News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Ted Post  (Read 3016 times)
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:34:17 AM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/clint-eastwood-collaborator-ted-post-dies-aged-95-8777679.html

Clint Eastwood collaborator Ted Post dies aged 95

Ted Post, the film and TV director notable for collaborating with Clint Eastwood on Hang 'Em High and Magnum Force, died yesterday. He was 95.

The Brooklynite made his directorial debut in the 1950s, and first worked with Eastwood in the 1960s TV series Rawhide. The actor then insisted Post direct Hang 'Em High in 1968.

The two would later fall out during the filming of Magnum Force, with the director claiming Eastwood had ruined his career by giving the impression he directed more of the film than he did.

According to the BBC, he later told an interviewer: "I believe that Clint became afflicted with a touch of megalomania. Clint's greed and ego began to affect his sensitivity and judgment."

His other directing credits include 1970's Beneath the Planet of the Apes, as well as 56 episodes of the Western series Gunsmoke, 90 installments of Peyton Place and the 1981 pilot episode for Cagney & Lacey. As well as Eastwood, he directed Elliott Gould, Burt Lancaster, Chuck Norris and Robert Mitchum.

In 1996, Post formed Pro Bono Productions, which he hoped would showcase the skills of older film makers in L.A.

Eastwood joined Jack Lemmon, Karl Malden and Gregory Peck in publicly backing the initiative.

Post told the Los Angeles Times: “Today we’re living in an era where it's a sin to be old.

"It wasn't true years ago. They were looking for people with experience to guide them.

"But, these days, you’re discarded like Kleenex. It’s a very serious problem.”

His last directing credit was 1999's low-budget film 4 Faces.

He is survived by his wife Thelma, two children and four grandchildren.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:54:29 AM by antonis » Logged

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »

" He also guided Clint Eastwood on TV’s “Rawhide” and in the classic Western film “Hang ’Em High” before the pair reportedly had a falling-out."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/magnum-force-director-ted-post-dies-609803

R.I.P. Mr. Post.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »

Mr. Post directed Mr. Eastwood in two of his hyper-violent action films: the 1968 western “Hang ’Em High,” the first American movie Mr. Eastwood made after gaining fame in Italian westerns like “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”(1966); and “Magnum Force,” the 1973 police thriller that was the second of the “Dirty Harry” films.

The two men became friends in the early 1960s during filming of “Rawhide,” the CBS television series in which a young Mr. Eastwood starred. They had a well-publicized falling-out over directorial control while making “Magnum Force” but renewed their friendship in later years, Mr. Post’s son said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/movies/ted-post-director-for-film-and-television-dies-at-95.html?_r=0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:31:07 PM »

Thanks, MC! I was wondering when the Times would get around to publishing an obituary.

It's good to hear that Post and Eastwood reconciled in later years.

R.I.P., Ted Post!
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 12:24:30 AM »

RIP Ted Post.

I was pleased to read Clint and Ted had reconciled their differences.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:13:53 AM »

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
mike siegel

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »

Here are 3 rare shots from my shop:

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:09:37 PM »

Very nice photos, thanks! 8)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print