News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sudden Impact 30th anniversary "Go ahead, make my day!"  (Read 30436 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 07:05:57 AM »

I can't recall.  I think there was but don't remember.  Not remembering could mean there wasn't because I'd like to think that would stick out with other memories I have.  I think the audience clapped at the end, though. 

I read the paperback and recall the song being played on the radio in the opening scene wasn't what was on film.  It was The Long And Winding Road.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:07:29 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 08:03:34 AM »

I saw "Sudden Impact" in a theatre that doesn't exist anymore , called "Alpha" , in Clermont Ferrand,  first week on screen in France.

The first Eastwood movie I saw with the "boyfriend" who became my husband, Cyrille  ;) 

After the movies, we went to a Chinese restaurant  that disappeared too  :-\

I can't really realize that 30 years have gone ...

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »

My wife and I weren't dating during any Dirty Harry films.  Our first Eastwood movie together was Bridges Of Madison County.  That started a tradition that continues to this day, sans his non-starring movies.  We did see Mystic River together, though and enjoyed it very much.  She was pregnant with Nicholas when Flags Of Our Fathers premiered so we skipped that one and Letters From Iwo Jima.  The only non-starring Eastwood movie we've seen that he directed is Changeling and although tough to watch due to subject matter and the fact that we were new parents ourselves, found it to be a decent film.  We no longer attend the ones he only directs but whenever he stars in a movie, that's us at the (cinema) door! 

The age difference between my wife and I is 5 years so when Sudden Impact came out, she was only 12 to my 17.  The Dead Pool could've been possible because we knew each other but weren't dating yet.  Then again, maybe not because I was 21 to her 16.  Yeah, her parents probably wouldn't have gone for that. 

A few years after Sudden Impact came out found me working as an usher for National Amusements (Showcase Cinemas in Revere, MA).  They made me 'marquee supervisor' and inside one of the sheds that housed the letters under the sign, I wrote out Eastwood's 'large, black coffee' dialogue on a steel post!  :D  It stayed there for a long time.  I tried getting inside a couple of years ago to get a glimpse because I was curious to see if it'd been painted over but wasn't allowed access.   >:(

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 01:00:46 PM »

30 years ago.. amazing.. I was with a Belgian girlfriend when we went to see Sudden Impact... and she hated it

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
davytriumph
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 01:47:37 AM »

I remember hiring Honkytonk Man on VHS as it had a limited released in the UK.
I always enjoy watching the trailers.  Sudden Impact trailer came on before Honktonk Man started.  I had never seen any clips from it before and I was totally blown away, I almost soiled myself with excitement.  I love the breaking glass effect in the trailer and the music.  I enjoyed the trailer more than Honktonk Man.
I could not wait to go to the cinema to see this.  Gees, was I disappointed???  Yep.  I did`nt care for Lockes performance let alone Drakes (Mick) and Neenans (Ray) and I hated the dog, I felt it was too jokey for Harry.  However, I loved the coffee shop scene and the final silhouette scene.  Not a patch on the first three films. 

"Theres three dollars, including the tip"
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 05:20:44 AM »

I remember enjoying it at the cinema but the second time around on video I thought it overlong and agree with most of Davys comments above..

I was lucky enough however to see Honkytonk Man in the cinema in London with a very small audience..and loved it. Still do...

Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 06:33:40 AM »

That tears it, then... Clint Eastwood needs to do another Dirty Harry! :)   (uh oh, I sense another thread here)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:34:57 AM by Whistledixie » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 06:53:58 AM »

I really dont think so...  :)

But it is a shame it went out on Dead Pool... Maybe if they'd waited a few more years and a good writer had come up with some original ideas to see the character out... but it wasnt to be..

At least we got Gran Torino to enjoy..

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 08:24:46 AM »

I'm in agreement there, Gant, about The Dead Pool.  Although, like Sudden Impact I did enjoy it upon initial release on the big screen.  The next time I watch the final Dirty Harry movie I'll try to keep that in mind and perhaps I'll enjoy it again as I did Sudden Impact recently.  I think the closest we'll ever have to another is maybe In The Line Of Fire and Blood Work.  Sure, different professions and characters but both were decent films.

“Eyuh.”
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »

Many reasons I never liked SI..Sondra Locke was in it.. The bulldog I agree was lame and the amusement park scene goes on too long...
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »

Locke had done better in previous Eastwood films.  I never cared for her in Josey Wales but thought she did well enough in the "Which Way" films and Bronco Billy.  Her best is probably The Gauntlet, though.  Pat Hingle wasn't at his best in Sudden Impact, either.  I was glad to see him again, though.  I was familiar enough with him from The Gauntlet, too but his best with Eastwood is Hang 'Em High.  I wonder what it would've been like, had Mr. Hingle appeared in The Outlaw Josey Wales.  Too bad he didn't appear in more films with Clint. 

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »

I thought Hingle was particuarly bad in Sudden Impact...  I thought Locke was ok but generally apart from some interesting camera work towards the end and a couple of iconic Eastwood/Harry scenes its not a great film..
But it served its purpose at the time..ie..a big hit when one was needed..

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 01:18:47 AM »

Quote from: Jed Cooper on December 16, 2013, 07:01:09 AM

I agree, that's a great image.

Really a terrific movie shot.

There is a shot in Josey Wales that it reminds me of. Josey and Chief are riding double-up on Josey's horse, Chief is Guy In Back, when Josey explains to Chief that Chief needs his own horse. They happen to be coming upon a roadhouse and Josey says that maybe he can pick up a horse for Chief.

In the USAF, in a two-person fighter jet, the rear person is always a fully rated pilot who has been commisioned as the Weapons Officer. He is often called the Guy In Back.

The kind of similar shot happens as Josey is walking into the roadhouse. The drama of the lighting doubles the sense of badass as Josey goes into the lion's den. I highly recommend anyone who has not seen it to view it soon. And anyone who has seen it ti see it again. As many times as you want to. Wear out your movie player if you want to. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may do it too. I know where to buy another one.

PS

For a month or two or three, posting on your sight has been wacko problematic.

Working on it? Or is it just  ::) the NSA spooking around again?  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:36:16 AM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »

For a month or two or three, posting on your sight has been wacko problematic.

Working on it? Or is it just  ::) the NSA spooking around again?  :laugh:

Could you be more specific? I haven't noticed any problems, but Richard installed some software updates recently.

Please post your problems here (that goes for the rest of you, too):

Board freaking out
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 02:40:07 AM »

I remember hiring Honkytonk Man on VHS as it had a limited released in the UK.
I always enjoy watching the trailers.  Sudden Impact trailer came on before Honktonk Man started.  I had never seen any clips from it before and I was totally blown away, I almost soiled myself with excitement.  I love the breaking glass effect in the trailer and the music.  I enjoyed the trailer more than Honktonk Man.
I could not wait to go to the cinema to see this.  Gees, was I disappointed???  Yep.  I did`nt care for Lockes performance let alone Drakes (Mick) and Neenans (Ray) and I hated the dog, I felt it was too jokey for Harry.  However, I loved the coffee shop scene and the final silhouette scene.  Not a patch on the first three films. 

C E acting skills have always been so good that often he has not been recognized as being as good of an actor as he really has been. It has so often been like he was captured in a documentary about a real spontaneous happening. Honkey Tonk Man is a good example. The film captured consumately the spirit of the depression era in the midwest and Memphis and Nashville and the torn emotions present in everyones everyday life.

PS to Daveytriumph.....Your icon portrays a motorcycle very familiar to me. It looks like the 58 Triumph TR6 that I owned and rode and loved for many miles many years ago today. Is it a photo of you on your bike or a screen shot of C E from one of his films that I unfortunately have not had the joy of viewing (and recognizing) yet?

Ride like the wind. Indeed.

Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 06:04:41 AM »

Is it a photo of you on your bike or a screen shot of C E from one of his films that I unfortunately have not had the joy of viewing (and recognizing) yet?

Hey MWNA,

That shot is from the end of Coogan's Bluff...saw it a few weeks ago on broadcast TV (which many are surprised to find still exists). Either the THIS or COZI channel. They also played the Eiger Sanction a few weeks before that... and In the Line of Fire. Come to think of it, they're a pretty good Eastwood source.... but I digress.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:07:33 AM by Whistledixie » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2013, 06:57:49 AM »

I'll be honest, the first time I saw Honkytonk Man... I laughed.  I couldn't help myself.  The sight of Clint Eastwood singing was so against everything I'd seen him do before (I'd not yet seen Paint Your Wagon, which produced even more laughs).  I don't believe it had widespread release so I missed it in the cinema.  As it was playing repeatedly on cable, that gave me the opportunity to return to it with an opened mind.  Not only did I ultimately come away liking it (and still do), I even went and got the soundtrack on cassette.  I don't believe Eastwood's version of the title song is on the album and I always thought that a shame.  It would've been better to start of with Clint's rendition and ending with Marty Robbins' as it was his character that completed the song in the movie. 

I enjoyed the soundtrack and listened to it repeatedly (now that I'm taking this walk down memory lane, the same went for City Heat).  I thought Clint handled When I Sing About You and No Sweeter Cheater Than You very well.  They're both very pleasant-sounding melodies.  I think I'll see if those are on You Tube and sing them to my baby girl.  I got a kick out of his line from In The Jailhouse Now, "You mean you only brought one bottle of Gin?"   ;D

I wonder if Eastwood recorded more songs that weren't included on the soundtrack.  I know he sang more titles in the movie. 

A funny line from Honkytonk Man:
"And when's the last time you saw chicken sh*t Jim Bob, when you were shaving this morning?"

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 06:59:31 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 04:55:19 AM »

Hey MWNA,

That shot is from the end of Coogan's Bluff...saw it a few weeks ago on broadcast TV (which many are surprised to find still exists). Either the THIS or COZI channel. They also played the Eiger Sanction a few weeks before that... and In the Line of Fire. Come to think of it, they're pretty good Eastwood source.... but I digress.

Thanks for the info. Not too long ago, as time goes by for me, I bought Coogans Bluff disk but have not yet had the good sense to view it. Will do so soon.

rr-electricangel

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »

Sudden Impact was the first time I payed attention to Dirty Harry. Before that I had never seen a Dirty Harry all the way through. I was really too young to appreciate them anyway. I felt Harry was at his best in this installment. Certain things look campy in retrospect but sequels are like that. Tone always tends to be less serious as sequels progress.

Best line: Well, this is the .44 Magnum Auto-Mag and it hold a 300-grain cartridge. And, if properly used, it can remove the fingerprints.  :coolsmiley:

Clint Eastwood's words of wisdom: "Take your profession seriously; don't take yourself seriously. Don't take yourself seriously in the process, because you really only matter to a certain degree in the whole circus out here."
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »

I was 13 y/o when I saw Sudden Impact at the cinema and clearly too young for it or at least some of the content of the film.The film was in Finland forbidden under 18 y/o for a good reason,I think.( I believe it`s forbidden under16 or 15 nowdays.Today`s kids are more tougher I guess  ::) )
Anyways I did get in and was blown away by it.I had seen some gritty films already as an avid film fan but I remember Sudden Impact being something else at that time.I Felt that films`s tone was much darker than in those other Dirty Harry-films.
I loved the court,coffeehouse and the wedding scenes.Those were very Dirty Harry-esque but I thought this was as much if not more so Sondra Locke`s/her character`s film.Dirty Harry being sort of a support character.I do think that this film is the best performance from Locke that I´ve seen.Liked her in The Gauntlet and in the Outlaw Josey Wales but this is best from her for me.
The ending was pure Dirty Harry,simple solution maybe but it worked for me...and still does.
So I´d say that this is the third best Dirty Harry-film after the original and Magnum Force.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T