News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Action Movies! (& TV)  (Read 35285 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 12:21:06 PM »

I took time out last Friday to see Iron Man 3.  I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t as entertaining as the first two.  This seems to be a trend with Marvel superhero movies, because I felt the same way with the third Spider Man and X-Men films as well.  Perhaps it’s just as well a third Fantastic Four movie wasn’t made but I would’ve been just as interested in seeing that, too.  I’d still like to see a third installment in that series but it’s probably not going to happen or if so, probably with a new cast which would be a shame because I thought the actors in the first two were very good.  It's interesting to note that Chris Evans, who played Johnny Storm/The Human Torch also went on to play Captain America.

Back to Iron Man 3.  The first in this series is still the best and I very much liked the first sequel.  This one was just okay.  I'm hoping for a better sequel the next time and looking forward to seeing this character in another Avengers film. 

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:26:33 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »

Navy Seals and Out For Justice.  I've seen these before, when they first came out years ago.  I enjoyed watching them again, bad as the acting is in Navy Seals.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 10:14:07 AM »

Star Trek Into Darkness was great!  Man, I want to see this on IMAX!  I didn't see it in 3D, either, but I like the poster.  Plenty of action!  I posted about the film here:

Star Trek Appreciation Thread (TOS only please)

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 07:16:11 AM »

I saw this in 3D on IMAX the night it came out and enjoyed it very much.  Very good acting all around and plenty of action.  I'll admit, it's very heavy on the action but I can understand and respect all involved with this movie wanting to keep up with everything that's going on in that regard and even going a little further.  A little less action wouldn't have hurt this movie but after all is said and done, the ends justify the means.  I liked this movie so much I'm planning to return for another viewing with some of the same friends I'd seen it with the first time.  It's so refreshing to see this legendary comic book hero come to life again in a decent movie.

“Eyuh.”
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »

Hey Jed. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed this movie, since I know how much you were looking forward to it. As you know I did not, so I'd love to hear some more information about what I may have missed. I felt the script was very weak and often confusing, and that the actors, while competent in their roles, lacked character development. What about this movie was strong in your opinion?
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »

Hey Jed. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed this movie, since I know how much you were looking forward to it. As you know I did not, so I'd love to hear some more information about what I may have missed. I felt the script was very weak and often confusing, and that the actors, while competent in their roles, lacked character development.

Thank you, AKA23.  Sorry to hear you didn't like it but don't feel bad.  Your feelings about Man Of Steel mirror mine about Green Lantern and a slew of other superhero movies that I won't even bother listing.  At least the very good ones outnumber the disappointing ones.

What about this movie was strong in your opinion?

I thought the manner in which the story unfolded was very good, unlike Flags Of Our Fathers.  I’m using Eastwood’s film for point of reference because to me they are very similar in that regard, switching from present day to past and then back in order to give the big picture, so to speak.  In ‘Fathers’, I found this to be extremely annoying and would’ve rather it be done less or not at all because the subject matter is very interesting and I enjoyed reading the novel.  As for Man Of Steel, this method was very effective.  There was a lot of Krypton represented here and upon first hearing this little tidbit of information, wasn’t looking forward to it but found it interesting and enjoyable after all.  I see your point about the Lois/Superman connection but I don’t believe a love story is the intent here, unlike the first Christopher Reeve installment, where it was intended and very effective, especially when it came to the climax of that movie.  They can always get to them in sequels and I was satisfied with what they touched on in Man Of Steel with regards to their relationship.  I do feel there was a little too much action but that in no way affected my liking this film.  I felt the same way about Transformers 2 but enjoyed that as well.  Considering what Marvel put into their Avengers movie, I expected as much here.  We can probably thank James Cameron for the manner in which Jor-El travelled in one scene, via a dragon-like creature from Avatar but it wasn’t off putting or distracting to the point of annoyance.  No, I actually got a little chuckle out of that one.  By comparison, I recently viewed Superman Returns again and although I enjoyed it a little initially, I don’t see myself returning to it again because I now find it to be too long and boring.  The cinematography was nice and the special effects were very good but it just wasn’t an entertaining film.  As a matter of fact, I also feel the same way about that film as you do about this.  Man Of Steel, to me, was an entertaining film, enjoyable movie-going experience and I’m looking forward to seeing it again be it on the big screen or at home. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:42:06 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 07:30:02 AM »

Commando (1985)

Sad when compared to Stallone's mega-hit from the same year, Rambo: First Blood, Part II.  I came across this in Walmart recently and decided to borrow it from the library.  Definitely not worth owning but was curious to see it in it's entirety.  I remember liking Rae Dawn Chong in the comedy Soul Man and seeing Alyssa Milano shortly after this movie's release in the tv comedy with Tony Danza, Who's The Boss.  This one is pretty lame and even Schwarzenegger couldn't save it.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »

Moscow Heat (2005)

Not bad.  I enjoyed watching the series of events unfold in this film starring Michael York, even though I'm not a big fan of his movies.  It's no secret Alexander Nevsky is a Schwarzenegger wannabe and Arnold is even mentioned at the conclusion of the movie.  Some campy acting but otherwise okay and the action was decent.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:47:10 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »

Mad Max (1980)

I can't remember the last time I watched this one.  I do recall first seeing it on the big screen when I was a fresh, young teenager with a friend.  This was definitely different and a little weird.  Not as much as the sequels, of which I've only seen once.  This was at the beginning of Mel Gibson's career and I didn't make note of what he did until the Lethal Weapon series a handful of years later, of which I enjoyed very much save for the last one.  As for this one and it's series, I like them but don't think they're great.  Maybe I'll check out the sequels again sometime, now that I've watched Mad Max again recently.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 07:40:54 AM »

Ultraviolet (2006)

Man did I enjoy this one!  Not just because Milla Jovavich isn't hard on the eyes, but she's a great action movie star.  I've seen a couple of her Resident Evil movies and enjoyed them, too.  I think I like this one even more.  The story was very interesting and there was plenty of action to satisfy me.  I'd love to see a sequel.

“Eyuh.”
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »

Watched Man of steel, and while it isn't without its flaws, I as a whole enjoyed it.

The first 3/4 of the movie feels like a long dissection/discussion what Superman represents and should be while his (new) origin story is told in flashbacks, with some plotholes/points sprinkeled around on a regular basis.
  The actors do a good job, considering the screentime they have, and especially Amy Adams' Lois Lane receives a much needed boost in both sassyness, inteligence and character, compared to Margot Kidders' Lois from the old movie series. (Margot Kidders' Lois is a Pulitzer prize winner?! Yeah right... With Amy Adams, I actually considered it a possibility)

Henry Cavill still stands in the shadow of Christopher Reeves, but I can definetly see him stepping out of the shadow into the sun, with a sequel that hopefully'll show a more mature, nuanced and experienced Superman. 
The performance/character of General Zod doesn't even remotely look like Terence Stamps' iconic performance as the deliciously arrogant General Zod, here, but Michael Shannon does a excellent job portraying Zod as a fascist militant kryptonian engine of war, without any free will, and the polar opposite of Superman. It is not as much a battle for the fate of the world as it is a battle of principles between the two of them, with more than their very life hanging in their balance.
The pacing of the movie switch between slow and fast, perhaps too fast at times, which is why I think many people didn't like it. I even had a few problems with some of the sudden shifts that occured now and then, but upon a second viewing, most of it fell into place.
The lens flares/shaky cam that shows up several times in this movie was an annoyance upon the second viewing, but it somehow "makes sense" considering how inexperienced Superman is; building crash and crumble, planes and helicopters crash to the ground, and superpunches fly left and right. (I am probalby reading too much into the way MoS was shot, but I hope that we'll see less shaky cam/lens glares in the second movie, as a reflection of how much more experienced Superman has become.)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »

That Man of Steel poster is cracking me up, dane! I do believe that's been photoshopped! :2funny:
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »

Haha, I like the new poster, Dane!  Too funny.  I agree about the shaky camera, something I hope disappears with the sequel if there is one.  I think there will be.  Funny thing is, if memory serves with the release of Superman Returns 7 years ago, there was a slew of reissues on dvd and Blu-ray of the Christopher Reeve series, including the Richard Donner cut of Superman II.  Not only that, but there was a great documentary on the biography channel and I think that's made it's way to dvd as well.  It appears the marketing has been focused only on the movie this time around, no extras.  I think with it's success that may change but on the other side of the same token, unless there's a slew of unreleased material, don't see the need for it.  Thanks, Dane, for your comments and insight about Man Of Steel.

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »

By the way, here's the page where that movie poster came from: http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_610_28-surprising-unseen-sides-famous-movie-posters/
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 02:52:57 AM »

By the way, here's the page where that movie poster came from: http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_610_28-surprising-unseen-sides-famous-movie-posters/

A lot of really good ideas there, but no. 2 is simply hillarious  ;D I don't think I can ever look at the Skyfall poster the same way again.   O0

Funny thing is, if memory serves with the release of Superman Returns 7 years ago, there was a slew of reissues on dvd and Blu-ray of the Christopher Reeve series, including the Richard Donner cut of Superman II.

Your memory serves you well. Superman Returns was written as a sequel to Superman II, which was why they released a lot of the old material, because they wanted to build on Donners movies...
That's a good and bad idea at the same time, because while you do have a solid foundation to build on, you also have some massive shoes to fill, and Superman returns clearly didn't cut it, in any way, shape or form.

So while I'm not overly fond of reboots, I can understand why they decided to start over, even if it meant leaving the iconic Superman theme by John Williams behind, because they needed to have as little as possible to do with the original movie series, even if it meant making some really odd choices. (Case in point; Papa Kents general attitude, and his death.  :idiot2:)     
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 05:24:54 AM »

I know what you mean about motion picture themes.  Jerry Goldsmith created a legendary score for the first Star Trek movie in 1979 that went on to be used time and again.  It definitely fit with the original and Next Gen cast movies.  I didn't care much for the new theme but found myself liking it a little upon hearing it at the opening of the latest Star Trek film, Into Darkness.  While it's lightyears (pun intended) away from Goldsmith's theme, it now seems to fit this new series and I enjoyed hearing it again.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 07:22:45 AM »

Batman Begins (2005) & The Dark Knight (2008)

I watched both of these again over the weekend.  They are definitely a major improvement over the last 2 in the previous series starring Val Kilmer and George Clooney as The Caped Crusader.  I liked Michael Keaton as Batman very much and was disappointed he didn’t return in subsequent sequels but maybe he knew something we didn’t.  I prefer Jack Nicholson as The Joker to Heath Ledger.  The former did so well he outshone Keaton, much like Eli Wallach did in the third Eastwood/Leone western trilogy.  I think it’s because Nicholson’s Joker was closer to Cesar Romero’s version from the 1960’s television program.  Romero’s portrayal made The Joker one of my favorite Batman villains.  Still, I enjoyed Ledger’s portrayal very much.  It’s hard to imagine what The Dark Knight may have been like without him.  Liam Neeson was very good in Batman Returns.  He’s one of those actors that can portray good and evil very convincingly, as he’s done over the years in various films.  I find these movies just a bit too long but the end product justifies the means.  They always prove to be entertaining and there’s plenty of action to whet the appetite. 

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:21:25 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2013, 06:24:41 AM »

Salt (2010)

Angelina Jolie is definitely a very good action star.  She does a lot of her own stunts so much of the action scenes involving her come across as convincing.   I've only seen one of her Tomb Raider movies, so I'll have to revisit that and see the sequel.  This is the second time I've seen this film and I enjoyed it.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2013, 06:27:43 AM »

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

This is the first time I've seen this since it first came out.  Still very enjoyable.  It’s always nice seeing familiar faces; Christian Bale as Batman, Michael Caine as Alfred, Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox and Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon.  Because of his face being covered plus his physique, I didn’t recognize Tom Hardy as Bane.  I realized later he also starred in the last TNG Star Trek movie, Nemesis.  I thought Bane did a great job.  I enjoyed Anne Hathaway’s portrayal as Selina Kyle/Catwoman, too.  A very nice addition was Joseph Gordon-Levitt and I’m hoping his character returns in sequels.I like the series and am hoping for more.  Each of these films are a bit long but overall I find them entertaining and much as a good job as Ledger did portraying The Joker in the previous installment, this is probably my favorite in the series.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:39:49 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »

The Legend Of The Lone Ranger (1981)

Wow, talk about lame.  This is one of the most boring movies I've ever had the displeasure of viewing.  The recent film starring Johnny Depp piqued my curiosity in this film so I borrowed it from my library.  This is one of the most uninteresting, uninspiring movies I’ve ever watched.  It ranks right up there (or down, depending on your point of view) with Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  One word best sums up my view: boring.  I still plan on seeing the new film if not right away, then when it comes out on dvd.

“Eyuh.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T