.  I could easily sit through another viewing of Men In Black III without being bored and I’m now interested in watching the first one again and checking out the second.   

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »

I watched Jackie Chan's Police Story last night for the first time, but I'd be tempted to go ahead and say it's one of the best action movies I've seen. O0 Chan's performance is wonderful, going from hilarious to dramatic. And like so many of Chan's fight scenes, they're always a lot of fun to watch but also seem very brutal. Not brutal in that they're really graphic, but just that they look so painful and exhausting.

I watched the English dubbed version, but I'm glad my DVD has the original version on it, because I think dubbings can take something away from the actor's performance.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:15:30 PM »

I watched Jackie Chan's Police Story last night for the first time, but I'd be tempted to go ahead and say it's one of the best action movies I've seen. O0 Chan's performance is wonderful, going from hilarious to dramatic. And like so many of Chan's fight scenes, they're always a lot of fun to watch but also seem very brutal. Not brutal in that they're really graphic, but just that they look so painful and exhausting.

I watched the English dubbed version, but I'm glad my DVD has the original version on it, because I think dubbings can take something away from the actor's performance.

It's been quite some time since I've seen Police Story but I did enjoy it.  I'd like to see it again sometime soon.  I've seen a handful of Jackie Chan movies and he's a great action star.  I like that he throws some comedy in the mix, too.

“Eyuh.”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T