News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. James Garner  (Read 6601 times)
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:36:07 AM »

R.I.P. Jim Rockford, a.k.a. James Garner. A one of a kind maverick to be sure...

From CNN email:

"James Garner, the understated, wisecracking everyman actor who enjoyed multi-generational success on both the small and big screen, has died, Los Angeles police said. He was 86."

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:10:44 AM »

Aww, this is the first I've heard about James Garner. I always liked him a lot, especially his Support Your Local movies.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »

R.I.P Mr Garner.

He will always be remembered for The Rockford Files and Maverick.  I watched The Rockford Files without fail as I had quite a crush on him.

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 10:42:10 AM »

R.I.P James Garner.
Sad news...

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 11:08:03 AM »

Very sad news!  I just finished watching the Maverick episode where him and Clint get into a barroom fight.  That was a very classic scene between him and Clint.

R.I.P. Mr. Garner  (Maverick)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:24:32 AM by Rawhide7 » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »

R.I.P Mr Garner.

He will always be remembered for The Rockford Files and Maverick.

Not forgetting ...

R.I.P.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 06:27:32 AM »

Wow, so sad.  I remember watching The Rockford Files when I was a kid.  My dad resembled Garner in the 70's. 

I didn't know Eastwood appeared on Maverick until it was featured as a bonus on the 10th anniversary edition of Unforgiven.  Of course, it was great seeing him work with him again in Space Cowboys along with Donald Sutherland who'd worked with Eastwood in Kelly's Heroes as well as Tommy Lee Jones, working with Eastwood for the first time.

One of his lesser known films that I thought was good, Tank (1984) 

God bless you, sir.  May you rest in peace.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:56:20 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »

Sad to hear of the death of James Garner. I liked his turn as Tank Sullivan in Space Cowboys but mostly remember him as P.I. Jim Rockford in TV series The Rockford Files.
Region2 DVD of Unforgiven has an episode of Maverick with Clint as a gunfighter determined to face down Brett in a gunfight. I don't know if Jim and Clint appeared on screen other than these two occasions.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »

In answer to the poster's question, I don't believe that James Garner and Eastwood worked together on any projects beyond the two that have been cited.

I was saddened by the death of James Garner as well. He lived a long, full, and by all accounts pretty happy life, so it's difficult to get too sad about his passing. I knew that he had been experiencing health problems, so it's not a shocking death, but James Garner was one of my favorite actors. "The Rockford Files" is one of my favorite shows of all time. His character was so iconic, and Garner was a perfect fit for the character. In addition to his iconic screen presence, from interviews and personal accounts from people that had met him, Garner seemed to be a really nice, genuine guy as well. He was an advocate of civil rights at a time when many of his generation were not.  I've never been supportive of efforts to do a Rockford movie or reboot of the television series with someone other than Garner, but I am sad that we'll never see James Garner grace the screens again. As a tribute to Rockford, I hope many rediscover "The Rockford Files" all over again. Rest in peace James Garner!

Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »

I have actually never seen The Rockford files before.  But I am planning on watching some episodes on Netflix over at my parents house either tonight or tomorrow night.  I am also planning on buying Space Cowboys today as well.  Space Cowboys looks like it's a fun movie with four legendary actors in it.  Plus it will fill in a gap of Eastwood movies I dont currently own on dvd.  Also, some of you should check out the episode of Maverick between Clint and James.  Also, were Clint and James pretty good friends?  According to my Eastwood biography I am reading it says that Clint had reached out and asked James Garner for advice during his early days on Rawhide.  But I was wondering if him and James have been friends through the yrs.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 11:46:21 PM »

^ Since Garner and Eastwood did work together, I've moved several posts from the Celebrity Obituary Thread in Off Topic up here and merged them with the thread "R.I.P. James Garner," started by Lucky Punk.
Whistledixie

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 05:56:21 AM »

A couple Clint mentions from James Garner obituaries.

Washington Post:

"Clint Eastwood, his co-star in [Space Cowboys], once called Mr. Garner 'the Fred Astaire of tough guys, making it all look so effortless.'"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/james-garner-leading-man-of-film-and-television-dies-at-86/2014/07/20/878167f4-c5da-11df-94e1-c5afa35a9e59_story.html?hpid=z4

LA Times:

"Turning his attention to movies, Garner formed his own company, Cherokee Productions. . . .Garner blazed a trail, said Clint Eastwood, who played a heavy in a 'Maverick' episode before landing his own TV series, 'Rawhide,' in 1959. . . . 'Nowadays, television actors become movie stars all the time, but back then, in the late '50s, it wasn't easy,' Eastwood said in a 2001 tribute to Garner on Turner Classic Movies. 'There was a sort of prejudice ... the theory being that if you saw him every week on television for free, why pay to see him in a movie?'"

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-james-garner-20140721-story.html

Also saw one that drew a distinction between Eastwood's model of the male hero versus Garner's take on it, but couldn't find it again.
Gerry

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 03:49:07 PM »

Hoping satellite tv will broadcast a James Garner Tribute Memoriam of his biography and his movies on one of their channels?  ;) 8) O0 :angel: Murphy's Romance was one of my favorite JG roles.

Gerry J Hilliard
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »

This is a really wonderful video tribute that Clint Eastwood did for Turner Classic Movies about James Garner. It appears that they were very good friends. It's quite a remarkable video and is definitely worth a viewing. I've never seen Eastwood speak in this much depth and with this much feeling about any of his other costars.

http://moviecitynews.com/2014/07/clint-eastwood-on-james-garner-547/
Gerry

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »

So far, there are only two male actors that I'm aware of that died of natural cause or in their sleep, Jack Palance and James Garner  :). These 2 guys must've led clean lives and had a clean conscience O0.

Gerry J Hilliard
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »

This is a really wonderful video tribute that Clint Eastwood did for Turner Classic Movies about James Garner. It appears that they were very good friends. It's quite a remarkable video and is definitely worth a viewing. I've never seen Eastwood speak in this much depth and with this much feeling about any of his other costars.

AKA23, I fully agree with your assessment. I just finished seeing this video and was about to post the link myself.

IMDb is running two polls to memorialize James Garner.

James Garner, RIP
http://www.imdb.com/poll/TnaB-kt1F8A/
James Garner worked for seven decades before passing away this July. Which of his top roles was your favorite?

Best personification of Wyatt Earp?
http://www.imdb.com/poll/UnrP7-zsSZ8/
Wyatt Earp's story has been chronicled in many movies and TV shows over the years. According to Wikipedia, he was a physically imposing figure for his day, was very capable of using his fists instead of his weapon to control those resisting his authority, and was reputed to be an expert with a pistol. He showed no fear of any man. His deputy Jimmy Cairns described Wyatt as "the most dependable man I ever knew; a quiet, unassuming chap who never drank and in all respects a clean young fellow". Wyatt's manner, though friendly, suggested a quiet reserve...

James Garner is one of the choices.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:33:00 PM by Dan Dassow » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »

I just saw that video and was going to post it if no one else had done so (I see if you hadn't, Dan would have still beat me to it ;D ).

It is a nice tribute.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »

That is a perfect tribute. Thank you for posting it.
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:50 AM »

That is a perfect tribute. Thank you for posting it.
My wife and I have the channel set to Turner Classic Movies (TCM) most of the time. I'm surprised that we have not seen TCM broadcast this tribute on their cable channel. I plan to write TCM a brief email telling them how much I enjoy this video.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »

Turner Classic movies is having a marathon of James Garner movies, which it is broadcasting as a tribute on July 28th. If, like me, you love him from his work in "The Rockford Files," and "Space Cowboys," but are otherwise not that familiar with his work in film, this might be a great opportunity to get some exposure to some of his other great work. If you're already well versed in his career, this is a nice way to experience what made him a star all over again. 

For those who are Garner fans, what are some of your favorite roles of his? For someone not that famiilar with his work as a film actor, what are some highlights to check out?

http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2014/07/james_garner_honored_with_tcm_marathon.html
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T