News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Million Dollar Baby ending (with spoilers): Frankie Dunn destiny  (Read 625 times)
Hocine
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: November 23, 2023, 08:45:17 AM »

Hi everyone,
I am curious to know what do you think of Million Dollar Baby ending: I mean, in your opinion, what happened to Frankie Dunn at the end ?
Thank you
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 12:38:12 PM »

I don't think he committed suicide. I'm not sure whether he bought the pie place or not or where his life journey took him, but I think it was inconsistent with both his religious beliefs as well as his own personal character, resilience, and perseverance to end his own life. What are others thoughts?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 11:38:30 AM »

I don't think I've ever heard that about Frankie taking his own life. Was that a theory for the movie? It's been years since I saw it, but that definitely didn't enter my mind back when I watched it.
Hocine
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 01:54:09 PM »

Well, since I asked you that question, I will give you my answer:

First of all, I do not think that Frankie committed suicide, although some moviegoers speculated and tried to explain on internet that Frankie actually committed suicide because he prepared two adrenaline syringes at least, instead of only one for Maggie. They also explained that Mo Chuisle could also mean my pulse. In the film, that expression was translated by my darling, my blood. I do not think that Frankie will be back at the gym. If you remember, the last shot of the film, before the ending credits, shows the pie place with the silhouette of Clint sitting inside: then, did he buy it ? I am not sure. That pie place represents one of the happiest moments in the film but it could also symbolize death because Frankie made an allusion to his own death while finishing his pie, when he came there for the first time with Maggie. Obviously, Frankie symbolically and emotionally killed himself when he helped Maggie to die. My hopes are that he went to find his own daughter and a little bit of peace and salvation. However, in many ways, like in some other Clint films, Frankie probably became an angel of death, a ghost or a drifter.
To me, Million Dollar Baby remains the best film Clint did in the 21st century and his best role in that same century.
This film seems very simple but it is so rich and complex beneath the surface.
Hocine
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 02:10:05 PM »

I don't think I've ever heard that about Frankie taking his own life. Was that a theory for the movie? It's been years since I saw it, but that definitely didn't enter my mind back when I watched it.

Actually, I remember that I read an interview in which Clint said that Frankie may have committed suicide but he was not absolutely positive about that possibility. He said that it is up to the beholders to imagine Frankie destiny.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 05:53:01 PM »

Actually, I remember that I read an interview in which Clint said that Frankie may have committed suicide but he was not absolutely positive about that possibility. He said that it is up to the beholders to imagine Frankie destiny.

Are you sure about this? Do you have a link? I do not remember Clint saying that.

Hocine is right, Christopher. There are two schools of thought regarding the ending. One is that he committed suicide, because he had two syringes and more than he needed to kill Maggie in his bag, and who would that be for if not for himself? The second theory is that he left boxing, but decided to buy the pie place in tribute to her, or as a way to chart a new, more fulfilling life, given their conversation earlier on in the film. In my opinion, the movie doesn't fully answer this question either way, which is why it's an open debate among many who see the film, similar to the ending of "Mystic River". I remember discussion about this at the time of release. Does anyone know if the movie includes any narration at the end about when Morgan Freeman's character is writing the letter to his daughter and how long it had been since he had been last seen? Another option that occurs to me is that he may just have taken a break to grieve, but may have been planning to return and resume his life? I don't remember the movie including this timeframe, but like others here, haven't seen this in many years.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 08:12:13 AM »

For me he bought the pie shop and started a new life away from boxing..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Hocine
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 03:34:11 PM »

Yes, I am sure about this, AKA23.
That interview was published on Positif (a French magazine on cinema) in April 2005. Clint was interviewed by Michael Henry Wilson. Unfortunately, from internet, I do not have the access to that interview.
Once again, Clint briefly evoked the possibility that Frankie committed suicide but it was not really an assertion.
Generally, Clint does not like to explain his films. He prefers to let moviegoers feeling and thinking by themselves and finding their own answers.

You are right about the fact Mystic River also has an open ending: we do not know whether Sean Divine will arrest Jimmy Markum for the murder of Dave Boyle or not. In my opinion, Sean Devine will not arrest Jimmy Markum. However, Jimmy is conscious about the fact Sean knows what happened.

Here is the cover of that magazine issue (for the interview on Million Dollar Baby):

https://calindex.eu/sommaire.php?numero=530.0&revue=POS

Clint also gave an interview to Les Cahiers du Cin?ma for Million Dollar Baby, which made the cover in March 2005:

https://www.cahiersducinema.com/boutique/produit/n599-mars-2005/

« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 04:44:31 PM by Hocine » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 04:05:50 PM »

I recently revisited Million Dollar Baby.  I think it?s a masterpiece.  Truth be told, I couldn?t bring myself to finish watching after Maggie?s accident.  Perhaps another time. 

As for the ending, there is one simple thing I would alter.  I?d show Frankie and Scrap inside the diner as partners, co-owners.  I would make it clear that Danger was there working and images of Maggie?s boxing represented by photos of her in the ring, as well as posters from her bouts all in tribute to her.  Dialogue wouldn?t be necessary and I?d have the camera pan out so the last image the viewers see is the diner name:  Maggie?s. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 04:08:27 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T