News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: movie popularity flop?  (Read 1879 times)
herofan

View Profile Email
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:10:25 PM »

How low does the box-office on a movie have to be to be considered a popularity flop?  I know that technically, if a movie doesn't make back it's budget, that's not good, but what is the lowest intake that would still be considered a decent popular movie? 

This is confusing because some actors have a big name, but don't consistently make a killing at the theaters.  I've noticed that The Lone Ranger is being labeled as a flop, but it has made around $57 million in the U.S. so far.  I realize that is no Titanic, and it had a much larger budget, but isn't $57 million not bad for a recent release?  I'm sure it will make more.  I read somewhere that a critic said Hollywood should have learned it's lesson after Space Cowboys; well, it made around $100 million.  Doesn't that make it a fairly popular movie among watchers?

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »

How low does the box-office on a movie have to be to be considered a popularity flop?  I know that technically, if a movie doesn't make back it's budget, that's not good, but what is the lowest intake that would still be considered a decent popular movie? 

This is confusing because some actors have a big name, but don't consistently make a killing at the theaters.  I've noticed that The Lone Ranger is being labeled as a flop, but it has made around $57 million in the U.S. so far.  I realize that is no Titanic, and it had a much larger budget, but isn't $57 million not bad for a recent release?  I'm sure it will make more.  I read somewhere that a critic said Hollywood should have learned it's lesson after Space Cowboys; well, it made around $100 million.  Doesn't that make it a fairly popular movie among watchers?

The Lone Ranger will be a flop because Disney will likely be in the red on this film well over a $150 million at the end of its theatrical release. That's a big blow even for Disney. Now had the movie cost $100 million to make, they'd be okay, probably breaking even with a chance to make profits on sales and rentals of the DVD. As for what makes a film a flop, it's all about profit and expectations.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:37:03 AM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:00:50 PM »

The Lone Ranger will be a flop because Disney will likely be in the red on this film well over a $150 million at the end of its theatrical release. That's a big blow even for Disney. Now had the movie cost $100 to make, they'd be okay, probably breaking even with a chance to make profits on sales and rentals of the DVD. As for what makes a film a flop, it's all about profit and expectations.

It just seems like when everyone starts screaming "flop," it tarnishes the movie and makes everybody think it's not good.  "From Dusk Till Dawn only made around $25 million, yet it was known as George Clooney's big movie breakout and what put him on the map.  Other movies can make three times that amount and be a popularity flop.
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 02:33:02 AM »

It just seems like when everyone starts screaming "flop," it tarnishes the movie and makes everybody think it's not good.  "From Dusk Till Dawn only made around $25 million, yet it was known as George Clooney's big movie breakout and what put him on the map.  Other movies can make three times that amount and be a popularity flop.

In the end, a movie can flop or suceed in two ways, either financially or artisticly.

First of all, whether a movie is considered a flop or not, depends on which group of people that look at; Take Man of steel for example. It was pretty much universially slammed by the critics and predicted to tank/bomb/flop at the box office, but the moviegoers loved it and it is now a commercial success with a sequel underway. 

But while a movie with good actors and a good story may loose money at the box office, there is always the opportunity for it to become a cult or sleeper hit, and eventually turn into a great financial success via the DVD sale; Shawshank Redemption is the most obvious example of such a film.

I think the reason people are so quick on the trigger to exclaim that a movie is going to/has flopped is because nowadays (especailly during the summer) a movie got one, perhaps two weekends to make an impact on the public (and thus lure more people into the seats) before the next big movie shows up in the cinema. That's 7-14 days to make several million dollars back, not counting the money spend on adverticing the damn things, so it's a bit of a gamble to say the least.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 04:59:46 AM »

That's where you're getting yourself twisted up. It's not a "popularity flop," it's a financial flop. Obviously far, far more people will go see The Lone Ranger than From Dusk till Dawn, but the former cost over twenty times more to make and is playing on probably over a thousand more screens, and they've dumped tens of millions of dollars into marketing, so, yeah, they're going to get people to come out and see it. Problem is, they aren't going to get enough. Not even close, nor does it look like they'll make it up overseas either.

I did read a blog recently that discussed some recent, well-known "flops" and it made the case that some of these flops weren't nearly the money-losers they've been labeled, when it was all said and done with. But the history of cinema is littered with some very well known "flops," which are now considered masterpieces of filmmaking.  Many of these films have gone on to make quite a profit for their respected studio, even if it took them twenty years to recoup their loses. Vertigo is likely one of those films. So is Metropolis... 

Playtime was the most expensive French film ever when it was made in the late sixties, and it had zero chance of turning a profit, because it's just too strange, even for fans of Tati, but it just might be his best film. It's now beloved and considered a masterpiece, and I'm willing to bet the movie has now, finally, turned a profit, thanks to the DVD era.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:03:00 AM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T