News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Italian newspaper archive sheds light on Clint's early career  (Read 1937 times)
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »

Yesterday's news

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11715.0

p.s.This is another man's find
p.s.2.Dear mods you do the translating

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 11:06:22 PM »

^ Good discovery. There's some interesting stuff in there. The story on the page pictured above is from April 1964, and talks about the new Western that's about to be shot with Clint Eastwood, Marianne Koch and Gian Maria Volontè ... and Antonio Vico. (Who? The IMDb has him in A Fistful of Dollars as "Uncredited.") The headline is "The Western Peninsula" (namely, Italy). It doesn't mention the director, that Leone fellow. The working title of the film is Il magnifico straniero (The Magnificent Stranger), but as we know, that changed when the film was released later on that year.

And when a film by the title Il magnifico straniero was finally shown in a few Italian cities in October 1967, it turned out to be two episodes of Rawhide spliced together; Eastwood took legal action to prevent its further distribution. Until I saw these pages of L'Unità, I wasn't sure it had actually been seen publicly. Meanwhile, the series from which the bogus film had been appropriated began to be shown on Italian television under the title Gli uomini della prateria ("The Men of the Prairie"):

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:12:54 PM »

I just thought I'd mention that I moved Antonis's post and my reply here from the "Eastwood in the Press (Minor Mentions)" thread in Eastwood News.  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T